Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

DSC V3

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020 | 10:25 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfl
This exact thing happened to me and my DSC (Mine was a V2) basically stopped working after that. I could "READ" the data but it would hang on all WRITE operations. Paper weight at that point unfortunately and it was past the 1 year warranty so nothing could be done.
It melted ??
Old 01-22-2020 | 11:33 AM
pfl
Rennlist Member

How I found out was on track. The car's suspension started to act funny mid session (suddenly looked like you put it on normal suspension mode) on track and I went all 4 wheel off at 100mph on the same corner at the same entry and mid-corner speed when I should not have.

I then drove the car a bit and suspension was not doing well. So I went to check on the DSC and I saw that the light brown part of the DSC controller got misshaped by heat. I took it out, connected it to my PC and I could READ but couldn't write anything. Thankfully I had my stock PASM controller with me so since then I put my stock one back on.
The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (02-13-2020)
Old 01-22-2020 | 12:09 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfl
How I found out was on track. The car's suspension started to act funny mid session (suddenly looked like you put it on normal suspension mode) on track and I went all 4 wheel off at 100mph on the same corner at the same entry and mid-corner speed when I should not have.

I then drove the car a bit and suspension was not doing well. So I went to check on the DSC and I saw that the light brown part of the DSC controller got misshaped by heat. I took it out, connected it to my PC and I could READ but couldn't write anything. Thankfully I had my stock PASM controller with me so since then I put my stock one back on.
Sorry to hear this, mine appears to be still working, but does that mean I'm near failure? Hopefully I caught it in time and the holes I drilled in the styrofoam can offset the heat.
Old 01-22-2020 | 01:21 PM
pfl
Rennlist Member

I wish I knew when mine was near failure. It's paper weight now but when it was working, it made a great improvement. I would be interested in another V3 this time but need to know if they last more than my last one.
Old 01-22-2020 | 03:22 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Again, has anyone attempted to get feedback from @DSC Sport on this issue?

I would imagine that it is possible (for DSC Sport) to 'flip' the electronic components internally such that the radiator faces up. What's not obvious is:
- will that 'cure' the problem
- if heat exchange *is* the problem rather than a component problem being the culprit
- if the warping of the case is the cause or effect
The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (02-13-2020)
Old 01-22-2020 | 06:02 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

^ I just sent them a link to this thread. Stay tuned
Old 01-22-2020 | 06:47 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

They should replace the melted ones. I had one on my Zo6.
Old 01-22-2020 | 08:39 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
I had one on my Zo6.
A melted one?
Old 01-22-2020 | 09:34 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
A melted one?
No, it never melted or caused any issues. Full disclosure, I didn't feel a big difference, but in all fairness I run 1/4's and not tracks.
Old 01-23-2020 | 08:39 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

I check mine when I see a thread like this, still looks like the day I installed it, and love it every time I go for a drive
Old 01-23-2020 | 01:06 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you for all the feedbacks. Before jumping to conclusions please allow us to present some facts.

Facts:
1) Over the past 5 years we have sold many 991/981 DSC controllers. Of all the 991/981 controllers sold we have only seen a small number of controller with distorted plastic shell(the stats is in a low single digit percentage).
2) We tested those units that were sent in for warranty inspection and found no correlation between the DSC functioning properly and distorted plastic shell. Meaning the DSC will still function as intended with a distorted plastic shell. The distortion is cosmetic.
3) The normal operating temperature of both the factory PASM controller and the DSC controller is in the 150-190F degrees range (if you have swapped out the factory PASM controller immediately after a half hour drive the metal shell will burn your fingers!). The DSC circuit board is good for 257F, which is 35% above the high end of normal operating temp range.
4) Ironically, driving spiritedly and on track, the suspension controller actually does run in the cooler end of the operating temperature range. This is because on all Porsche cars it takes less electrical current for the shocks to be in the firmer setting.
5) If the DSC calibration file has been altered by another party to an extreme matter it may run hotter based on the request of the file.
6) We have conducted a lot of street and track testing on multiple DSC controllers over time and we are unable to duplicate the condition of distorting the plastic shell on 991/981 cars.
7) Our stats indicate the distorted plastic shells come from hotter temperature regions(i.e. Texas and Southern Ca.), we think the combination of intense sun light on the rear glass + the heat transfer from the engine compartment + operating temp of usage met the temperature threshold of plastic distortion.
8) Having software communication error has no correlation to the DSC command function. The comm function is completely different from the input-to-output function of the DSC. Comm error can usually be fixed by firmware which has no correlation to DSC controlling the shocks.
9) Any DSC controller can be sent to us for testing.

For warranty claims please either contact us directly or your authorized DSC dealer.
info@dscsport.com

Prior to this thread we were unaware of the OP's concern. Now that we are aware we will contact the OP.

Thank you for reading.
Tom

sales@dscsport.com | (410) 799-7798
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
The following 6 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
4flynlow (01-26-2020), KONG991TT (01-25-2020), Meraki Autoworks (01-23-2020), Need4S (01-26-2020), rodsky (01-23-2020), the_buch (01-25-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2020 | 03:39 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

I got a PM from DSC offering to test my DSC V3 because of the warping. I will put it in the mail tomorrow. I only mention this to point out the fantastic customer service from a 1st class vendor. If you do any spirited driving or track your car I highly recommend the DSC module for your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim M.:
4flynlow (01-26-2020), Meraki Autoworks (01-23-2020)
Old 01-25-2020 | 12:57 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I got a PM from DSC offering to test my DSC V3 because of the warping. I will put it in the mail tomorrow. I only mention this to point out the fantastic customer service from a 1st class vendor. If you do any spirited driving or track your car I highly recommend the DSC module for your car.
Cool. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-25-2020 | 01:15 PM
pfl
Rennlist Member

Mine has been non operational for a while and I got no PMs from them. Nice to know they supported you but no support for me.

Originally Posted by Jim M.
Old 01-25-2020 | 02:17 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfl
Mine has been non operational for a while and I got no PMs from them. Nice to know they supported you but no support for me.
Did you contact them about yours?

Quick Reply: DSC V3