Sponsored by: Road Spy

Need some guidance on a 991.1 vs .2 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need some guidance on a 991.1 vs .2 TTS

............I apologize ahead of time if this has been discussed but I couldn't find the thread when I searched.

In short, I'm planning to add a TTS coupe with sunroof by this time next year. I've been watching the price drops of the .1 on autotrader, and I've now even seen a couple below $100K.
The .2's are still much higher but will probably be in the $130-150K range by this time next year, if not a bit lower.

I've driven the .2 at the porsche school in birmingham and became a convert. It would be my 3rd car (I've got a truck and am waiting on delivery of a 2019 Shelby GT350). So the turbo S will be a car I daily a lot and will maybe take to the track a couple of weekends a year.
My previous Porsches are a 987 Cayman S and a 997.2 Carrera GTS cab.

The instructors at Porsche couldn't really tell me of any significant performance differences between the .1 and .2 so I wanted to get an idea from .1 and .2 owners (or those who traded their .1 for a .2) about any real world differences/performance differences, and if it's worth spending the extra $30K+ by next year on a .2.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:52 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 571 Posts

.2 has some better performance and luxury features avalable on the TTS.... better PCM, multifunctional steering wheel, bigger turbos, more horsepower/torque, booster on torque with mode 991.2 rotary switch....just refinements that make it a bit better....
Old 03-17-2019, 12:45 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 442 Likes on 287 Posts

I have never driven a 991.2 but I own 991.1. My understanding is that the .2 is a little better in the performance area. It also has updated technology. That said the .1 is still a very capable car, certainly more capable than the average or even above average driver. I think the standard advice is applicable. Get the newest car you can comfortably afford. Also, it would be recommended to go test drive a 991.1. Let us know how it turns out. MotorWeek recently came out with a review of a 991.2 cab. Comparing their straight line acceleration numbers to mine they were almost identical and I was not prepped had a full tank of gas and no tire warm up. This kind of tells me that the performance increase is not that much, at least straight line performance. If you’re willing to pay for the improved interior and electronics then I say go for it. If you are making your decision purely based on performance I doubt you will be able to tell any difference.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 03-19-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:15 AM
cartester
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 991.2 S peaks at 20 hp more then the 991.1 S but due to torque management all of that starts at 5500 rpm with the peak at 6750 rpm. So if you live between those engine speeds you'll see an average increase of 10 hp in that range with the .2 over the .1. With physically larger turbochargers generating those 20 extra hp there is the potential for even greater gains with aftermarket mods.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:18 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

I went for a .1 knowing i would likely mod it. So saved around $35 and spent much less than that to turn it up a few notches. Now I have .2 TTS levels of performance for less $$ and my car still only has 13K miles. You cant go wrong either way. the .2 is a smidge/little better all around. .1 is better value. Both awesome. .1 values are good right now and with CPO youre in good shape. Only bummer with .1 - no apple play . From there, it doesnt give up much.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:19 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,618 Likes on 2,152 Posts

I looked for a long time and considered many aspects of ownership before purchasing my 991.1 vs a 991.2. It came down to two cars: A brand new White 19 TTS and and a Sapphire Blue Exclusive build CPO 15 TT with 62 options. Cost was not the main issue, details of the car played the major role and I loved the build sheet and low miles of the 991.1

The performance differential of the 991.2 (560 hp vs 580 & both generate 516 ft of torque) simply did not seem large enough to bridge the $80k price differential for a lesser optioned car. Plus the dealer with the .2 is a disaster at both sales and service...

It also turned out the 991.1 has fresh full XPEL clear wrap, perfect paint, "S" software upgrade and a beautiful titanium exhaust system.

The trick is finding the car you want, the differences between the 991.1 & 991.2 are quite minimal. The 992? We will see about that one!

Last edited by 928 GT R; 03-31-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:35 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinmd
............I apologize ahead of time if this has been discussed but I couldn't find the thread when I searched.

In short, I'm planning to add a TTS coupe with sunroof by this time next year. I've been watching the price drops of the .1 on autotrader, and I've now even seen a couple below $100K.
The .2's are still much higher but will probably be in the $130-150K range by this time next year, if not a bit lower.

I've driven the .2 at the porsche school in birmingham and became a convert. It would be my 3rd car (I've got a truck and am waiting on delivery of a 2019 Shelby GT350). So the turbo S will be a car I daily a lot and will maybe take to the track a couple of weekends a year.
My previous Porsches are a 987 Cayman S and a 997.2 Carrera GTS cab.

The instructors at Porsche couldn't really tell me of any significant performance differences between the .1 and .2 so I wanted to get an idea from .1 and .2 owners (or those who traded their .1 for a .2) about any real world differences/performance differences, and if it's worth spending the extra $30K+ by next year on a .2.
991.1's were built before 2017, all 2017 and up are 991.2. The 991.2 will cost you more because the cars are newer, if you find a CPO car you can get warranties to 2023 like my car, ordered a new one and the dealer called me and said we just took the same car you ordered in trade, told them I was not interested, wanted new, but sent a friend over, who is a professional car detailer, car was in south Florida and I am in Pennsylvania, he called me and said "it's as good or better than new" after weeks of back and forth I got the car delivered to PA and saved over 52k. Car was one year and one day old with 2002 miles, owned by a 83 year old gentlemen, it was perfect. So look around they are out there
Old 03-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Woody7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone mentioned the upgraded PCM and Apple CarPlay in the 991.2. That was a factor for me since it makes using your phone GPS, etc. so much easier.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:18 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody7
Someone mentioned the upgraded PCM and Apple CarPlay in the 991.2. That was a factor for me since it makes using your phone GPS, etc. so much easier.
This is what i'm curious about: what specific technical differences are there? You say it makes using GPS easier, etc with an upgraded PCM......how does that translate to day to day use/technology? Is the PCM interface easier to use in the .2?
I don't care about apple car play-- had it in my M2 and didn't care for it/use it

Performance wise, it seems that the differences are minimal from what I've heard/read.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:11 AM
Woody7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what i'm curious about: what specific technical differences are there? You say it makes using GPS easier, etc with an upgraded PCM......how does that translate to day to day use/technology? Is the PCM interface easier to use in the .2?
I don't care about apple car play-- had it in my M2 and didn't care for it/use it

Performance wise, it seems that the differences are minimal from what I've heard/read.
I really like Apple CarPlay so that was a big difference for me - my comment about GPS referred to being able to use GPS apps from your phone like Waze and Google Maps, which are better than the built in GPS. Otherwise, IIRC PCM 3.0 has a bigger screen, more intuitive interface, faster response, wifi capability, etc. I went from a 997.2 to a 991.2 and never had the 991.1 with PCM 2.1 so maybe someone out there who has used both can add anything I missed.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 964 Posts

I'm with you on Apple Car Play. I have it in my GMC Denali and I don't like it at all.

The PCM system in the 991.1 cars works very well. I use the PCM navigation regularly, and it's great. I much prefer it to Waze. I don't care about wifi in a car, so that's not important to me. I think the biggest improvements in the newer PCM are the bigger screen as noted above, and perhaps faster processing speeds.

To me personally, I think the biggest improvements on the 991.2 cars are the design of the tail lights and the rear bumper cover. I have also heard great things about the anti-lag system for the turbos. I actually prefer the LED lighting on the front of the 991.1 cars over the 991.2 cars.

As others have said, they are both excellent choices. It's all good.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:27 PM
ausgezeichnet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP I have always found Porsche to be lagging behind in the tech front comparatively to other brands like BMW and Mercedes so always wanted to try and get the latest model in the Porsche line up .

I was impatient and bought a gen1 991 GTS just as the gen2 was 3,4 months away from launch .

I was definitely disappointed in the sat nav and tech .

I had come out of a BMW M4 and the process for example of making a call in car was so straight forward just hit voice button and ask for the name you want to call .

Switching to the Porsche I had to go into a menu and scroll through the alphabet letter by letter like an old rolodex system .

The sat nav was equally rubbish with no touch screen .

Suffice to say I sold the car soon after purchase .

The gen2 sat nav and Bluetooth phone are much better and if as you say the car is intended for daily use then I would advise gen2
Old 03-20-2019, 04:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgezeichnet

Switching to the Porsche I had to go into a menu and scroll through the alphabet letter by letter like an old rolodex system .

The sat nav was equally rubbish with no touch screen .
I have no doubt that the gen 2 system is better, but I'm confused by a few things you said. I use the voice button in my 991.1 to make calls all the time. It works well. My 991.1 has a touch screen. I prefer to use the ***** because I don't like fingerprints on the screen, but it's a touch screen if I want to use it that way. Also, what's so bad about the nav? Mine works great, the interface is fast, it has automatic traffic re-routing, etc. I can't imagine anything that it could do better.

I'm just curious....

Old 03-20-2019, 05:39 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

There were a number of refinements to the suspension, AWD/torque vectoring systems, and PDK to improve handling/performance as well as various changes to the engine. It's my impression from reviews that most improvements might not be noticeable in normal use but would be under more demanding driving on the track or wherever. Might have been a newer generation of P-Zero tire. I believe track times at both Laguna Seca and the Ring improved rather significantly. I think you can count on newer versions always improving in performance
Old 03-20-2019, 06:07 PM
ausgezeichnet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I have no doubt that the gen 2 system is better, but I'm confused by a few things you said. I use the voice button in my 991.1 to make calls all the time. It works well. My 991.1 has a touch screen. I prefer to use the ***** because I don't like fingerprints on the screen, but it's a touch screen if I want to use it that way. Also, what's so bad about the nav? Mine works great, the interface is fast, it has automatic traffic re-routing, etc. I can't imagine anything that it could do better.

I'm just curious....

perhaps it is different in Europe but mine had no touch screen sat Nav . It was a 2016 model

the screen was small and compared to the car I had previous a bmw M4 it was no good

the phone was also slow and hard to find a number from the memory unless it was in the recent calls list

Quick Reply: Need some guidance on a 991.1 vs .2 TTS