Sponsored by: Road Spy

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 04:40 PM
Bigotis
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Leak

I noticed a small amount of oil on the garage floor this morning, under the passenger’s side engine bay. The large soft hose there has a slight film of oil on it. Checked my oil level and fine. It’s a 2017 TT with 17,000 miles. I’m due for an oil change and the dealer is an hour an half away. Work takes me there in 2 weeks, any thoughts on if it’s safe to wait? Just keep checking the oil level and if ok and slight leak, wait? Any thoughts on source from this area if a known issue? Thanks and this board is a great source of information and helped me confirm the TT was the right car.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:12 AM
radar979
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

my inclination would be to visit deal asap…at least call service manager!!! good luck
Old 03-29-2019, 01:25 AM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Since it only dripped a small amount, the oil level gauge will not show low oil levels. If there's a small leak, it may take days to show that. Regardless, I would follow radar979's advice.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:39 AM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Do you mean these rubber hoses? If so, you probably need to replace them. The problem is a missing rubber seal that for some reason goes missing
I tried searching to see is they sold the seal by itself but was unsuccessful. It is a simple diy but requires taking off the wheel and liner to do so. If you need instructions to swap it out, I can help.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:44 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

Let the dealer deal with it in 2 weeks. A slow oil leak isn't an emergency.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:35 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing, turbo is probably just leaking. It's blowing through the chargepipe.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Bigotis
AutoX

Originally Posted by aft86
Do you mean these rubber hoses? If so, you probably need to replace them. The problem is a missing rubber seal that for some reason goes missing
I tried searching to see is they sold the seal by itself but was unsuccessful. It is a simple diy but requires taking off the wheel and liner to do so. If you need instructions to swap it out, I can help.

This rubber hose has oil on it, I figured from above it somewhere.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Bigotis
AutoX

Originally Posted by Payam_BMS
Mine is doing the same thing, turbo is probably just leaking. It's blowing through the chargepipe.
This sounds correct, more of a slight leak after a spirited session. 2 weeks I see the dealer for an oil change and will get it sorted out. Thank you for the input.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:42 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Did the dealer take a look at it?
Mine was leaking because the pipe was missing a rubber seal from the intercooler side. Not sure if it was in fact oil or soemthing else, and where it was coming from (turbo or intercooler).
Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by aft86
Did the dealer take a look at it?
Mine was leaking because the pipe was missing a rubber seal from the intercooler side. Not sure if it was in fact oil or soemthing else, and where it was coming from (turbo or intercooler).
Makes no sense, that means you had a boost leak. Oil should not be coming out of the compressor side (which is what we have). Usually that means the turbo is on the way out
Old 04-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Bigotis
AutoX

Just got the car back from the dealer and the diagnosis was oil leaking from porous turbo boost hose on passenger side, hose was removed and replaced. My service advisor said this was most likely caused from physical damage from the road but covered it under warranty. I’m no engineer but it seems like a rubber hose shouldn’t have that type of exposure. I meant to ask how much replacing the pressure hose would have been without warranty but forgot. By the way a new key, programmed was $513, steep I think even for a Porsche. I will say my service advisors were excellent in all aspects. Thanks for the inquires, this is an excellent forum with great contributors.
The following users liked this post:
FetalEcho (10-08-2023)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:42 PM
Bigotis
AutoX

Originally Posted by Payam_BMS
Makes no sense, that means you had a boost leak. Oil should not be coming out of the compressor side (which is what we have). Usually that means the turbo is on the way out
So no oil should be traveling through this hose? I’m a bit confused now.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:05 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bigotis
Just got the car back from the dealer and the diagnosis was oil leaking from porous turbo boost hose on passenger side, hose was removed and replaced. My service advisor said this was most likely caused from physical damage from the road but covered it under warranty. I’m no engineer but it seems like a rubber hose shouldn’t have that type of exposure. I meant to ask how much replacing the pressure hose would have been without warranty but forgot. By the way a new key, programmed was $513, steep I think even for a Porsche. I will say my service advisors were excellent in all aspects. Thanks for the inquires, this is an excellent forum with great contributors.
Yeah, you're right it shouldn't be exposed but on Porsche's defense that's very thick rubber on that pipe. Not sure if road debris would cause enough harm to make it leak. The pressure hose (991-110-636-72) was about $57 and installation was pretty easy (hardest thing was jacking the car, taking the wheel off, and removing the liner.) Not sure what the dealer would charge.

By the way a new key, programmed was $513, steep I think even for a Porsche.
That is steep!!!

So no oil should be traveling through this hose? I’m a bit confused now.
Not sure if it should either. Although ever since I changed the pipe it hasn't leaked outside but now Im worried if only air should be flowing from the turbo into the intercooler and nothing else.

This is how mine looked on the intercooler side before I changed it.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:05 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 869 Posts

Some turbos will have oil migrate through the CHRA. Winds up in the air track. I’ve cleaned out Intercoolers with oil in them. Too much, and an internal chra seal is toast or the pump is toast. Generally the exhaust smokes if the pump is toast. Having an oil film in that pipe isn’t too concerning.....the pipe leaking is. Leaking oil = leaking boost.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:01 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Some turbos will have oil migrate through the CHRA. Winds up in the air track. I’ve cleaned out Intercoolers with oil in them. Too much, and an internal chra seal is toast or the pump is toast. Generally the exhaust smokes if the pump is toast. Having an oil film in that pipe isn’t too concerning.....the pipe leaking is. Leaking oil = leaking boost.
Thanks onfire, good to know!

Quick Reply: Oil Leak