Is Carbon roof a factory option on 14-15 TTS? - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 991 Turbo
Reload this Page >

Is Carbon roof a factory option on 14-15 TTS?

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Is Carbon roof a factory option on 14-15 TTS?

 
Old 02-09-2019, 12:46 PM
  #16  
A/S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: U.S.
Posts: 318
Default

Originally Posted by onfireTTS View Post


I ordered a “lightweight “ for the same reasons. No sunroof, FAL, etc. I'll be curious to see what it weighs on my scales with a full tank. Looks like 3648lbs but I really hope not. It did go V260 on Thursday!

What mods have you done to drop weight ? I’d like to be 3480 with a full tank. I have an Inconel Kline that should drop 38lbs. An 18lb Braille should drop 34lbs and a rear seat delete should drop 20lbs. 92lbs. Total. I don’t want to do wheels but that’s another 26lbs ish.
i went with lighter springs (stiffer than my 2016 GT3RS), my car has a track suspension more capable than my old 2016 GT3 RS (it beat every lap time of my old RS everywhere on same tires/Wheels), 19” forgeline wheels, inconel headers, inconel race kline muffler (their lightest), the porsche oem lithium battery, no tools, fire bottle out, no rear floor mats, nearly empty windshield washer reservoir, first aid kit out, trunk tool covers out, and just 2.5 gallons of fuel to complete one lap.

Getting to 3480 lbs with a full tank of fuel would require a few extra changes, in additiion to my changes above, as a full tank of fuel adds 105 lbs (so your target would br 3375 lbs on no fuel).

You’re spot on with the rear seat delete, remove the rear seat belts too. On my 2019 GT3 RS, Porsche went with very lightweight carpeting all around, If I were to build for lightness, I would take the 4 seats out , install the .2 RS floor and rear shelf carpets, and put a nice set of Recaro Pole Position Carbon buckets, redone on my choice of good leather, this little seat project alone would net over 130 lbs savings (deleting all 4 stock seats).

TPC Racing adapted the GT3 RS rear deck lid to their shop car, that would save plenty more as it removes the heavy metal, fiberglass and moving rear spoiler with a Carbon deck and huge downforce wing. TPC did front GT3 Cup fenders, bumper and hood, much lighter and cheaper than the street 991 RS parts, here is another 50 lbs to be reduced. Combine the seat mods above and these aero parts, and now the car is at 3200 lbs with no fuel. My old lightweight-spec 2016 GT3 RS was 3163 lbs with barely any fuel, and plastic interior (no full leather like all TT/TTS), PCCB, carbon seats, base radio.

If you want true power, Sam & ByDesign helped me build a car that I can drive every day (and I mostly do), and have different tunes for different fuels. Stock, the acceleration to 100mph (same test road) between my 2015 Turbo S and my recent 2019 GT3 RS was almost the same (6.8 secs vs 6.8 secs), despite the RS losing 0.4 secs to 60mph on the VBox, so at 110mph the RS is gone. With my current top tune, the car dropped 0.1 secs to 60mph, but at 100mph it is already 1 second quicker at 5.8, and gained almost 10mph on the 1/4 mile.

The performance improvements on the 991.2 when tuned are even better, and now there are shops swapping to the 991 GT2 RS turbos for even more gains.

The 991 Turbo and Turbo S is the best platform to play with personalization and upgrades. The result differences are significant.
A/S is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 12:51 PM
  #17  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 91
Default

Originally Posted by A/S View Post


i went with lighter springs (stiffer than my 2016 GT3RS), my car has a track suspension more capable than my old 2016 GT3 RS (it beat every lap time of my old RS everywhere on same tires/Wheels), 19” forgeline wheels, inconel headers, inconel race kline muffler (their lightest), the porsche oem lithium battery, no tools, fire bottle out, no rear floor mats, nearly empty windshield washer reservoir, first aid kit out, trunk tool covers out, and just 2.5 gallons of fuel to complete one lap.

Getting to 3480 lbs with a full tank of fuel would require a few extra changes, in additiion to my changes above, as a full tank of fuel adds 105 lbs (so your target would br 3375 lbs on no fuel).

You’re spot on with the rear seat delete, remove the rear seat belts too. On my 2019 GT3 RS, Porsche went with very lightweight carpeting all around, If I were to build for lightness, I would take the 4 seats out , install the .2 RS floor and rear shelf carpets, and put a nice set of Recaro Pole Position Carbon buckets, redone on my choice of good leather, this little seat project alone would net over 130 lbs savings (deleting all 4 stock seats).

TPC Racing adapted the GT3 RS rear deck lid to their shop car, that would save plenty more as it removes the heavy metal, fiberglass and moving rear spoiler with a Carbon deck and huge downforce wing. TPC did front GT3 Cup fenders, bumper and hood, much lighter and cheaper than the street 991 RS parts, here is another 50 lbs to be reduced. Combine the seat mods above and these aero parts, and now the car is at 3200 lbs with no fuel. My old lightweight-spec 2016 GT3 RS was 3163 lbs with barely any fuel, and plastic interior (no full leather like all TT/TTS), PCCB, carbon seats, base radio.

If you want true power, Sam & ByDesign helped me build a car that I can drive every day (and I mostly do), and have different tunes for different fuels. Stock, the acceleration to 100mph (same test road) between my 2015 Turbo S and my recent 2019 GT3 RS was almost the same (6.8 secs vs 6.8 secs), despite the RS losing 0.4 secs to 60mph on the VBox, so at 110mph the RS is gone. With my current top tune, the car dropped 0.1 secs to 60mph, but at 100mph it is already 1 second quicker at 5.8, and gained almost 10mph on the 1/4 mile.

The performance improvements on the 991.2 when tuned are even better, and now there are shops swapping to the 991 GT2 RS turbos for even more gains.

The 991 Turbo and Turbo S is the best platform to play with personalization and upgrades. The result differences are significant.
Excellent post. Thanks !
onfireTTS is online now  
Old 02-09-2019, 12:53 PM
  #18  
A/S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: U.S.
Posts: 318
Default

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore View Post
Wow, these 991s weigh even more than I thought! Glad to know some of you chose to spec your cars just as I would...I'd probably still spec hand crank windows (and definitely manual seats) if they offered it.

What I really need to do is review some proper 997.2 TTS versus 991.1 TTS threads. I really love the footprint of my 997.2 GT3 RS and it's hard for me to WANT a larger car. That being said, too many of my damn friends have told me that the 991.1 is magical so I know I would be foolish to dismiss it. I'm so in love with Agate Gray, that is the color I want mine to be, regardless of generation. Thanks all for your great comments!
if you want a 997 TT, go with the .1, it has the Mezger engine, and you can remove the FWD.

the 997.2 electronic stability systems even when disabled (all psm stuff off) are very intrusive, the car understeers too much on th edge, and any hint of oversteer passes traction to the front promoting more understeer.

If you’re just driving around on the streets, any Turbo 911 is good, the oldest the coolest.

991 has RWS, twice the turning angle of my GT3 RS, it out handles anything 997, including the famous and glorious and valuable 997 GT2 RS and 997 GT3 RS 4.0. It is just little tuning needed in the 991 TT to extract the proper dynamic performance, and on the edge of grip it is balanced towards oversteer when tuned properly.

I only like 2 997s, the GT3 RS I had (with any motor) and the only one I have yet to drive, the 997 GT2 RS, the last boosted Mezger engine.
A/S is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM
  #19  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 91
Default

Originally Posted by A/S View Post
The 991 Sunroof and worse the Glass roof are heavy, the extra hardware adds close to 25 lbs and it is top weight, the worse possible location for extra weight. Weight in this area is so important that Porsche doesn't offer a sunroof on the 991 GT3 or GT3 RS (and now a 991 GT2 RS).

My CF roof in the .2 RS saves me less than 3 lbs over the Aluminum roof in my 991 TTS (I have a fixed roof .1), and barely over 1 lbs compared to the Magnesium roof in my old .1 GT3 RS. These weight savings are nothing compared to the massive weight added on electric top 991 Turbos.

It took me a long time to find a sunroof delete 991 Turbo S about 3+ years ago. Despite of shopping for a lightweight spec Turbo S (because of PCCB, CL, and the needed lightweight roof), the car still came heavy ==> 3,648 lbs. My car has the Bursmester, but the system is barely any heavier than the standard Bose. No FAL, cars with FAL add plenty of weight too (over 20 lbs).

Even on low fuel to be able to set a decent lap time, the car was around 3,560 lbs in stock form. I managed to get it down to 3,380 lbs but going beyond that requires swapping seats, removing rear seats or removing equipment, not my preference.

There is unavoidable heavy equipment in the 991 TTS: PDCC, RWS, AWD, Full Leather, Bose, Rear Seats, all the Turbo hardware. Surprisingly, the AWD is pretty lightweight given its benefits.
What type scale did you use to weigh the 991.1 at 3648lbs ? Was that pure stock with a full tank of fuel and no driver ?
onfireTTS is online now  
Old 02-09-2019, 05:47 PM
  #20  
Steve Theodore
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Steve Theodore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 674
Default

Originally Posted by A/S View Post


if you want a 997 TT, go with the .1, it has the Mezger engine, and you can remove the FWD.

the 997.2 electronic stability systems even when disabled (all psm stuff off) are very intrusive, the car understeers too much on th edge, and any hint of oversteer passes traction to the front promoting more understeer.

If you’re just driving around on the streets, any Turbo 911 is good, the oldest the coolest.

991 has RWS, twice the turning angle of my GT3 RS, it out handles anything 997, including the famous and glorious and valuable 997 GT2 RS and 997 GT3 RS 4.0. It is just little tuning needed in the 991 TT to extract the proper dynamic performance, and on the edge of grip it is balanced towards oversteer when tuned properly.

I only like 2 997s, the GT3 RS I had (with any motor) and the only one I have yet to drive, the 997 GT2 RS, the last boosted Mezger engine.
We are definitely cut from the same cloth, and I really appreciate your posts about weight reduction on the 991.1 TTS...just my kind of topic!

I already have a 997.2 GT3 RS which is my forever keeper, but I do love the chassis and footprint of that generation. My 996 TT is close enough to a 997.1 TT that I don't care to make that exchange, so it's only the later PDK equipped 3.8L cars that get me thinking. My GT-R is a lot of fun with the DCT but is bigger and heavier than either the 997.2 or 991.1, and I do absolutely love the classic Porsche design and drivetrain too. Although I would miss my GT-R, I know that either TTS would be a great replacement for it.

Thanks again for your feedback and information, it is much appreciated!
Steve Theodore is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 05:56 PM
  #21  
A/S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: U.S.
Posts: 318
Default

Originally Posted by onfireTTS View Post


What type scale did you use to weigh the 991.1 at 3648lbs ? Was that pure stock with a full tank of fuel and no driver ?
Bone stock 991.1 Turbo S, fixed roof, stock everything, Burmester, all tools inside, 1st aid kit, fire bottle, full tank of gas, no driver.

Scales are Intercomp SW650.

Below is the same car, but running almost an empty fuel tank, added a Tubi muffler with Sport cats, forgeline 19” with 235/315 Hoosiers, no tools and no mats.


A/S is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 07:16 PM
  #22  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 91
Default

Originally Posted by A/S View Post


Bone stock 991.1 Turbo S, fixed roof, stock everything, Burmester, all tools inside, 1st aid kit, fire bottle, full tank of gas, no driver.

Scales are Intercomp SW650.

Below is the same car, but running almost an empty fuel tank, added a Tubi muffler with Sport cats, forgeline 19” with 235/315 Hoosiers, no tools and no mats.


Thanks again ! I have an older set of the cable Intercomps. Excellent Scales. You’ve kept me from being surprised. C&D weighed their hardtop 991.2 at 3571lbs on their Track Sheet. Must have been extremely low fuel. You have set the Real World Number.
onfireTTS is online now  
Old 02-14-2019, 01:56 AM
  #23  
Randyc151
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Randyc151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 879
Default

This is my TTS at Daytona's scales a year ago. It's a SUNROOF DELETE car, with added Cantrel half-cage, Schroth harnesses, and Girodisk rotors; but rear seats removed, Cobra Misano CF seats, Braille lithium battery, removed everything in the frunk/no tools, Techart springs, Sharkwerks X-pipe exhaust, and HRE P101 wheels. However...this was with a full load of fuel, no driver.


Randyc151 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: