Sponsored by: Road Spy

how much rigidity and drive am I giving up

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:56 AM
Jeff Kay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much rigidity and drive am I giving up

if I go from coupe to cab? I have to decide which I am going with soon for a new order. I drove them back to back. coupe better looking, coupe smoother and glides along properly cab does still flex despite electronics and bracing and does feel a tad slower but that top down here in s fla help guys
Old 06-08-2018, 01:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,575 Likes on 5,077 Posts

You will notice less the difference in torsional rigidity than the additional weight of the Cab (about 150 pound weight penalty).
Old 06-08-2018, 01:11 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,206 Likes on 593 Posts

Very little difference in rigidity, particularly in normal road driving. The difference in a weight is pretty much equivalent to one medium-sized passenger, so easy to simulate.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:00 AM
sitecap
Track Day

Just got into a '17 TT Cab after owning a '14 TTS Coupe. I haven't noticed any real differences in torsional rigidity. The car has so much power the extra weight doesn't bother me (note that I also stepped down from a 991.1 TTS to a 991.2 TT).

The real question for me was "do I want the open air driving feeling?" After having a 996 C4 Cab a while back, I really wanted a convertible again.

Think about what you want your driving experience to be like. The option of having the top down overwhelms the other differences.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Jeff Kay
Instructor

However, I DID feel the imperfections in the road. I did notice a smoother ride (sportier) in the coupe. Even with all the electronics it stiff felt a tad flexible more to me.

the cab had 50 miles the coupe 12900 miles same tire pressures same roads same time of day

I attribute the slower cab had more to do with it not being broken in. But the other issues....
Old 06-09-2018, 03:42 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

If you're not going to track it and you live in Florida, I think it's a no brainer to get the Cab. Nothing is more fun than cruising with the top down. You can always add a By Design stage 3 or 4 to get extra speed and more sound out of it...
Old 06-09-2018, 04:13 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

For regular street driving you will be hard-pressed to feel any differences between the Cab and Coupe. If you are a hardcore track junkie, then the coupe makes a world of difference especially with suspension mods. To me personally, I like the coupe for its lighter weight and rigidity. Thats just my own personal preference. Another point is that the cabs are more expensive when new, but cheaper in the used market.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:53 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by henryting
Another point is that the cabs are more expensive when new, but cheaper in the used market.
I'm not sure I believe that. Looking at the Porsche pre-owned website everything is all over the place and I don't see a consistent pattern baring that assertion out. Sometimes the cabs of the same year are $10-15k higher, and other times even higher than that. Then sometimes the same price. I think the options and miles play a bigger role in the price differentials between all of the vehicles in general. It looks like the price differential between cab and coupe decreases over time between similar setups and miles, but doesn't disappear, which makes sense.

It doesn't help that Porsche changed their website search engine so that it groups prices by dealership distance rather than prices across the country now. When I was shopping for my CPO TTS last year, I remember the price differential being there as well but buried in the options and miles. The website was more useful in the format they had at that time. If you waited long enough, a really good deal would pop up that you could grab if you were ready to put money down right away. I ended up buying my cab from across the country to get the best deal when it popped, as I had seen three others pop and disappear within a day or two.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:11 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Kay
if I go from coupe to cab? I have to decide which I am going with soon for a new order. I drove them back to back. coupe better looking, coupe smoother and glides along properly cab does still flex despite electronics and bracing and does feel a tad slower but that top down here in s fla help guys
0-60:
2017 TTS Coupe: 2.5
2017 TTS Cab: 2.6

Quarter Mile:
2017 TTS Coupe: 10.5
2017 TTS Cab: 10.6

From a standing start, you’d be giving up 1/10 of a second. If you can feel that difference and call it “a tad”, then you owe it to yourself to get the coupe.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:28 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by ervtx

0-60:
2017 TTS Coupe: 2.5
2017 TTS Cab: 2.6

Quarter Mile:
2017 TTS Coupe: 10.5
2017 TTS Cab: 10.6

From a standing start, you’d be giving up 1/10 of a second. If you can feel that difference and call it “a tad”, then you owe it to yourself to get the coupe.

Empirically speaking, that difference is under the just noticeable difference threshold of human perception. It is imperceptible.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:33 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^ Exactly. I was being sarcastic
Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

If you want a cab, get a cab. It’s probably one of the most convenient and least compromised of its kind. The top operates at the touch of a button, as does the windblock. The top is really more of a folding hard top, so it has the look and function of a convertible but the security of a hard top. I don’t find the C pillar blind spot to be a problem, but some do. You’ll have to decide yourself if the added body flex will bother you.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:14 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by ervtx
^^^ Exactly. I was being sarcastic
I figured. Just agreeing based on some numbers I crunched when comparing Ferrari 458 variations vs. the 488. A difference of .2s in the 0-60 may be noticeable, but likely not. It would be very close. I’d have to look up the peer reviewed articles I used before and crunch the numbers.

Quick Reply: how much rigidity and drive am I giving up