Sponsored by: Road Spy

Rennline grilles installed on 991.2 TTS with ACC

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:48 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Rennline grilles installed on 991.2 TTS with ACC

Took on my first real DIY upgrade on my new to me 2017 TTS. I knew that I wanted to do something like this after cleaning leaves out of my wife's 991.1 this past fall, but I'm not sure I would have attempted it without having this forum as a resource. So after spending a lot of time reading and watching how to remove the front clip, I took the plunge and ordered the Rennline grilles (decided against the Zunnsport based on fitment esp with my ACC, although it also looks like a quality product). Overall the install took me a few hours since I wanted to take my time and learn the car as I went along, and I had to improvise a bit with the actual install of the grilles as the photos in the instructions were an exact match for my vehicle (and they don't go into a ton of detail). Additionally, I had to remove and reinstall my sensors for my laser system (which probably added a good hour to the process so that I could properly prep the area for the install). That said, it's pretty easy overall. It just takes a bit of time to get everything taken apart and then back together. I'd estimate that I could probably do it in half the time now that I've gone through it once, but hopefully I won't need to..

Lastly, thank you again to all who post their questions and to those who help answer them, it what makes this forum so great. Here are a couple links that helped me tremendously:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1023...tallation.html

Now on to some pictures, as we all know, it didn't happen if there aren't any pics (and apologies that I don't have more of the actual grille install, but I was getting pressure to finish up from the wife).

Getting the front up on jack stands to get better access to the screws holding in the fender liner. Helpful tip: I used a hex offset drive adapter ($20 at home depot) to remove most of these screws.

Side marker removed. To remove, pull the whole light housing backwards towards the rear of the car. It will move backwards a couple of millimeters, then you can rotate the front of the light away from the car. Once the front of the light is out, the whole assembly comes out easily.

Taking stock of the screws, so that I can keep track.

In process of removing all the plastic covers from the frunk. I removed the top, then the sides, and lastly the bottom. Easy enough, just need to be gentle and patient.

Bottom of the fender liner released.

Tubing for the headlight washers is located behind the driver's side fender liner. Push the whole tube towards the center of the car to release from it's bracket. Then remove the clip that holds the tubing to the connector. Once the clip is removed, the tubing pulls away easily.

Another close-up of the headlight washer tubing.

Front Clip removed

Tubing for the Turbo/S front spoiler. Located on the passenger side right above where the fender liner and the front clip meet. Two tubes are simply disconnected by pulling apart. Reconnecting, is just the reverse.

Another view of the spoiler tubing.

Recording which connectors go to each of my laser sensors

Recording which connectors go to each of my laser sensors

Note: housing around the ACC unit. This housing will actually go around the grille once installed.

All done -- hard to see in this lighting, but happy that I won't have any more debris collecting in front of my radiators!

Center grille: Note that ACC housing that is attached to the vehicle goes around the installed grille. This takes a little manipulation to reinstall the first time, but with a little patience it is easy enough.

Driver's side grille installed. You need to remove the 4 screw for the lighting housing to install the top of the grille. You do NOT need to remove the entire light housing or the headlight washer nozzle (ask me how I know

Passenger's side grille installed.

Last edited by NightBlueTTS; 01-04-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:29 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 571 Posts

Well done and thanks for all the photos....Rennline make quality products as I have them on my 993 and also had them on a Cayenne I sold......well machined parts......

Porsche should have had vent grills from the start on the TT/TTS especially considering the relatively high price point on this car........the grills make it as a final touch in my opinion..........great job that you did....

The grills from Zumsport do not require removal of the bumper, but the job is not as clean looking.........currently they do not have a 991.2 for the Turbo non-ACC.....if I was in England they offered me a free set if they could use my car for the dimensions of the grills.......hopefully someone takes them up on it and we can see the result........
Old 12-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Excellent install guide...thanks for taking the time to do all that. I'll probably be using this as a resource guide next summer! Would it have been much easier on a 2 post lift if available or not so bad just jacked as you did? Your car and the grill results look great!

Bruce
Old 12-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Outstanding info...
Old 12-28-2018, 01:46 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Wow...thanks for the great lesson. I opted for Zunsport grills but next time I may just try this. Thanks Again and well done.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:31 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Excellent install guide...thanks for taking the time to do all that. I'll probably be using this as a resource guide next summer! Would it have been much easier on a 2 post lift if available or not so bad just jacked as you did? Your car and the grill results look great!

Bruce
It would probably be marginally easier with a lift but likely not by much. What was key for me was access to the screws for the liner (I contemplated just using my front lift function) and having clearance under the front to remove the screws at the bottom of the clip. I’ve seen it done without any of the above, but seemed easier to just lift up the car.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2019, 02:10 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice work. Where do you disconnect the connector for the parking sensors/turn signals on the .2? Rennline make a great product love mine. Just wish they were as easy to install as the zunsport...
Old 01-04-2019, 02:36 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Have this on my to do list on 997 and 991. Can you post pics of the 991 grill set so I can differentiate which is which. Rennline sent both in same box.

I tried the Zunsport for 991.2 turbo with ACC and fitment is off. Their cutting pattern seems slightly off. Had them on my 997 turbo for years but think Rennline looks neater although $6-700 for a bit of chicken wire for both cars = ridiculous Porsche tax. Awful Porsche don't put some protection in for rads and condensers. I wonder if these grill sets effect cooling efficiency?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:55 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB 911
Nice work. Where do you disconnect the connector for the parking sensors/turn signals on the .2? Rennline make a great product love mine. Just wish they were as easy to install as the zunsport...
thanks. You’ll find the connectors inside the fender liners: 1 brown connector towards the top of the drivers side and 1 brown and 1 white connector towards the top of the passenger side.

Here’s an example: https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0dd8ae1201.jpg
Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IMI A
Have this on my to do list on 997 and 991. Can you post pics of the 991 grill set so I can differentiate which is which. Rennline sent both in same box.

I tried the Zunsport for 991.2 turbo with ACC and fitment is off. Their cutting pattern seems slightly off. Had them on my 997 turbo for years but think Rennline looks neater although $6-700 for a bit of chicken wire for both cars = ridiculous Porsche tax. Awful Porsche don't put some protection in for rads and condensers. I wonder if these grill sets effect cooling efficiency?
sorry I didn’t snap additional photos of the grilles prior to install. Do you want to try posting pics of everything you have and we might be able to help you identify which is which?
Old 01-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

IMI A ..I should received mine soon and can post...991.2 ACC
Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nanook
IMI A ..I should received mine soon and can post...991.2 ACC
Thanks in advance
Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

Nice job! As a contrast, I didn't want to do this particular job myself, so my dealer charged me $600 to do it for me. Use that as your reference if you are weighing the options. This should come standard on this car, I agree with others!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:42 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS

thanks. You’ll find the connectors inside the fender liners: 1 brown connector towards the top of the drivers side and 1 brown and 1 white connector towards the top of the passenger side.

Here’s an example: https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0dd8ae1201.jpg
thanks. that looks to be the same location as the .1 Were you able to reach them easily? That was the only tricky part for me and the rennline video appeared to fast forward over this bit.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts

Biggest pain for me on the install was the center grille. I could not get the housing to separate from the bumper in order to drill the holes for the screws and lock nuts that hold the grille on. Had to do it while the center housing was still attached but their is little room to fit in a screw driver on the outside to hold the screw while tightening the lock nut. No instructions on how the center comes apart. Took me as much time to do this as the entire R&R of the bumper and side screens together.

Quick Reply: Rennline grilles installed on 991.2 TTS with ACC