Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Turbo or CT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 02:24 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,136 Likes on 3,129 Posts

That makes sense - the 600 has to be some tens of pounds lighter than a liter class bike, not to mention more compact - shorter wheelbase even?

It will be harder and require more focus to have a GT NA car keep pace with its turbo brethren in the hands of most drivers; in the hands of the top 1% drivers, I am sure the GT cars would dominate.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:51 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
That makes sense - the 600 has to be some tens of pounds lighter than a liter class bike, not to mention more compact - shorter wheelbase even?

It will be harder and require more focus to have a GT NA car keep pace with its turbo brethren in the hands of most drivers; in the hands of the top 1% drivers, I am sure the GT cars would dominate.

When I was doing bikes...I was in the 2010 GSXR platform. The 2010 600cc was considerably lighter (about 90lbs) in stock trim. Wheel base for the 600cc was almost the same, only .2" shorter.

Regarding my comparison above - the race prepped 600 with a track suspension setup, lighter weight (and requiring higher rev's to stay in the power) made it a different experience than the stock 1000cc. The better track suspension setup, less weight and power level made the 600 easier to ride. The raw power made the 1000cc that much more more fun to me. The 1000cc was a scary beast and after fully track built, even more so.

With that said, I learned about the importance of seat time and skills (vs the advantages of equipment)...I had more-experienced, higher level riders on 600's passing me on my much more powerful 1000cc bike.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:40 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MotoJB
When I was doing bikes...I was in the 2010 GSXR platform. The 2010 600cc was considerably lighter (about 90lbs) in stock trim. Wheel base for the 600cc was almost the same, only .2" shorter.

Regarding my comparison above - the race prepped 600 with a track suspension setup, lighter weight (and requiring higher rev's to stay in the power) made it a different experience than the stock 1000cc. The better track suspension setup, less weight and power level made the 600 easier to ride. The raw power made the 1000cc that much more more fun to me. The 1000cc was a scary beast and after fully track built, even more so.

With that said, I learned about the importance of seat time and skills (vs the advantages of equipment)...I had more-experienced, higher level riders on 600's passing me on my much more powerful 1000cc bike.
That's a pretty cool hobby - I have a great respect for those guys, seemingly defying the laws of physics... I have a bike which I admittedly haven't driven much in the past few years because as I get older, I am not so worried about my skills (road, not race), but I am terrified of some 3 - 4000lb missile coming out from a side street and walloping me - a regular occurrence in Vancouver nowadays.

Were you building/racing these yourself? Do you still run it? You guys get all the fun tracks and hobbies...

The following users liked this post:
MotoJB (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 05:00 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

That's a pretty cool hobby - I have a great respect for those guys, seemingly defying the laws of physics... I have a bike which I admittedly haven't driven much in the past few years because as I get older, I am not so worried about my skills (road, not race), but I am terrified of some 3 - 4000lb missile coming out from a side street and walloping me - a regular occurrence in Vancouver nowadays.

Were you building/racing these yourself? Do you still run it? You guys get all the fun tracks and hobbies...
Some of the best times of my life and best people I've met were around my motorcycle hobby and track racing days. A somewhat band of brothers type of thing. Sadly, I knew several guys that paid the ultimate price for this hobby. This is why I don't ride the street any longer and have hung up my leathers (that I don't fit into anymore, lol). Yeah, too many risks on the road and I could never keep my speed in check.

Anyhow, I did some of my own wrenching but had a mechanic friend at a shop mostly build and race prep my bikes. I also had a suspension guru I worked with at the track. Yep, we're very spoiled in CA with Willow Springs, Laguna, Infineon, Buttonwillow, Thunderhill.

Here's a couple shots at Buttonwillow. My old glory days.

Getting used to the new bike in stock trim (dragging parts):

Later that year, after it was fully built:

Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mad props to you JB, that is awesome! Especially the grinding of parts to make them fit properly...

I was never skilled enough (and also probably way to top heavy) to get much more than 6/10ths, maybe 7 if I was feeling super daring. Some of the guys I used to ride with were using all of their rear tire and making corners that just seemed impossible. Plus, most of them were like 90lbs soaking wet, and all of them were riding R1s, which I think was similar to the Suzuki setup in that they crammed a one liter mill in a much smaller chassis. It was impressive nonetheless.

I wore the beanie in town because if I knew I was wearing it, I would not be speedy - because, like you, once on the highway I would find my speed kept creeping upwards, sometimes unnoticed, other times intentional. An interesting side note, the guy who took care of my Blackbird was a Jr. HRC rider, but then got out of it and is now my service advisor at Porsche in Vancouver!

A small, strange world it is...
MotoJB (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 05:38 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

My 5th and last bike (30 years ago) ended my 2 wheel days shortly after my main riding buddy t-boned a old lady who went through a red light and turned left in front of him...zero time to react...he went in through the side door window (sedan) and exited leaving his helmet inside..yes terminal
Luckily I was some distance behind and it could have been me if my number was up...or even we both could have met our fate that day...
Old 01-20-2020, 06:10 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, that sucks. My accountant is the primary force behind me not riding anymore - he keeps quoting stats like yours, and noting that I am not as young as I used to be, pushing the idea that I have used up all of my nine lives and more...

Then, there's insurance... of which I am also reminded of on an ongoing basis.
MotoJB (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:28 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Some of the best times of my life and best people I've met were around my motorcycle hobby and track racing days. A somewhat band of brothers type of thing. Sadly, I knew several guys that paid the ultimate price for this hobby. This is why I don't ride the street any longer and have hung up my leathers (that I don't fit into anymore, lol). Yeah, too many risks on the road and I could never keep my speed in check.

Anyhow, I did some of my own wrenching but had a mechanic friend at a shop mostly build and race prep my bikes. I also had a suspension guru I worked with at the track. Yep, we're very spoiled in CA with Willow Springs, Laguna, Infineon, Buttonwillow, Thunderhill.

Here's a couple shots at Buttonwillow. My old glory days.

Getting used to the new bike in stock trim (dragging parts):

Later that year, after it was fully built:
wow - awesome shots! Glad you survived and gave it up ..

So much fun but so dangerous. Lets stick to TT's now..
MotoJB (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:28 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Mad props to you JB, that is awesome! Especially the grinding of parts to make them fit properly...

I was never skilled enough (and also probably way to top heavy) to get much more than 6/10ths, maybe 7 if I was feeling super daring. Some of the guys I used to ride with were using all of their rear tire and making corners that just seemed impossible. Plus, most of them were like 90lbs soaking wet, and all of them were riding R1s, which I think was similar to the Suzuki setup in that they crammed a one liter mill in a much smaller chassis. It was impressive nonetheless.

I wore the beanie in town because if I knew I was wearing it, I would not be speedy - because, like you, once on the highway I would find my speed kept creeping upwards, sometimes unnoticed, other times intentional. An interesting side note, the guy who took care of my Blackbird was a Jr. HRC rider, but then got out of it and is now my service advisor at Porsche in Vancouver!

A small, strange world it is...
I was skilled enough to have fun with the big boys and hold my own...even did 1:1 instruction with former AMA/WSBK rider Doug Chandler...but there were a handful of guys out there on another level (of course, there always is).

I am also a big guy. I was 6'2, 225lbs and barely fit on that 1000cc.

Originally Posted by Nanook
My 5th and last bike (30 years ago) ended my 2 wheel days shortly after my main riding buddy t-boned a old lady who went through a red light and turned left in front of him...zero time to react...he went in through the side door window (sedan) and exited leaving his helmet inside..yes terminal
Luckily I was some distance behind and it could have been me if my number was up...or even we both could have met our fate that day...
Awful.

Exactly why I stopped riding the street. I almost died 10x over on the street...then went track only. Once I was done with the track, I sold the bikes. Just not going to risk riding the street. 2 years later, another racing buddy died on the street. Cages only for me now.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:31 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

And then there's...
MotoJB (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:40 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Isle of Mann, killing someone annually, for the last century...

Boy those guys are flying!
MotoJB (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:43 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Must hurt sitting on those big berries
MotoJB (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:52 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I figured golden, shoes, WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY up there...

Old 01-20-2020, 06:57 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am also a big guy. I was 6'2, 225lbs and barely fit on that 1000cc.

Tell me about it - the pic above, I am 6'3" and (heavier) than 225 standing beside a liter class sport/touring bike... and I felt cramped...
MotoJB (01-21-2020)