Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

.1 targa 4s to .1 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019 | 01:26 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Default .1 targa 4s to .1 turbo

Currently have a 991.1 targa 4s that I love. When I was first looking for 911s I had my heart set on a 991 turbo but fell in love with the looks of the targa and went that way instead. Been thinking about making the switch to a 991.1 turbo. Anyway done the same? Any regrets either way? Thanks.
Old 12-22-2019 | 09:46 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

I could only have two...and I didn’t find the 991.1 TTS visceral enough...so sold it and ordered a PTS 991.2 Targa 4S and bought a 993 TT. After two years of that, I missed my Turbo S too much and have now committed to my dealer to a 992 TTS when order book opens up..and traded my 993 TT for a 991 GT3 Touring to cover off the visceral part of the program . The Targa is/ was a magnificent car, but the drive train on Turbo and Turbo S models has an intangible quality feel about them...what I don’t actually know other than it is a sum of all parts which make it what it is..special - so yes, imho I am going “back” to the Turbo S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Overdraft:
4flynlow (12-22-2019), sullic (12-27-2019)
Old 12-22-2019 | 01:53 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

I don't get the appeal of the Targa look myself...and when you consider you can basically get a like new (and much better performing) Turbo or Turbo S for the same price, the Targa makes even less sense.

If you must have the top come off, get a Turbo Cab.
Old 12-25-2019 | 11:49 AM
chance6
Race Car

I can see the appeal of a Targa 4 GTS...the open air motoring with a distinctive look, but you pay for it in handling - it's not quite as glued as a TTS with PDCC.

Love the TTS- can't go wrong with that. Maybe get a glass sunroof with it as well to help appease your Targa flashbacks.
Old 12-25-2019 | 12:41 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I think the TTS cabriolet is the right answer. It’s a magnificent car!
The following users liked this post:
0luke1 (12-30-2019)
Old 12-25-2019 | 02:05 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dennis C

Agreed!
Old 12-25-2019 | 04:24 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Right now I use the targa mostly on weekends. Pretty soon my wife is probably going to have to be driving more so She will probably use our second car and the targa or turbo will be more of a DD. I’d be wary of using a cab in NJ winters as I’m already hesitant to take the targa out. I do have winter tires though.
Old 12-27-2019 | 02:31 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

I love my .1 TT Cab. Right now it's an awesome value. You can buy one - and put a few $$ in with mods - to improve sound, performance and even looks and its better than any non "Turbo" Carrera model by a wide margin IMO. Once you go TT - its hard to go back. GT3 is more raw / visceral and definitely serves a great but different purpose. TT is a phenomenal all rounder with prodigous power and great handling but also reasonable comfort.
Old 12-30-2019 | 11:08 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rjongco
Right now I use the targa mostly on weekends. Pretty soon my wife is probably going to have to be driving more so She will probably use our second car and the targa or turbo will be more of a DD. I’d be wary of using a cab in NJ winters as I’m already hesitant to take the targa out. I do have winter tires though.
Had a 997.1 cab and a large glass sunroof 991.1 c4 in NJ. You can use the cab regularly from May through October and the modern cabs are tight. You won’t be sorry. The large glass sunroof doesn’t come close.
Old 01-05-2020 | 11:05 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Had a .1 TT and a .2 TTS cabriolet. Despite the fact they did everything sublimely well, I never felt a connection with either, so ended up ordering a GT3 Touring.
Now after 2 seasons with the Touring I find myself looking back(??) to the new 992 TTS....

A "car guy" brain works in mysterious ways.
Old 01-05-2020 | 12:52 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Had a .1 TT and a .2 TTS cabriolet. Despite the fact they did everything sublimely well, I never felt a connection with either, so ended up ordering a GT3 Touring.
Now after 2 seasons with the Touring I find myself looking back(??) to the new 992 TTS....

Interesting. The car guy brain in me would love a GT3, but if I’m honest with myself, it’s not the right car for me. I love top down cruises through the mountains as opposed to track time, and I can’t imagine a car that would be better than a TTS cabriolet for that.
Old 01-05-2020 | 12:57 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner

thats because you “need” both 😀. Different horses for different purposes. At the end of the day - I think i’d Like to end up with a TT and a Touring. Can’t go wrong..
Old 01-05-2020 | 01:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Interesting. The car guy brain in me would love a GT3, but if I’m honest with myself, it’s not the right car for me. I love top down cruises through the mountains as opposed to track time, and I can’t imagine a car that would be better than a TTS cabriolet for that.
While a GT3 T pushes all the buttons perfectly on short drives that the TT & TTS never could, I've found road and engine noise gets tiring on long drives, where TTs definitely shine brightly!
Perhaps, as some are doing, I should look into adding sound deadening under the rear carpet.
Originally Posted by rodsky
thats because you “need” both 😀. Different horses for different purposes. At the end of the day - I think i’d Like to end up with a TT and a Touring. Can’t go wrong..
100%!! In a perfect world, having both would be ideal!! My significant other begs to differ....

Quick Reply: .1 targa 4s to .1 turbo