Sponsored by: Road Spy

changes between 2017-now on 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 01:30 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by indesj01
so anyone see any major reason to buy a 2019 or 18 over a low low mile 17?
Not that I could determine, but I bought a 19 anyways because high local used '17-18 prices just made it a clearly better value all things considered.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:36 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

I got a '19 cause they are the fastest...faster than the 991.1....just read... the proof is in this forum ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Nanook:
Lance 4c (01-15-2020), usrodeo4 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 02:53 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 575 Posts

Back to question...........trivial but Graphite Blue Metallic and Sapphire Blue Metallic on Turbo and S was discontinued as standard color in 2019.........there was a third color but I can't remember.........
Old 01-15-2020, 02:54 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Rhodium Silver was also discontinued; pretty sure I have the last one, in Canada, at least.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:14 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

so anyone see any major reason to buy a 2019 or 18 over a low low mile 17?
Nope.. It really comes down to price/availability/mileage/CPO/options/warranty. Year doesnt really matter - IMO. Obviously if a 2018 and 2017 are equal in price and everything else - i'd take the 18..
The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 03:28 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Rhodium Silver was also discontinued; pretty sure I have the last one, in Canada, at least.
thats it!
Old 01-15-2020, 04:13 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys. The only one with all the options I want is currently is the 2017 it actually has less than 1k miles remarkably and is CPO'd. They want 180 it was 250 ordered but I still think that is high. Titled twice which the dealer which was the original dealer said was not an issue. I am dealing with the gut that built it originally and sold it to the second guy that was just waiting for a 19 to be done. All in all the car looks awesome I just would wait or find an 18 or 19 if there were changes that matter.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:24 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

indesj01,

I just lifted a '19 turbo s w/ 800 miles on it for my blowout build. Looked hard at '17-'19 and seriously the differences are very minor. I lifted the '19 because it was a PTS in aqua blue metallic and it was cheaper than many of the '18's I was looking at. Seems as if the pricing pressure is coming from some on the lot discounting (I saw a lot of new ones that were coming off sticker pretty dramatically) and there is a boat load of inventory in the market. I would just be patient and find the colors/options you want and be indifferent to the model year. I was surprised on a '19 with a $245K sticker I could get done in the low 180's and the car is perfect (going to tear her to shreds now w/ Sammy but that's a different story) I had a few others I was teeing up (miami blue convert that was a '19) as well as a bunch of '18's and '17's. Happy to help, if you have any specific colors your looking for I did a ton of work.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:56 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

If a used car is highly optioned it can seem like you're getting a huge savings off its original MSRP but you might still be way overpaying. Price out a '19 at MSRP with only options you really must have and then deduct 4% or more for discount. Compare that to the used car offerings and see if there is enough savings for 2 or 3 year's depreciation on an '18 or a '17 and the reduced warranty coverage. Maybe good value, maybe not, but $!80k sounds high on any '17. Tons of options simply don't add much value at resale time.

I was trying to keep the weight down when ordering my '19 and research clearly indicated that the front axle lift was something not required on a Turbo unless you have some kind of a specific clearance challenge. I chose lighter weight and more headroom by skipping a sunroof that I basically never use on many other cars, and I really did not want the radar cruise control which I've had and didn't want again. Bose sounds good to me but Burmester is no doubt better.

So price out your must have option build and deduct whatever discount you think can be had. If you find a used car with at least those must have options you can place a depreciated value on that car. That will put you in the best negotiating position because you have an actual value on the car you want and it will put the dealer in the position of getting his down if he wants to entice you. And if you want to pay more for any additional options the car has then you've got some room to come up to hopefully meet where the price probably should be. My dealer told me the reason his used cars were so expensive was the different way the dealer costs out used vs new. He said to consider the extra cost of a used car as a premium to be able to drive it home right away.

Which brings me to my last bit of advice...the party with the power in a negotiation is the one whose prepared to walk away from it. I suggest you be that one as the game is otherwise completely rigged against you. .

Good luck!.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
Jt0230 (01-18-2020), usrodeo4 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:21 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Can a 2019 TTS still be optioned and built? Thought 991.2 builds were done in Dec after the last Speedster was built.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:34 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
If a used car is highly optioned it can seem like you're getting a huge savings off its original MSRP but you might still be way overpaying. Price out a '19 at MSRP with only options you really must have and then deduct 4% or more for discount. Compare that to the used car offerings and see if there is enough savings for 2 or 3 year's depreciation on an '18 or a '17 and the reduced warranty coverage. Maybe good value, maybe not, but $!80k sounds high on any '17. Tons of options simply don't add much value at resale time.

I was trying to keep the weight down when ordering my '19 and research clearly indicated that the front axle lift was something not required on a Turbo unless you have some kind of a specific clearance challenge. I chose lighter weight and more headroom by skipping a sunroof that I basically never use on many other cars, and I really did not want the radar cruise control which I've had and didn't want again. Bose sounds good to me but Burmester is no doubt better.

So price out your must have option build and deduct whatever discount you think can be had. If you find a used car with at least those must have options you can place a depreciated value on that car. That will put you in the best negotiating position because you have an actual value on the car you want and it will put the dealer in the position of getting his down if he wants to entice you. And if you want to pay more for any additional options the car has then you've got some room to come up to hopefully meet where the price probably should be. My dealer told me the reason his used cars were so expensive was the different way the dealer costs out used vs new. He said to consider the extra cost of a used car as a premium to be able to drive it home right away.

Which brings me to my last bit of advice...the party with the power in a negotiation is the one whose prepared to walk away from it. I suggest you be that one as the game is otherwise completely rigged against you. .

Good luck!.
thanks Bruce much appreciated. Any quick way to calculate depreciation on a 17 or just Kelley blue book?
Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

As a seller, you typically don't expect to recoup the cost of options and take the biggest depreciation hit on a high option car. Sounds like that dealership is trying to buck the trend by pricing a CPO 2017 at $180k.

$180k isn't too far from a used 2019 TTS with delivery miles, so I would walk unless that particular 2017 has all of your must-have options (still not sure how it was larded up to a $250k msrp).

And remember there is a ton of inventory (used and new) just sitting on dealer lots. One of my local dealers has 10 (ten!!!) NEW 2019 TTS sitting on lot, unsold.
usrodeo4 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 01:39 AM
Bruce H.
Racer

thanks Bruce much appreciated. Any quick way to calculate depreciation on a 17 or just Kelley blue book?
I can't really help with that one but when I was looking at dealers they expected me to believe it was close to 10% on a one or two year old car because they are so awesome and so in demand. Private sellers seemed to price there's the same as the dealers. I paid less for a new car with a negotiated 4% discount and got everything I wanted for less than a used car with only some of what I wanted and some things I didn't. You know the poor guy that traded in that used car got the dealer's song and dance sob story about endless refurburshing costs, CPO costs, commissions, and tiny dealer profit once they finally sell it, etc. The previous owner probably gave up closer to 40% and you will too once you drive it off the lot.. I don't see how one could feel any sense of value on a 2 year old car at any more than 75% of the MSRP of a car optioned to your spec, regardless what additional options any particular car might have. And if the market "currently" places a higher value on used ones then you might as well just look at '19s on dealer lots and buy one at a healthy discount. Some say 10% is doable, and more may be in the near future.

1 Gunner, I doubt you can still order a '19 but I believe the pricing is still up for reference when buying one off a lot.
usrodeo4 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 01:24 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

thank god . that stage 3 is over 16k is it just the tune or the exaust too?
I believe stage 3 requires exhaust, bigger intercoolers and a tune...and possibly new air filters (not sure there is any data to back up OEM filters being out performed by aftermarket).
Old 01-16-2020, 11:44 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Thanks. The ‘17 he is telling me warranty only good till 6/2022. I thought they had 4 years plus 2 additional from the cpo? Not just remaining original???

Last edited by indesj01; 01-16-2020 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Mistake

Quick Reply: changes between 2017-now on 991