Sponsored by: Road Spy

ES700 991 vs IMS850S RS3 Half Mile Races

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 12:42 AM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts
Default ES700 991 vs IMS850S RS3 Half Mile Races

These built motor RS3's are moving. An IMS850 with the Iroz hybrid turbo just did a 9.1 @ 153 in the 1/4 mile a couple days ago. My buddy Erik did a similar Iroz Motorsports build and we got to hang out and do some fun runs at the most recent California Airstrip event hosted by Omega Motorsports in early November. Enjoy.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:49 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,880 Likes on 2,954 Posts

The Audi must have an enormous turbo in it; on the third run he looked like he was gaining on you. Your car, off the line in the first race, Audi didn't have a chance. Very impressive, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:19 AM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
The Audi must have an enormous turbo in it; on the third run he looked like he was gaining on you. Your car, off the line in the first race, Audi didn't have a chance. Very impressive, thanks for sharing.
Yes thanks was fun runs and a great matchup. These RS3's are single turbo and when built, they can handle the larger turbos but you see the result with lag on the roll hit. Before the second roll race I asked him to floor it well before the cones so that he's full boost at the cones but didnt work out. I would have liked a closer race as these cars match up nicely. Erik was cooling down between runs and I was hot lapping so by the second roll race I was likely down a bit on power and why he started gaining at the end on that run.

The 911 still has a huge advantage on a dig run. Rear engine vs front. I had Erik drop tire pressure a little but he wanted to be near 30psi both front and rear tires and I was 24 rear and 26 front. So further advantage to me on the dig. And even though his gearbox is built to handle the power increase, it can't shift as quick as the pdk so the RS3 looses ground on each shift.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by longboarder
Yes thanks was fun runs and a great matchup. These RS3's are single turbo and when built, they can handle the larger turbos but you see the result with lag on the roll hit. Before the second roll race I asked him to floor it well before the cones so that he's full boost at the cones but didnt work out. I would have liked a closer race as these cars match up nicely. Erik was cooling down between runs and I was hot lapping so by the second roll race I was likely down a bit on power and why he started gaining at the end on that run.

The 911 still has a huge advantage on a dig run. Rear engine vs front. I had Erik drop tire pressure a little but he wanted to be near 30psi both front and rear tires and I was 24 rear and 26 front. So further advantage to me on the dig. And even though his gearbox is built to handle the power increase, it can't shift as quick as the pdk so the RS3 looses ground on each shift.
would you suggest running 24 rear and 26 front for optimal 0-60 runs?

any other suggestions to set up the car for this? setting electronics...

again, thanks for your video's, always fun to watch!
Old 11-29-2019, 11:18 AM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
would you suggest running 24 rear and 26 front for optimal 0-60 runs?

any other suggestions to set up the car for this? setting electronics...

again, thanks for your video's, always fun to watch!
Thx. I've never done a dedicated 0-60mph only setup, but if I did, I would want the largest tire contact patch possible which is achieved with the lowest rear tire pressure to get the tire to "wrinkle". On a drag radial that would be around 14-15psi. On a street tire maybe 20psi. I ran a bit higher pressures because I was doing half mile dig runs so I sacrificed a little top end speed (higher pressures will yield higher trap speeds) with launch optimization.

I'm sure a drag alignment could help also. I've never changed my alignment. Same as came from the factory.

What mods do you have and what are you trying to achieve?
Old 11-29-2019, 11:25 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by longboarder
Thx. I've never done a dedicated 0-60mph only setup, but if I did, I would want the largest tire contact patch possible which is achieved with the lowest rear tire pressure to get the tire to "wrinkle". On a drag radial that would be around 14-15psi. On a street tire maybe 20psi. I ran a bit higher pressures because I was doing half mile dig runs so I sacrificed a little top end speed (higher pressures will yield higher trap speeds) with launch optimization.

I'm sure a drag alignment could help also. I've never changed my alignment. Same as came from the factory.

What mods do you have and what are you trying to achieve?
more curiosity really, not really trying to reach a goal

I have a 991.2 Cab with Kline inconel headers and exhaust with 200 cell cats, no tune. Car is plenty fast for the street.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

it makes sense to lower rear tire pressures for more rubber contact with the street, 20 in the rear is pretty low, I bet it makes a big difference

looks like you are having a lot of fun with those half mile races
Old 11-29-2019, 01:27 PM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
it makes sense to lower rear tire pressures for more rubber contact with the street, 20 in the rear is pretty low, I bet it makes a big difference

looks like you are having a lot of fun with those half mile races
Yes thx I'm lucky to have these events fairly close to home.

For daily driving I actually run the stock OEM tune and run tire pressures at 30 front and rear. 30 seems to be the perfect balance of grip and comfort while keeping the TPMS light from coming on. Running 40 rear can result in wheel spin on launches.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:17 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Adam nice runs for sure
on your 30 front and rear tire pressure are you setting that at 65° cold
Curious thanks
Old 11-30-2019, 05:35 PM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by mikerosi
Hey Adam nice runs for sure
on your 30 front and rear tire pressure are you setting that at 65° cold
Curious thanks
Hi Mike, thx. The RS3 was running 30psi front and rear. I was running 24 rear and a little higher maybe 28 front, which is around 20/24 cold.

Quick Reply: ES700 991 vs IMS850S RS3 Half Mile Races