Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Most exotic 991 turbo exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 12:08 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Any exhaust that puts the cats next to the turbos and uses muffled chambers will not sounds as "exotic" or "high pitched" as another exhaust with no cats.

There is one option for those that need to keep cats: SpeedTech does the best custom exhausts and can make you an exhaust that moves the cats away from the turbos - put them where the muffler usually is and so the cats act as mufflers. This dramatically changes tone, pitch (they are much higher) and another benefit is keeping EGTs a little lower since the cats arent right next to the turbos.

John at SpeedTech made me one like this that also included a valve to dump off the turbos (routed to avoid cats) so i just push a button on my remote and in a half second the valve opens or closes. Yes it is very loud and sounds pretty bad with the valve open but it is a lot faster obviously. Daily driving valve closed it is much more exotic than any other exhaust because the design is vastly different of course.

John is incredible to work with. Class act. Couldn't be happier for an exhaust that does everything.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (06-03-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 12:35 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I have a newbie exhaust question please. I recently purchased a 2019 turbo. I would like to get a deeper note on the exhaust. Not necessarily louder. And no drone. I also would like to avoid CEL problems. What exhaust would be reasonable?

. I do not want to go crazy. From the catalytic converter‘s back I guess it’s good to keep the stock catalytic converter‘s in place to prevent check engine light problems( that is my assumption from reading this thread.)

thank you very much.
costa
You won't have a problem going with a high flow cat like a 200 cell catalytic converter. No CEL's.
Old 05-30-2022, 03:46 PM
godzlaa
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Custom full TI

Here is my set up
Old 05-30-2022, 08:18 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Costa, here's an option to consider. I have a slightly used 2.5 center muffler delete for OEM tips the came off my car when I went to the full 3" x-pipe with the GT2RS style valve dump. It is exactly what you are asking for, i.e. a very slight tweak to the OEM sound, no drone, no CEL.

The same 2.5 pipe with HJS cats results in a little more pronounced sound (which you say you do not desire), but still on the quieter side overall with absolutely no drone and guaranteed no CEL, either.

I can package it either way (with or without cats), but based on your comments, you don't want louder, so the center delete alone, using OEM cats seems like it would be more suited to your goals. If you want to take a look at it, text me and I can show you. It's sitting on a shelf at the factory.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Last edited by John D II; 05-30-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:23 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II;[url=tel:18171983
18171983[/url]]Costa, here's an option to consider. I have a slightly used 2.5 center muffler delete for OEM tips the came off my car when I went to the full 3" x-pipe with the GT2RS style valve dump. It is exactly what you are asking for, i.e. a very slight tweak to the OEM sound, no drone, no CEL.

The same 2.5 pipe with HJS cats results in a little more pronounced sound (which you say you do not desire), but still on the quieter side overall with absolutely no drone and guaranteed no CEL, either.

I can package it either way (with or without cats), but based on your comments, you don't want louder, so the center delete alone, using OEM cats seems like it would be more suited to your goals. If you want to take a look at it, text me and I can show you. It's sitting on a shelf at the factory.
that sounds great John. I will text you.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:29 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

And being used, if you like it, it's a great opportunity to save some money while sliding down the slippery slope :-)
Old 05-31-2022, 05:12 AM
stef@europipe
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 162 Posts

Here’s some more revving at standstill:

Old 06-05-2022, 03:34 PM
Quelias80
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
as for kline, is Inconel worth the extra price over SS, or is sound almost similar. I read just a but higher pitched but is this worth 2x price of SS ?
thanks
Jo
Old 06-05-2022, 07:24 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 961 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Quelias80
Hello all,
as for kline, is Inconel worth the extra price over SS, or is sound almost similar. I read just a but higher pitched but is this worth 2x price of SS ?
thanks
Jo
If you'd like to send me a note I would be happy to get a bunch of Kline vids over to you to check out. Most of the awesome sound and Jekyll Hyde personality comes from teh exhaust design itself. There are many sound levels and cat options. Inconel just takes it to teh next level

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Quick Reply: Most exotic 991 turbo exhaust