22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Turbo or CT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 06:37 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

If you already plan to modify it, I would probably go with the Turbo. Getting more power out of it will be easier. Will be more comfortable on the street as well.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:44 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

This is a silly poll unless you provide a lot more behind the poll - e.g. for what purpose do you plan to use the car.. Why not ask Cayenne vs GT3? Or Bentley vs GT3. In some instances a Cayenne is much better than a GT3 e.g. in inclement weather, when you need to transport 4 people, need some more storage space, if you like higher riding vehicles etc.

I would buy a GT3 if i wanted a raw, NA 9000 rpm, canyon carver, track weapon, handling monster, great soundtrack. I would buy a TT (regardless of mods) for an amazing sporty GT vehicle thats super fast, a little bit more refined, the Burmester, can use DD very easily, flies under the radar, classy, still carve canyons but take the wife to a great date night etc. Different horses for differnt purposes. You basically need both - so i'm not voting

Old 01-17-2020, 11:13 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
This is a silly poll unless you provide a lot more behind the poll - e.g. for what purpose do you plan to use the car.. Why not ask Cayenne vs GT3? Or Bentley vs GT3. In some instances a Cayenne is much better than a GT3 e.g. in inclement weather, when you need to transport 4 people, need some more storage space, if you like higher riding vehicles etc.

I would buy a GT3 if i wanted a raw, NA 9000 rpm, canyon carver, track weapon, handling monster, great soundtrack. I would buy a TT (regardless of mods) for an amazing sporty GT vehicle thats super fast, a little bit more refined, the Burmester, can use DD very easily, flies under the radar, classy, still carve canyons but take the wife to a great date night etc. Different horses for differnt purposes. You basically need both - so i'm not voting
Good synopsis.......if only one it would be the TT as it is more versatile relative to being able to not have a headache on trips around town......having both is the real answer though....if this poll as written goes on GT3 forum, different result with GT3 winning the poll
Old 01-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

Someone else posted this, I was the first to respond and then it got moved. For some reason it is showing me as the first poster now.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:25 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 1,080 Posts

I thought you were talking about this:

But, I see now that your thread title is simply upgephuked.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:36 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,137 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Perhaps a better question would be:

Pressurized or Normally Aspirated...

To which I would respond: Both.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:41 AM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Some will think the choice between a GT3 and a TT would not be difficult at all. If this is a serious question maybe you need to discover the fundamental differences first hand. I see a huge difference between the two and the ease of modifying either could not be a determining factor in my choice between them.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:47 PM
speed doc
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2015 TT and a 19 GT3RS. I take the turbo out of the garage 9 out of 10 times. The power delivery is addicting!! Both great cars though. More looks in the RS for sure.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:46 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Good synopsis.......if only one it would be the TT as it is more versatile relative to being able to not have a headache on trips around town......having both is the real answer though....if this poll as written goes on GT3 forum, different result with GT3 winning the poll
Love your P car collection dude and nice clean garage...let me guess, no kids? haha
Old 01-19-2020, 12:24 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 559 Posts

No kids anymore but it has always looked about the same
Old 01-19-2020, 02:23 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Coming out of a 700'ish HP 996 Turbo, I drove a 2016 GT3...then went and bought a 991 Turbo S, without even driving one.

The Turbo is a better street car and a better platform for modifying and getting more power, of course.

The only issue I have with it is that it sounds like a cross between a Camry and a vacuum cleaner . Very little sound...way too understated stock. Some like it that way but I have exhaust going on next week where that will change for me.

Although it'll never have the glorious sound of a NA GT car, once I'm done with it, there isn't a GT car that will keep up with it either.

The GT car might hold it's value better and IMO has a cool factor/allure that can't be replicated with a turbo.

With either choice, you're gaining and/or giving up specific things.

Different strokes. Think carefully through your use case(s), wants, and future plans with the car (if any). The choice should be pretty clear.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:58 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,854 Likes on 5,175 Posts

I've said it elsewhere before and I'll say it here again.

The Turbo makes you feel like a better driver than you are.

The GT3 makes you want to be a better driver.

Pick your raison d'être.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:32 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Pick your raison d'être.
Eh, I disagree. Any car requires your best if you want to drive well. The TTS is faster than most cars, but to get the most of it and be faster than other TTS's required your desire to be a better driver. It's not the car, it's what you do with it.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:46 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,137 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If one is to look at the evolution of the turbo, 930 g body through to today's 991.2tts, Porsche has pretty much nailed the cars evolution to repeat customers based on an original sale.

Looking at my boss as an example, he bought his first turbo in 1983, second one in 2003 and his third one in 2018 - when going through the purchase process, I had suggested that he looked at something a little more tame (as he is 76...) with a manual, such as the GT3 Touring. He wouldn't have any of it, his position is that he was a 'turbo' man through and through.

And when you step back and look at the evolution of the car, the 930 was pretty hairy chested, the 996 was the first attempt at a mass produced 'civil turbo', and of course the 991.2 is so benign in it's stock state, you could very easily be driving something else that is that quiet and from a different manufacturer ... Enter the GT class of Porsche; hairy chested cars for those that don't get old and that sound the part and those that can kill you with relative ease.

I think Porsche has not only respected its base demographic that has been with them for 30-40 years, but also really understands it. The 991.2 turbo s is a culmination of insane speed, with gentleman's civility.

And now, with the advent of the 992, it looks as if the turbo is somewhat going back to it roots, most likely in an effort to bring in a new, younger demographic, with more power, dual mode exhaust, digital binnacle (actually, is there a binnacle at all anymore?), etc. etc.

Right now, one of my friends is looking at a GT3RS - he has two kids, my age, lives in Paris. I point out that as we get older, some of the things we appreciated when younger (open exhaust, wash board suspension ride, nothing resembling insulation, roll bars, and of course, wings...) are not really all that appealing anymore - he doesn't care, because his frame of reference for owning Porsche's included an SC, a couple of NA 993s and that's it - he has no interest in the turbo, because I think, he has no time in it and has the preconceived idea that it is going to suck on the track.

Different times, different demographics and the breakout of that evolution of customer is coming with the 992. Ultimately I think folks are going to go with what they know and are comfortable with, as repeat buyers..

Last edited by 2fcknfst; 01-19-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:01 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Pick your raison d'être.

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Eh, I disagree. Any car requires your best if you want to drive well. The TTS is faster than most cars, but to get the most of it and be faster than other TTS's required your desire to be a better driver. It's not the car, it's what you do with it.

Totally agree with you here Randy.

That was clever sounding nonsense, IMO.

GT3's may be more-raw, more tightly sprung, track focused machines that require higher rev's to stay in the power (different characteristics than a stock turbo for sure) but it takes great skill to wring the limits out of either platform. Either platform begs you to become a better driver.

I'd argue further that as the power of a modified Turbo well exceeds the GT3, it takes even more skill to drive it at the limits.

A bit of a stretch in comparison but still relevant IME:
With most of my track time spent on bikes, I found that the race prepped, built 600cc GSXR was much easier and more forgiving on track than my much more powerful, stock 1000cc GSXR.