Sponsored by: Road Spy

Catless exhaust = CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:49 AM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Catless exhaust = CEL?

I have an Armytrix catless exhaust and GIAC tune, and despite of adding spacers on the O2 sensors, I cannot get rid of the CEL. After clearing it, it comes right back after a short ride and a restart.

The codes I am getting are:
B2AAA
P2097
P2099
P2270

I have replaced the sensors themselves as well, just in case of faulty sensors. I have reached out to GIAC and they informed me that they won't delete emissions lights (obviously for legal reasons).

My questions are:
Will a local tuner, that works with GIAC, be able to delete the light?
Will another tune like COBB be able to?
Or what else can I try?

My inspection is coming up soon so I need to resolve this or else it won't pass NY inspection. Also, the light is annoying as hell.

Forgive me if a similar thread has already been posted but I've searched this forum and haven't found an exact answer to my problem.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:18 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

my understanding is catless causes CEL, have not heard of any way around it
Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Will you pass NY inspection with a cat less exhaust regardless of the light?
Do you go careless for sound only? Racing or Sport cats not an option. My EP has sport cars on it with no CEL issues. Don't know how you can clear those for good catless.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:31 AM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I am running a catless exhaust and a custom cobb map. No cell for many many months. Also I checked with my obd2 scanner the monitors and all show ok and two show n/a. I do not have any not ready monitors. The overall test shows as pass. I will be checking with my local shop too using their scanner. The car should pass no problem.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:30 AM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Will you pass NY inspection with a cat less exhaust regardless of the light?
Do you go careless for sound only? Racing or Sport cats not an option. My EP has sport cars on it with no CEL issues. Don't know how you can clear those for good catless.
I will pass with a catless system as long as all monitors are ready with no CEL. Yes mostly for sound. Since the exhaust is valvetronic, I like the flexibility of being able to sound close to stock or open it up for loud. I don't believe they provide a catted option for 991.1 tt/s. I've had other de-catted cars and the tune relieves the CEL.

Originally Posted by kouzman
I am running a catless exhaust and a custom cobb map. No cell for many many months. Also I checked with my obd2 scanner the monitors and all show ok and two show n/a. I do not have any not ready monitors. The overall test shows as pass. I will be checking with my local shop too using their scanner. The car should pass no problem.
Do you have spacers on the sensors? What exhaust do you have? If you don't mind me asking. Good to read there's hope, I don't want to swap the setup.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:41 PM
kouzman
Racer

Originally Posted by aft86
I will pass with a catless system as long as all monitors are ready with no CEL. Yes mostly for sound. Since the exhaust is valvetronic, I like the flexibility of being able to sound close to stock or open it up for loud. I don't believe they provide a catted option for 991.1 tt/s. I've had other de-catted cars and the tune relieves the CEL.

Do you have spacers on the sensors? What exhaust do you have? If you don't mind me asking. Good to read there's hope, I don't want to swap the setup.
no spacers. I am running an inconel Kline exhaust and a stage 2 turn from Sam@bydesign.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:08 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 689 Likes on 438 Posts

Scott here from Fabspeed Motorsport, we recently developed a tune for the 991.2 Turbo, and we currently offer a tune for the 991.1. Both with the capabilities to tune out the CEL. Feel free to reach out with questions!

Old 09-25-2018, 11:10 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

I plan on running a catless Kline system without a tune. Sam (By Design) said that these will eliminate codes 99% of the time.

Vibrant Part # 11619

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-26-2018, 11:06 AM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I plan on running a catless Kline system without a tune. Sam (By Design) said that these will eliminate codes 99% of the time.

Vibrant Part # 11619 https://youtu.be/8aV0kyTuuhg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, those are the exact spacers I am using. Sam mentioned these in a thread before so I gave them a try but no favorable results.

O2 Spacers
Old 09-26-2018, 11:15 AM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by aft86
Yes, those are the exact spacers I am using. Sam mentioned these in a thread before so I gave them a try but no favorable results.

O2 Spacers
What worked for you?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:23 AM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
What worked for you?
Nothing yet. I tried spacers and replaced the sensors but the light comes right back. My next solution is to visit a local tuner that is an authorized GIAC tuner to see what they can do.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 689 Likes on 438 Posts

Scott here from Fabspeed again we carry O2 spacers with actual catalytic cells, VERY effective solution for eliminating CEL for catalyst efficiency. Take a peek at this option, let me know if there are any questions or concerns.

Fits most makes & models worldwide (Sold as a Pair)
Compatible with all Fabspeed Motorsport header, Sport Cat, and Catbypass products
Minimizes the triggering of the CEL by moving the O2 sensor further from the exhaust stream and scrubbing exhaust
Male end threads into existing M18 x 1.5 O2 Bungs
Spacer body dimensions: 3 3/4" L x 1 1/2" W x 1 1/2" H
Fitting dimensions: 1" L x 1" W x 1" H (not including threaded portion)
1" depth of threads on fittings for adjustments

Feel free to reach out for forum pricing!
Old 09-26-2018, 02:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

In New York, CA, Washington, MA, CO and 15 other states are checking for turned off O2 reporting in the ECU software. Your VIN will get logged and date stamp.
I suggest that you install your stock exhaust for registration/inspection. Make sure your readiness codes are showing "passed"
Turning off the onboard CEL just stops the communication to the gauge cluster. It does not "hide" the fact that the rear O2's aren't ready, thus failing your inspection.
Big Brother is starting to pound the pavement.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/23833/e...defeat-devices
Old 09-26-2018, 05:19 PM
kouzman
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin
In New York, CA, Washington, MA, CO and 15 other states are checking for turned off O2 reporting in the ECU software. Your VIN will get logged and date stamp.
I suggest that you install your stock exhaust for registration/inspection. Make sure your readiness codes are showing "passed"
Turning off the onboard CEL just stops the communication to the gauge cluster. It does not "hide" the fact that the rear O2's aren't ready, thus failing your inspection.
Big Brother is starting to pound the pavement.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/23833/e...defeat-devices
if i am not mistaken NYS will pass with one not ready monitor.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

Yes, but you will trip Bank 1 and Bank 2 for TWO non-readiness codes.

Quick Reply: Catless exhaust = CEL?