Sponsored by: Road Spy

Factory Outdoor Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 11:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Factory Outdoor Car Cover

I have the factory indoor cover and like it very much. Nice, soft, stretchy, simple thin indoor cover. So... I bought the outdoor version for those rare occasions when needed. I used it for the first time this afternoon and have to say it's weirdly over-complicated. It has buckles, draw-strings, zippers, a suction cup, and a carrying case that is permanently attached to the cover, and it's made from a thin not-so-soft material. I have 3M paint protection film on the whole car fortunately, because otherwise all the straps and zippers and carrying cases, etc. can't be easy on the paint. Call me crazy, but the big generic car cover I got from PepBoys, with its quilted soft lining and elastic corners (like a bottom bed sheet) feels kinder to the car -- at least for the occasional afternoon in the sun. Maybe the factory one would be better for long-term outdoor exposure (or maybe not) but curious if I'm missing the magic of this factory contraption?
Old 07-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I got the exterior Porsche cover from the previous owner and agree,,it's rough...so I bought this which is so much nicer https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991TTICC.html
Old 07-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Thanks Nanook. I have that one too and agree it's much nicer and way easier to use. It's not made for outdoor use though. I think I'll shop around for an aftermarket outdoor cover without all of the weirdness of the factory one.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:58 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a Superweave custom cover from www.calcarcover.com. It's an outdoor cover, soft, lightweight and compact. Ideal IMHO. (I have the one that comes in different colors. The top of the line, besides costing more, only comes in grey.)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
I have a Superweave custom cover from www.calcarcover.com. It's an outdoor cover, soft, lightweight and compact. Ideal IMHO. (I have the one that comes in different colors. The top of the line, besides costing more, only comes in grey.)
I have a the grey superweave from California Car Covers for my 944. It's a good cover, but it's a single thin nylon-like material and I'm hoping to find something with a softer liner. Noah looks promising. Re the Superweave material, I did a little test. I put a temp sensor on the dash of my 944 on an 85 degree day with the that cover on. The temp got up to 119 on the dash (and that was with a reflective windshield screen inside, windows half down and sunroof popped up). So then I put harbor freight moving blankets over all the glass and put the cover on top of that. Doing that reduced the temp down to 104 (still on an 85 degree day). To me that means that cover isn't blocking enough light/heat when the car is parked in the sun. For comparison, the thick/padded cover from PepBoys kept the temp in another car well under 110 (without blankets, etc.) -- not exactly apples to apples, but it still suggests those thin covers aren't the best at keeping the heat out of the car.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:06 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Good info! I should add that I got mine mainly for keeping dirt off the car when on trips out of town and needing to park overnight outdoors. This is why light weight and compact storage size were important to me. I never really thought about heat insulation, so your info is quite informative.

Last edited by Need4S; 07-29-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Factory Outdoor Car Cover