Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   What is the best lithium battery to get for a GT3/GT2 RS? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1119848-what-is-the-best-lithium-battery-to-get-for-a-gt3-gt2-rs.html)

onfireTTS 02-20-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by stealthpilot (Post 15651660)
Agree. But a lot of people do have after market drains.

I for one have a Thinkware dashcam and a radar detection and laser jamming system.

In principle the Thinkware shouldn't pose an issue because it has software that monitors battery voltage and cuts off at a user determined threshold which I set at 11.9v.

That is a legitimate issue. I think I’ll add an auxiliary battery if I put a dash cam in my TTS and keep it separate from the system.

Antigravity 02-20-2019 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15651417)
I may just be too limited in my thinking, but I do not understand the fascination with overcharge/discharge Circuitry if you do not add aftermarket drains to the car.I understand the nanny aspect of it, but, “for me” , it has never been needed and could be something else to fail. I’ve never had an issue in 42 years. Also don’t understand why you gig Braille when they have a 1/2% failure rate and I’ve had zero issues in 3 batteries from them in 7-8 years of using Braille. I do understand Competition and wish you well. You can promote your technology without going political. Over time, the nannies might become a standard and you would lead the way.

For both yourself and steathpilot. I have done my best to explain the characteristics of Lithium, and the benefits of having protections. I have spoken only in facts, if it does not work for you, or you don't agree with what I am saying, or you feel our product isn't to your liking please look at your options. I'm not hear to "defend" Antigravity Batteries, we have nothing to defend. We are putting out what we feel it the best Lithium option for Cars at this time. As I said before there are options for both of you. I am not saying you have to buy our products. Do your research and let the company you feel is best win your business.

Stealth Pilot, you asked how we would know if you battery failed due to over-charge..... the cells would be "puffed/swelled". If we didn't see that then we would know the battery was not over-charged. We open the batteries to check warranty. You are stating I'm being contradictory which I don't feel is accurate, and I won't get into an argumentative dialog, it easier to just pass on our product. I feel this is muddying the water of the facts. You feel I'm being deceptive or something, and that is unfortunate. So let agree we are NOT the best company for you to buy a product from.

onfireTTS, there are absolute risks without having protections. Your claim of Braille having a 1/2% failure rate is a statement THEY put on their website, I'm not sure of the accuracy. We have been called by numerous Braille Users who are choosing to buy Antigraivity due to failures. So that is all debatable. But lets talk facts...without protections the possibility of the Lithium Battery failing due to over-discharge is 100% higher, because the protected battery won't allow the over-discharge. That just ONE reason of the several to have protections. As far as you feel I am bashing Braille, or getting political, (disagree on the political thing) The battery you put a picture of is a $2400 dollar battery, it is built with a cell pack of Lithium Batteries going directly to the Terminals. No protections or Circuitry. Its a fine battery if you maintain it. There are other companies that have these protections that I am not calling out... so to be clear its not about Braille alone, it about not having modern typical protections yet charging extremely inflated pricing for the product. I'm stating FACTs... that is WAY too much money for what they offer. I'm not saying it won't work, and not saying its junk.... saying its an exceptionally expensive battery without even the most basic protection and latest technology that would protect it from damage or Thermal Runaway. You also said you used 3 of the Braille Batteries in 7-8 years.... that is not a good record. You are averaging 2.5 years for each battery, and that is not a good statistic for a lithium battery. The Antigraviity Battery warranty alone is 3 year Direct replace. Maybe you meant you have 3 different cars each with a Braille? And did they cover the warranty if you only got 2.5 years outr of their battery? Did they honor your warranty?

onfireTTS, there is a fascination with OVER-DISCHARGE because this has been one of the biggest problems in all the history of Batteries.... You say you have never had a problem with a battery over-discharging in 42 years is quite the incredible statistic. I cant think of a person I know who has never had a dead battery, or come back to an over-discharged battery.. So the fascination is because, this is a real issue, not something I'm making up , but additionally in many of today's cars people can drain their battery, and that may lead to needing outside assistance, or as in Porsche and many other cars you can't even access the battery because you can't even open the hood on your Frunk if the battery goes dead. So what we, Antigravity Batteries, have developed prevents that. If you feel that is not beneficial then you have no need for what we offer, then obviously go with what you feel works for you. For most persons this is a pretty incredible feature, and to be able to access built-in jump starting with a Keyfob is pretty ingenious. If you think paying $2400 dollars for a battery without any such feature that is another choice.

stealthpilot 02-20-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
That is a legitimate issue. I think I’ll add an auxiliary battery if I put a dash cam in my TTS and keep it separate from the system.

Great point. I will do the same thing and switch it from a live circuit to one that switches off with the ignition.

onfireTTS 02-20-2019 01:24 PM

D

Originally Posted by Antigravity (Post 15651803)
For both yourself and steathpilot. I have done my best to explain the characteristics of Lithium, and the benefits of having protections. I have spoken only in facts, if it does not work for you, or you don't agree with what I am saying, or you feel our product isn't to your liking please look at your options. I'm not hear to "defend" Antigravity Batteries, we have nothing to defend. We are putting out what we feel it the best Lithium option for Cars at this time. As I said before there are options for both of you. I am not saying you have to buy our products. Do your research and let the company you feel is best win your business.

Stealth Pilot, you asked how we would know if you battery failed due to over-charge..... the cells would be "puffed/swelled". If we didn't see that then we would know the battery was not over-charged. We open the batteries to check warranty. You are stating I'm being contradictory which I don't feel is accurate, and I won't get into an argumentative dialog, it easier to just pass on our product. I feel this is muddying the water of the facts. You feel I'm being deceptive or something, and that is unfortunate. So let agree we are NOT the best company for you to buy a product from.

onfireTTS, there are absolute risks without having protections. Your claim of Braille having a 1/2% failure rate is a statement THEY put on their website, I'm not sure of the accuracy. We have been called by numerous Braille Users who are choosing to buy Antigraivity due to failures. So that is all debatable. But lets talk facts...without protections the possibility of the Lithium Battery failing due to over-discharge is 100% higher, because the protected battery won't allow the over-discharge. That just ONE reason of the several to have protections. As far as you feel I am bashing Braille, or getting political, (disagree on the political thing) The battery you put a picture of is a $2400 dollar battery, it is built with a cell pack of Lithium Batteries going directly to the Terminals. No protections or Circuitry. Its a fine battery if you maintain it. There are other companies that have these protections that I am not calling out... so to be clear its not about Braille alone, it about not having modern typical protections yet charging extremely inflated pricing for the product. I'm stating FACTs... that is WAY too much money for what they offer. I'm not saying it won't work, and not saying its junk.... saying its an exceptionally expensive battery without even the most basic protection and latest technology that would protect it from damage or Thermal Runaway. You also said you used 3 of the Braille Batteries in 7-8 years.... that is not a good record. You are averaging 2.5 years for each battery, and that is not a good statistic for a lithium battery. The Antigraviity Battery warranty alone is 3 year Direct replace. Maybe you meant you have 3 different cars each with a Braille? And did they cover the warranty if you only got 2.5 years outr of their battery? Did they honor your warranty?

onfireTTS, there is a fascination with OVER-DISCHARGE because this has been one of the biggest problems in all the history of Batteries.... You say you have never had a problem with a battery over-discharging in 42 years is quite the incredible statistic. I cant think of a person I know who has never had a dead battery, or come back to an over-discharged battery.. So the fascination is because, this is a real issue, not something I'm making up , but additionally in many of today's cars people can drain their battery, and that may lead to needing outside assistance, or as in Porsche and many other cars you can't even access the battery because you can't even open the hood on your Frunk if the battery goes dead. So what we, Antigravity Batteries, have developed prevents that. If you feel that is not beneficial then you have no need for what we offer, then obviously go with what you feel works for you. For most persons this is a pretty incredible feature, and to be able to access built-in jump starting with a Keyfob is pretty ingenious. If you think paying $2400 dollars for a battery without any such feature that is another choice.

Don't want to hurt your feelings and argument,, BUT ALL THREE BRAILLE BATTERIES ARE STILL IN USE. I have more than one hobby car.