Sponsored by: Road Spy

KW Lowering Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Default KW Lowering Kit

Has anyone used the KW Lowering Kit for use in conjunction with PDCC on a Turbo S 991.2?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:11 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

I have them in the 991.1 Turbo S, PDCC.

Previously had H&R lowering springs, but I could not get the corner weights adjusted (not possible either with the stock suspension), and for me it was mandatory to get my alignment targets and corner weights set.

My car doesn't have Axle Lift, and the KW kit if I recall is not compatible with cars using Axle lift.

The KW springs are plenty stiffer than the H&R, so I had to run the car with the PDCC button pressed (this button is labelled wrong, it is simply PASM-Soft and PASM-Stiff with a little extra stiffness for PDCC in PASM-Stiff). This is mainly due to the stock shocks not being calibrated for the KW spring rates.

I recently installed a DSC-Sport in this 991 Turbo S, and now I can use PASM-Soft or PASM-Stiff nicely.

Spring Rates:

- Stock 991.1 GT3 RS: F:45 / R: 120 (in Nm/mm), something like 250# front and 685# rear (lbs per inch)

- Stock 991.2 GT3 RS (the sub 7 min Nurburgring GT3): F:100 / R:160

- Clueless on stock 991.1 or 991.2 Turbo S spring rates, but I would say they are close to Zero.

- KW H.A.S. for 991 Turbo S: F:80 / R:110 (front stiffer than 2016 GT3 RS and closer to 2019 GT3 RS, rear almost as stiff as 2016 GT3 RS).

On the streets the car feels comfortable and soft, my 2016 GT3 RS feels stiffer, but my GT3 is also lighter, doesn't have PDCC (these things are magic), and the tires are also softer (Michelin P4S vs. Cup2 in GT3).

We had to cut the front main spring from the KW kit, because my custom camber plates (needed to get -3.5 camber) could not provide me the target rake and ride height, but no need to cut them for a stock (floppy) camber plate.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Thank you very much. I have to check on front axle lift because this is the one car in which I purposely have it
Old 08-28-2018, 04:12 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

KW HAS doesnt work on 991.2 axle lift
KW regular springs work with axle lift, but I wasnt able to order them and KW factory postponed the delivery for my order.. waited 5weeks for them...

Techart are ok with FAL
Eibach are ok with FAL, I went Eibach and will install those next week
Old 08-28-2018, 09:49 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

I have confirmed with my KW HAS documentation that a 991 TTS with Axle lift cannot use it.

By the way, I have Front Axle Lift in the 991 GT3 RS, and I don't have it in the 991 TTS. The 991 TTS doesn't need it, I drive with the extended spoiler in the TTS everywhere, load the car on the trailer (aluma tilt) with the spoiler extended as well, and the car is lowered (even more than KW-HAS due to the modification made to the front springs).

The 991 GT3 RS in the other end must have FAL, even when I raise it, it scrapes the spoiler lip loading or unloading to the trailer (I have Race Ramps much longer than the TR5, they have two pieces per ramp). Weird thing is that my 991 TTS is lowered from the front and rear chassis points than my GT3 RS, my RS is maxed out for lowering in the front, and matched in the back for proper rake (+20mm compared to the front).

You could corner weight with spacer rings on static length springs (H&R, TechArt, GMG, Eibach, KW normal, others), but that would be a Labor-hassle.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:42 PM
swoobie
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I lowered a 991.2 TTS with TechArt. Haven't been on the track yet, but it works fine for street driving and I don't notice much (really any) ride degradation. I would not be able to get into my driveway without FAL after lowering.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:21 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Has anyone used the KW Lowering Kit for use in conjunction with PDCC on a Turbo S 991.2?

Thanks.
I have full race KW so I cannot help, but Elephant Racing had what seemd to be a very good lowering kit back when I researched with full adjustability.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:45 AM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Take care as 991.2 turbo has different FAL compared to old stlye gt3 FAL. Imo with competition suspension like kw coilovers the FAL wont work anymore. Maybe have this option only using the proprietary kw lift system instead of oem.

Thats why for the moment I have chosen to install just regular lowering springs
Old 04-08-2019, 05:22 PM
siddharth.desai
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
I have full race KW so I cannot help, but Elephant Racing had what seemd to be a very good lowering kit back when I researched with full adjustability.
Jean, I was thinking of getting the Bilstein B16 Damptronic, so that I can use them both for the street and the track. what do you think ?

do you have the KW Clubsport on your car ? how do they behave on the street ?
Old 04-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by siddharth.desai
Jean, I was thinking of getting the Bilstein B16 Damptronic, so that I can use them both for the street and the track. what do you think ?

do you have the KW Clubsport on your car ? how do they behave on the street ?
Sorry I cannot help with the B16 I have not tried them but read good reviews over here.

I have the Manthey competition KW not the clubsport, with the 100N/mm and 170 they are drivable on the street but not a smooth ride on bumpy roads, for dual useage I would go with softer springs.

I personally loved the factory setup with lowered HR springs, and lap times weren’t that much slower. KW when at the limit, in Time Attack mode with racing slicks do they provide you with added confidence and much better handling.

Quick Reply: KW Lowering Kit