Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Is Carbon roof a factory option on 14-15 TTS? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1127276-is-carbon-roof-a-factory-option-on-14-15-tts.html)

Steve Theodore 02-02-2019 05:14 PM

Is Carbon roof a factory option on 14-15 TTS?

Hey guys,

I'm considering turning my 2014 Nissan GT-R and 2002 996TT into a single Porsche, and am considering both 997.2 TTS and 991.1 TTS for the price point I'm after as I feel it's a 'sweet spot' for me when considering what I love about both of those current cars I own. I'm mostly curious if a carbon roof was an OEM option on any 991.1 TTS models ever? My Google searching hasn't helped too much, and I see nearly all have some form of power sunroof (either metal or glass).

Similarly I already know that there was no carbon roof option on the 997.2 TTS ever. But, it's something I would want IF it's possible and available, just not sure it is. I'd rather have 5 lug wheels too, but see that is very uncommon on TTS models.

Thanks all, I don't know too much about the TTS model specifically for either generation. My current budget won't go far enough to consider 991.2 TTS, in case that factors into the answer.

Hothonda 02-02-2019 06:14 PM

No carbon roof Steve....either no sunroof, metal, or glass.
You are correct on the 5 lug wheels - was a n/c option on the TTS. Not many TTS with 5 lug.
When I purchased my TT, was a deciding factor not to get a TTS (wanted to purchased locally)- & did not want centerlocks .
In the butt dyno dept, driving both new cars back to back at Porsche Bellevue, I could feel -0- performance difference.

If horsepower is a decider on the TT v TTS - on the '14-'16 models was nothing more than a factory ECU boost. Motors are identical.

Many feel the other equip that's standard on the S (PCBB etc) feel it was a better deal $$$. "S" models outsell the regular
Turbo more than 2 to 1.

Obviously not for me........

Steve Theodore 02-02-2019 06:18 PM

Thanks for your reply. I'd be fine with the no sunroof option too, but that seems exceptionally rare on 991.1 models as well. My rationale for the TTS is mostly the PCCBs as standard as I love PCCBs and don't track, but I think you're right to consider non Turbo S models. I'm such a sucker for the 997.2 body style that I may have a hard time wanting to get into a 991.1 anyway, but the carbon roof option may have swayed me a bit! I appreciate it local buddy.

Originally Posted by Hothonda (Post 15611345)
No carbon roof Steve....either no sunroof, metal, or glass.
You are correct on the 5 lug wheels - was a n/c option on the TTS. Not many TTS with 5 lug.
When I purchased my TT, was a deciding factor not to get a TTS (wanted to purchased locally)- & did not want centerlocks .
In the butt dyno dept, driving both new cars back to back at Porsche Bellevue, I could feel -0- performance difference.

Many feel the equip that's standard on the S (PCBB etc) feel it was a better deal $$$. "S" models outsell the regular
Turbo more than 2 to 1.

Obviously not for me........

Penn4S 02-02-2019 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 14 TTS with 5 lug and could not be happier. Sunroof on mine I actually use. I also had 996TT and 997TT. The 991 is just a better car all around. I am Cobb tuned and with Europipe exhaust. Car is a rocket and beautiful to look at.
Good luck with the hunt.

Steve Theodore 02-02-2019 08:45 PM

Looks spectacular Penn4S...gorgeous example for sure!

gsx95 02-03-2019 09:51 AM

I don't know about the roof, but I just traded in a 2015 GT-R and a 2017 370z Roadster for a 2016 TTS Cabriolet (also to "combine" cars and free up garage space), and I can tell you that the Porsche is in another league compared to the GT-R. And the PCCBs are awesome!

928 GT R 02-06-2019 11:00 PM

Steve,

I have a TT with 62 options and have not seen or heard of a CF roof. That CF goodie is apparently reserved for the Weissach versions of the GT2 & 3 cars.

The 5 lugs are the way to go IMO and were mandatory for me. I had center locks on my Carrera 4 GTS and they offered no advantages and were not faster than 5 lugs.

Good luck with your search and I also recommend the 991.1 as it is quite an evolution of the breed. You can also be comfortable considering the plain TT's because the motors are the same and all of the tuning items that are used to enhance the TTS's are the same for the TT's. Take your time in looking for the right car as there are some great ones out there...

Enjoy!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3510b32e97.png

Steve Theodore 02-07-2019 09:21 AM

Thank you 928 GT R,

It seems that my thread should have been titled 'How rare are the sunroof delete 991 TTS cars?' as it's now clear that the carbon roof really isn't an option at all. The main reason I've been fixated on the TTS is that PCCB is mandatory for me, but you're definitely right to say I should keep an eye out for standard TT cars that have them. Something in my head is telling me to go for the TTS regardless if I pursue a 997.2 or 991.1 though as I would like to start off with the highest spec. I'm still having a hard time with the thought of consolidating cars, but I think a little seat time in either might convince me!

I appreciate all the feedback!

Bruce H. 02-07-2019 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 15621909)
Thank you 928 GT R,

It seems that my thread should have been titled 'How rare are the sunroof delete 991 TTS cars?' as it's now clear that the carbon roof really isn't an option at all. The main reason I've been fixated on the TTS is that PCCB is mandatory for me, but you're definitely right to say I should keep an eye out for standard TT cars that have them. Something in my head is telling me to go for the TTS regardless if I pursue a 997.2 or 991.1 though as I would like to start off with the highest spec. I'm still having a hard time with the thought of consolidating cars, but I think a little seat time in either might convince me!

I appreciate all the feedback!

Hi Steve. I considered every used 991.1 and .2 TT and TS in Canada for a couple of months before ordering new and I think I might have only seen one listed with no sunroof. At the time my wife thought she wanted the glass roof and just about every car had one. But I have almost never opened sunroofs on multiple cars and decided I'd rather have the extra headroom, less weight, and less chance of a wind noise or maintenance issues. In the end I ordered a TS for the PCCB, PDCC, center locks and so on, and without a sunroof. I then almost deleted the center locks to make wheel changes easier but they're kind of a cool feature that really distinguishes the TS and I'll just buy the tools. I know all of the differences and I think I could have been just as happy with a .1 as a .2 but the used prices are so high up here that ordering new with a good discount and the full warranty just made more sense.

Btw, I'm guessing I know your name from Supraforums. I had a '94 TT and Andi B. became a track buddy back in his OLOA days. I then got into a Viper TA, as did he soon after. Now he's in a GT3 and I'm going TS. Small world...if that's you!

Steve Theodore 02-08-2019 09:25 AM

Hi Bruce H,

Thanks for your kind reply and it is indeed a small world as I am the person you are thinking of (6x Supra TT owner) and Andi B. is a friend of mine. I appreciate hearing about how you ordered your 991!

Bruce H. 02-08-2019 05:32 PM

Cool, and good luck finding the perfect fit!

Bruce

A/S 02-08-2019 05:43 PM

The 991 Sunroof and worse the Glass roof are heavy, the extra hardware adds close to 25 lbs and it is top weight, the worse possible location for extra weight. Weight in this area is so important that Porsche doesn't offer a sunroof on the 991 GT3 or GT3 RS (and now a 991 GT2 RS).

My CF roof in the .2 RS saves me less than 3 lbs over the Aluminum roof in my 991 TTS (I have a fixed roof .1), and barely over 1 lbs compared to the Magnesium roof in my old .1 GT3 RS. These weight savings are nothing compared to the massive weight added on electric top 991 Turbos.

It took me a long time to find a sunroof delete 991 Turbo S about 3+ years ago. Despite of shopping for a lightweight spec Turbo S (because of PCCB, CL, and the needed lightweight roof), the car still came heavy ==> 3,648 lbs. My car has the Bursmester, but the system is barely any heavier than the standard Bose. No FAL, cars with FAL add plenty of weight too (over 20 lbs).

Even on low fuel to be able to set a decent lap time, the car was around 3,560 lbs in stock form. I managed to get it down to 3,380 lbs but going beyond that requires swapping seats, removing rear seats or removing equipment, not my preference.

There is unavoidable heavy equipment in the 991 TTS: PDCC, RWS, AWD, Full Leather, Bose, Rear Seats, all the Turbo hardware. Surprisingly, the AWD is pretty lightweight given its benefits.

Bruce H. 02-08-2019 07:12 PM

A/S, a friend told me the Burmester system is actually about 15 lbs lighter. Apparently the speakers are a lighter design, no magnets or a different type iirc. I skipped the FAL also for the weight savings as the car seems to have lots of front clearance already. It felt weird to order a top-of-the-line car that then offered pages of options, and even weirder not to feel the need to tick more boxes! How can keyless entry be an option on any car at even a quarter of the price? I just love that these cars are so desirable that they can actually get away with that kind of robbery... and I happily ticked the box :)

Bruce

onfireTTS 02-08-2019 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by A/S (Post 15625545)
The 991 Sunroof and worse the Glass roof are heavy, the extra hardware adds close to 25 lbs and it is top weight, the worse possible location for extra weight. Weight in this area is so important that Porsche doesn't offer a sunroof on the 991 GT3 or GT3 RS (and now a 991 GT2 RS).

My CF roof in the .2 RS saves me less than 3 lbs over the Aluminum roof in my 991 TTS (I have a fixed roof .1), and barely over 1 lbs compared to the Magnesium roof in my old .1 GT3 RS. These weight savings are nothing compared to the massive weight added on electric top 991 Turbos.

It took me a long time to find a sunroof delete 991 Turbo S about 3+ years ago. Despite of shopping for a lightweight spec Turbo S (because of PCCB, CL, and the needed lightweight roof), the car still came heavy ==> 3,648 lbs. My car has the Bursmester, but the system is barely any heavier than the standard Bose. No FAL, cars with FAL add plenty of weight too (over 20 lbs).

Even on low fuel to be able to set a decent lap time, the car was around 3,560 lbs in stock form. I managed to get it down to 3,380 lbs but going beyond that requires swapping seats, removing rear seats or removing equipment, not my preference.

There is unavoidable heavy equipment in the 991 TTS: PDCC, RWS, AWD, Full Leather, Bose, Rear Seats, all the Turbo hardware. Surprisingly, the AWD is pretty lightweight given its benefits.

I ordered a “lightweight “ for the same reasons. No sunroof, FAL, etc. I'll be curious to see what it weighs on my scales with a full tank. Looks like 3648lbs but I really hope not. It did go V260 on Thursday!

What mods have you done to drop weight ? I’d like to be 3480 with a full tank. I have an Inconel Kline that should drop 38lbs. An 18lb Braille should drop 34lbs and a rear seat delete should drop 20lbs. 92lbs. Total. I don’t want to do wheels but that’s another 26lbs ish.

Steve Theodore 02-08-2019 09:40 PM

Wow, these 991s weigh even more than I thought! Glad to know some of you chose to spec your cars just as I would...I'd probably still spec hand crank windows (and definitely manual seats) if they offered it.

What I really need to do is review some proper 997.2 TTS versus 991.1 TTS threads. I really love the footprint of my 997.2 GT3 RS and it's hard for me to WANT a larger car. That being said, too many of my damn friends have told me that the 991.1 is magical so I know I would be foolish to dismiss it. I'm so in love with Agate Gray, that is the color I want mine to be, regardless of generation. Thanks all for your great comments!