Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tracking 991 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 11:41 PM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tracking 991 Turbo S

Hi, I'm rather new to tracking my car (1.5 year / 10 track days and counting), but gotten the the point where i'm thinking about making it a bit more track worthy ...

So basically I'm looking for advice / suggestions to people with same / similar car that have experience / know their stuff.

Car : 2014 911 991.1 Turbo S

1) Is it worth getting an ECU tune to bump it up to 630hp range ...
As far as I can tell a lot of the ECU tunes are very minor, as they often report stock mfg. numbers as base vs post ECU tune, so one does not know how much of the gain is from the tune, vs how much was already in the car. I put this first, as I know a lot of you have experience with this, but it's frankly not my #1 'mod' I plan to do (as I also like the reliability of the car, and do drive quite a bit in the wild as well - as in 3,000 week trips).

2) Thinking of putting on Cup 2 / Trofeo R tires on the car.I have gone through 3 set of stock P Zero (N0 and N1), and 2 set of 4S (N0) so far, and I have a set of Cup 2 ready when current set is gonner. However I realize the second I put on Cup2 it will be iffy when it's cold/wet, so I was thinking about getting a second set of rims (either for racing, or for country roads). Which is my best option?
a) Thinking going with the same setup as the GT3RS, 325 R21 and 265 R20
b) Just upping the rubber 2 notches 325 R20 / 265 R20
c) Seeing that lot of people go with 19" instead, 325 R19 / 265 R19
d) Stick with default dimensions.

Either way I would need a extra set of rims, but not sure what to get (I would like to keep the CenterLock, so that limit me ... found a set for $10,000 (with Cup2), or $20,000 (without tires), but seems a bit high just for track day use. Perhaps people with GT3/GT3RS can also chime in? I'm also not 100% sure if these would rub (I do not want ANY rubbing ... this is for performance not looks), but know that people have shoehorned in 365 in the rear on C4 ... so I assume 325 should be EZ?
I also want to keep my PCCB so not sure which / if 19" would work, as the calipers might not get enough clearing.

Next step would be throwing out the rear-seats, replacing battery with a LiPo (40-50lb), but I do not plan to go with a cage or go nutz ... just reversible easy changes that does not hurt the car (or the wallet .
Old 07-22-2019, 12:51 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

You will get more and better answers if you post on the 991 turbo forum rather than here.

An ECU tune will get you big gains, especially if you update the exhaust on the 991 turbo ( ask in the above forum).
Cup2's or Trofeo R's are a big step up in traction over the street tires you have been running. Cup 2's are okay in the rain as long as the temp are above 40-45F.
If you have lots of rain or colder temp, get the second set of rims.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:02 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Probably not the most popular response but...buy a track car. The 991 is a great street car, don't ruin it. Between consumables and wear/tear on the 991 you will still probably come out ahead buying another car. In addition you will have full safety equipment of roll cage, fire suppression etc.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:18 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

So, you don't want to spend any money on safety equipment? Strange.

Hire, and work with a driving coach. Improve. Then decide what performance & safety mods you want to do.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:41 AM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I swapped to Cup2s after my first event with the stock PZeros. Also, I have a Targa 4 GTS which is AWD like yours. In the rain even driving through standing water on the street I have felt 0 issue. I think with AWD it makes the MPSC2s much more usable in the wet. You will want to get a set of winter tires though to put on during cold months. I do not tune my cars anymore because of a previous bad experience with a Cadillac ATS-V, but you will get a before and after run showing your gains on the DYNO. All DYNOs will read a little different so you must pay attention to the gains on specific printouts to know exactly what has changed. You will want to look at total gains across power band and not just peak as well.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:50 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

FYI, there is already a page on this in the 991 Turbo forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...track-car.html
Old 07-22-2019, 12:26 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

Is the hp in the Turbo S the limiting factor? I think you probably have plenty. Maybe take a Porsche DE course in Atlanta. Would be great if they could set you up in the Turbo S for the few days of the course.

The instructors would be able to tell you in what order to consider spending funds. I think another set of wheels is needed if you are wanting to configure something more track specific. Centerlocks can be had from Tire Rack for an affordable price. Or buy a Porsche GT3RS/GT2RS wheel set.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1RSPLTWHL.html

A better deal since it has TPMS.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991GT2WWS.html
Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

With a 911 turbo - POWER is the last thing holding you back
Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 88 Posts

630 hp, sticky tires and no safety equipment. Sounds like a great plan! LOL! Id second the "just buy a cheap track car" and keep the Turbo S as nice street car if you are worried about your wallet out gassing lots of green stuff..
Old 07-22-2019, 02:11 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 445 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugo Gunnarsen
Hi, I'm rather new to tracking my car (1.5 year / 10 track days and counting), but gotten the the point where i'm thinking about making it a bit more track worthy ...

So basically I'm looking for advice / suggestions to people with same / similar car that have experience / know their stuff.

Car : 2014 911 991.1 Turbo S

1) Is it worth getting an ECU tune to bump it up to 630hp range ...
As far as I can tell a lot of the ECU tunes are very minor, as they often report stock mfg. numbers as base vs post ECU tune, so one does not know how much of the gain is from the tune, vs how much was already in the car. I put this first, as I know a lot of you have experience with this, but it's frankly not my #1 'mod' I plan to do (as I also like the reliability of the car, and do drive quite a bit in the wild as well - as in 3,000 week trips).

2) Thinking of putting on Cup 2 / Trofeo R tires on the car.I have gone through 3 set of stock P Zero (N0 and N1), and 2 set of 4S (N0) so far, and I have a set of Cup 2 ready when current set is gonner. However I realize the second I put on Cup2 it will be iffy when it's cold/wet, so I was thinking about getting a second set of rims (either for racing, or for country roads). Which is my best option?
a) Thinking going with the same setup as the GT3RS, 325 R21 and 265 R20
b) Just upping the rubber 2 notches 325 R20 / 265 R20
c) Seeing that lot of people go with 19" instead, 325 R19 / 265 R19
d) Stick with default dimensions.

Either way I would need a extra set of rims, but not sure what to get (I would like to keep the CenterLock, so that limit me ... found a set for $10,000 (with Cup2), or $20,000 (without tires), but seems a bit high just for track day use. Perhaps people with GT3/GT3RS can also chime in? I'm also not 100% sure if these would rub (I do not want ANY rubbing ... this is for performance not looks), but know that people have shoehorned in 365 in the rear on C4 ... so I assume 325 should be EZ?
I also want to keep my PCCB so not sure which / if 19" would work, as the calipers might not get enough clearing.

Next step would be throwing out the rear-seats, replacing battery with a LiPo (40-50lb), but I do not plan to go with a cage or go nutz ... just reversible easy changes that does not hurt the car (or the wallet .

Hi Hugo,
For a good tune we recommend going with GIAC. You can also add some headers and exhaust for a little sound too (all reversible) -
https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...exhaust-system
https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...-sport-headers

If you're tracking your car we highly recommend putting a roll bar / harnesses to keep you secure and safe (not as reversible) -

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...arness-rollbar
https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...ollbar-sunroof
https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...arness-rollbar

If you have any questions about suspension setup, parts listed above, etc., feel free to reach us at - Sales@gmgracing.com / (714) 432-1582

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Quick Reply: Tracking 991 Turbo S