Sponsored by: Road Spy

Full throttle acceleration question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 04:08 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Full throttle acceleration question

So is there a difference once the car is under full acceleration what mode you are in? If I go out for some spirited driving are usually leave the car in sport mode. If I were to put it in sport plus is there any difference other than the fact it will hang onto the gears longer? Does it change boost or do anything else?
Old 05-18-2019, 04:39 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
So is there a difference once the car is under full acceleration what mode you are in? If I go out for some spirited driving are usually leave the car in sport mode. If I were to put it in sport plus is there any difference other than the fact it will hang onto the gears longer? Does it change boost or do anything else?
I haven't noticed anything different in my logs between regular, sport and sport plus.

I believe it's only for the PDK system and trans line pressure.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:25 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Leaving the car in regular mode results in less mid-rpm boost, resulting in max torque of 516 lb-ft. Putting it into either sport or sport+ gets you over-boost (and a louder exhaust) for a limited time (20 seconds) which increases max torque to 553 lb-ft. You can see this when you select the power graph.

So the car is definitely quicker in sport or sport+ mode. Over and above Sport mode, Sport+ also changes the PDK programming and raises the rear spoiler and lowers the front air dam.
But from a boost perspective, sport and sport+ are the same.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:05 PM
radar979
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

In sport plus the boost pressure never goes below 1 psi…I THINK THIS ENABLES THE TURBOS TO SPOOL UP QUICKER!?!?
Old 05-18-2019, 07:17 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

If sport plus changes the PDK programming, does this result in faster acceleration?
Old 05-18-2019, 08:21 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by catpat8000
Leaving the car in regular mode results in less mid-rpm boost, resulting in max torque of 516 lb-ft. Putting it into either sport or sport+ gets you over-boost (and a louder exhaust) for a limited time (20 seconds) which increases max torque to 553 lb-ft. You can see this when you select the power graph.

So the car is definitely quicker in sport or sport+ mode. Over and above Sport mode, Sport+ also changes the PDK programming and raises the rear spoiler and lowers the front air dam.
Thanks for the great explanation.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:38 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
If sport plus changes the PDK programming, does this result in faster acceleration?
At full throttle, the transmission shifts at the same points regardless of whether the car is in regular, sport, or sport+ mode.

Sport+ holds in lower gears for longer than sport, when not at full throttle. And sport holds in lower gears for longer than regular, when not at full throttle.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:08 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Do you have any data logs showing this? My results say otherwise, I can pull the data when I get to the office tomorrow.
What about sport chrono mode, when will that be applied?
Old 05-19-2019, 07:19 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Originally Posted by Payam_BMS
Do you have any data logs showing this? My results say otherwise, I can pull the data when I get to the office tomorrow.
What about sport chrono mode, when will that be applied?
Interesting that your data logs don't show anything.

Here is what I know. If you leave the car in regular mode, the Porsche spec page says you will see 516 lb-ft of torque from 2100-4250 RPM, whereupon torque will start to drop off. Max hp is 580 at 6750 RPM.
You can back-calculate torque at max HP RPM: 580 HP @ 6,750 RPM suggests the car is making 450 lb-ft @ 6750 RPM.

In some of the various perf 'modes' or settings, the car will provide 2.2psi more boost, adding 37 lb-ft of torque, but only in the RPM midrange. I haven't found anything which is conclusive about the RPM band in which this extra torque is available but likely it's the same range - 2000 to 4500ish RPM.

Now why wouldn't you be able to see this in a data log? Here is my guess. You start your data log and run your car through the gears. But if you look at the RPM shift points, when the transmission upshifts at 7000 rpm, it is probably hits the next gear at or above 4500rpm. So during timed acceleration runs, you may not benefit from the extra mid-range torque because your engine is always revving higher than the point at which that torque is available.

If you wanted to test just the over-boost, I would suggest the following test. Do two runs, one with it and one without it. But in each run, start the test at 2000 rpm in 3rd gear and go full throttle from 2000 RPM to 7000 RPM. Just third gear. This will spend some time in the rpm range where over-boost happens. Let us know what you find!
Old 05-19-2019, 08:23 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Interesting that your data logs don't show anything.

Here is what I know. If you leave the car in regular mode, the Porsche spec page says you will see 516 lb-ft of torque from 2100-4250 RPM, whereupon torque will start to drop off. Max hp is 580 at 6750 RPM.
You can back-calculate torque at max HP RPM: 580 HP @ 6,750 RPM suggests the car is making 450 lb-ft @ 6750 RPM.

In some of the various perf 'modes' or settings, the car will provide 2.2psi more boost, adding 37 lb-ft of torque, but only in the RPM midrange. I haven't found anything which is conclusive about the RPM band in which this extra torque is available but likely it's the same range - 2000 to 4500ish RPM.

Now why wouldn't you be able to see this in a data log? Here is my guess. You start your data log and run your car through the gears. But if you look at the RPM shift points, when the transmission upshifts at 7000 rpm, it is probably hits the next gear at or above 4500rpm. So during timed acceleration runs, you may not benefit from the extra mid-range torque because your engine is always revving higher than the point at which that torque is available.

If you wanted to test just the over-boost, I would suggest the following test. Do two runs, one with it and one without it. But in each run, start the test at 2000 rpm in 3rd gear and go full throttle from 2000 RPM to 7000 RPM. Just third gear. This will spend some time in the rpm range where over-boost happens. Let us know what you find!

Old 05-20-2019, 02:12 AM
catpat8000
Advanced

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Nice! I looked for that graph and couldn't find it. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:19 AM
cartester
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! I looked for that graph and couldn't find it. Thanks!
It's in the Porsche brochure. Here is the version for the 991.1 showing the same mid-range torque.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:20 AM
BMS
Former Vendor

Yup, this is the only correct way to compare logs. Doing them the same and keeping it consistent, in one gear with the full spectrum of the RPM range.

I'll find the files tomorrow and load them up. If it wasn't raining I'd go out and get more logs for you

PS, I'm one of the product developers at BMS. I do tech support as well and dial in the JB4 system for customers. I evaluate logs for hundreds of our customers around the world in many various platforms that we offer tuning services for.
I really like what you said about the data and the runs, that's very very important. It needs to be consistent, or else the data is useless
What you stated is EXACTLY what I ask of our customers when comparing data logs from stock to tuned etc. These are my usual posts after reviewing some logs:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showp...23&postcount=2
Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 AM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

If you leave it in sport/sport+ all day when you drive it around town, for example, would that harm the vehicle or cause more wear?

also, how many 20 second intervals do you get on the track, for example, if left in sport+? How quickly does the 20 second timer reset?
Old 05-21-2019, 10:31 AM
catpat8000
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paliknight
If you leave it in sport/sport+ all day when you drive it around town, for example, would that harm the vehicle or cause more wear?

also, how many 20 second intervals do you get on the track, for example, if left in sport+? How quickly does the 20 second timer reset?
It seems to reset instantly. But that's just an observation of mine not a guaranteed fact.

But I think the 20 second business is somewhat of a red herring. I don't actually know if that applies to anything more than pushing the button on the steering wheel which gets the car into the lowest gear possible and holds it there for 20 seconds.
And honestly, that button seems like a total gimmick. Why would you ever push it except for just screwing around? All the car's performance is available in sport and sport+ modes without timers or buttons, etc.

Quick Reply: Full throttle acceleration question