Sponsored by: Road Spy

ALP and k40 system installed - super clean

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 08:46 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts
Default ALP and k40 system installed - super clean

Just got my AntiLaser Priority and k40 360 radar systems migrated over to the TTS.

Worked with my installer (Eric Jones of https://m.facebook.com/CarInstallationsCT/)to come up with a super clean/stealth install that I think came out great.

Highly recommend the system and installer (he’s done a few installs including front/rear cameras for me, and he is the primary resource for my local dealer).

Fabricated the piece to take place of the cigarette adapter and wrapped it in Alacantra.

LEDs hidden in vents for front/rear radar

LEDs hidden in vents for front/rear radar

Last edited by NightBlueTTS; 12-10-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

wow, very clean install,

how often do you have to open the cover in middle console? that's the only thing that may be awkward while driving....?

do you have many false alerts?
Old 12-08-2018, 11:23 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Thanks.

Once you’ve driven around a bit and you have automatically marked the false alerts, the system is pretty quiet. So I end up leaving the controls covered most of the time. YMMV

With the ALP system, I have it set to jam for 3 seconds and then it resets itself (so the LEO can get a reading). I’ve also made adjustments for it to vary it’s jamming based on speed— all very adjustable with the Bluetooth module and the iOS app.

I also have an extra iPhone that connects to my car’s WiFi and runs Waze over CarPlay. (Don’t ask why I’ve gone so overboard).

This triple setup with being vigilant/smart and using rabbits whenever possible

Old 12-08-2018, 12:43 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

With the k40, once you’ve driven around a bit, it learns the false alarms and is generally pretty quiet. YMMV.

With the ALP, I have it set to only jam for 3 seconds if above a certain speed (as you may know, this allows for the LEO to get a reading once you’ve had the chance to slow down).

With this setup, I rarely need to touch the controls which is pretty awesome.

Lastly, I also have an extra iPhone that I’ve dedicated to use for its waze over CarPlay functionality (using the car’s built in WiFi). *dont ask why I’ve gone to all this trouble

The downside to having the extra phone in the car is that your phone is not connected for voice calls, but I seemed to have found a reasonable workaround: I sign on to both phones with the same iCloud account and then allow them to share calls over WiFi. This allows me to receive calls and texts on my CarPlay phone. Let me know if I can help further.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:27 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

I don’t have much of an issue with using the controls because I usually don’t really need to access them.

For the k40, once you’ve driven around a while, the system will either autofilter false alarms or you can mark them. From then on, it’s pretty quiet. YMMV.

For the ALP, I have it set to jam for 3 seconds only. This way the LEO can get a speed reading after you’ve had time to slow down. I also don’t have it set to jam below 25mph. You can configure the system in multiple ways — and I find using the iOS app the easiest way to do this.

Lastly, I have an extra iPhone that I have dedicated for waze over CarPlay use in the car using the built in WiFi hotspot.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:38 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Not sure why my posts keep getting deleted. I will try again..

I find that the setup is generally pretty quiet once you’ve set it up, therefore hiding it behind the door is a non-issue for me. YMMV.

For the k40, once you’ve driven around enough to learn/mark false alarms, it mostly doesn’t go off.

For the ALP, I have it setup to automatically turn itself off after 3 seconds. Also, I have it in detection mode only at speeds under 25mph. All very easily configurable with either the control pad or the iOS app. I find the app useful for setting up the configurations and upgrading the firmware, otherwise I don’t use it.

Lastly, I dedicated an old phone to waze over car play. I use the built in WiFi hotspot for data. And by signing into my car play phone and normal phone using the same ID, I am able to get phone calls over the car’s Bluetooth.

The downside to using a dedicated CarPlay phone is that you have to use that phone for phone calls. And since it doesn’t use your same phone number, you need to sign in to both phones with the same applies and enable “Calls on other Devices” to receive phone calls.

It it works reasonably well. **dont ask why I’be gone to such lengths.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:14 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks fantastic. I wish I has spent a bit more and put my ALP controls in the ashtray.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:16 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

I think the Ashtray system is so Ideal...my 9500ci is installed this way and works perfect. The only problem was that it did not have a way to power off due to how the system was integrated in the ashtray. So I put in a power switch by the fuse box. System works great now.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I use a portable Uniden R3 hard wired to my rear view mirror

It works reasonably well, I don't like that it keeps telling me I'm going too fast, haha, what's the point of having a radar detector?
Old 12-09-2018, 01:42 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS

It works reasonably well, I don't like that it keeps telling me I'm going too fast, haha, what's the point of having a radar detector?
ha!

around here the laser protection is the most critical component. There is some ka band usage, but it’s always laser when they’ looking to pull people over. Wasn’t really much extra work to install the radar since the wires run basically the same path through the car.

With regards to the power, fortunately mine is wired to come on / go off with the ignition.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS

You can turn that notification off in the menu
Old 12-09-2018, 01:58 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
I think the Ashtray system is so Ideal...my 9500ci is installed this way and works perfect. The only problem was that it did not have a way to power off due to how the system was integrated in the ashtray. So I put in a power switch by the fuse box. System works great now.

My installer wired one of the unused console buttons as an on/off switch...handy to kill a laser jam immediately
Old 12-10-2018, 11:56 AM
WillCS2
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very clean install! I have the same system and it works great, never had an issue thus far.

Does anyone know about software updates with the K40?
Old 12-10-2018, 02:18 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Nanook
My installer wired one of the unused console buttons as an on/off switch...handy to kill a laser jam immediately
This would definitely be ideal but I had to do it after the fact and cost me $3 for the switch 30 min to install since I could easily tap into wire. Almost as good as console I guess.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:09 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS

With the k40, once you’ve driven around a bit, it learns the false alarms and is generally pretty quiet. YMMV.

With the ALP, I have it set to only jam for 3 seconds if above a certain speed (as you may know, this allows for the LEO to get a reading once you’ve had the chance to slow down).

With this setup, I rarely need to touch the controls which is pretty awesome.

Lastly, I also have an extra iPhone that I’ve dedicated to use for its waze over CarPlay functionality (using the car’s built in WiFi). *dont ask why I’ve gone to all this trouble

The downside to having the extra phone in the car is that your phone is not connected for voice calls, but I seemed to have found a reasonable workaround: I sign on to both phones with the same iCloud account and then allow them to share calls over WiFi. This allows me to receive calls and texts on my CarPlay phone. Let me know if I can help further.
How is this set up working for you? I like the idea of two phones. I had a second phone for my ALP, but have since got rid of it because I didn't like the clutter. Once you turn off K band, you don't really need a radar display.

Quick Reply: ALP and k40 system installed - super clean