Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:36 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrotmd
Does anyone know where the PASM controller is located in the 991.2 Cabriolet, and how easy it is to replace it with the DSC V3 ?

I found this write-up on how to install a DSC V3 in a 991 cabriolet - post 6 on this page:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9069...available.html
Old 03-27-2019, 03:22 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Guyts how do you reset the height sensors? Going to install my v3 soon
Old 03-28-2019, 04:21 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
my laps were consistently 1.5 seconds faster than ever before.
Conclusion, get a V box! Nothing more to discuss.
Good write up Randy, 1.5+ seconds is what I gained going to very expensive full competition suspension and setup data by Manthey..
I am only interested in fastest lap for time attack.

Do you know whether Mike runs the DSC in his Street Car Challenge?
Old 03-28-2019, 04:23 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by pepinozaur
Guyts how do you reset the height sensors? Going to install my v3 soon
Please do a before and after lap time test!
Old 03-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean

Do you know whether Mike runs the DSC in his Street Car Challenge?
I know he does, and I use the same map, installed by him. He offers the DSC tied to a full race suspension option, too. Unfortunately, my TTS is back to stock now and for sale at Euroclassics Porsche, so no more data coming from it.

https://www.euroclassics.porschedeal...d40d65783c.htm
Old 08-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Reviving this thread, since there is some good discussion happening at the moment around the DSC boxes on other threads.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:21 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

Put these units in our two turbo s's, and what a HUGE DIFFERENCE, even better handling and a smooth ride on all road surfaces, wish I got these sooner
The following users liked this post:
DSC Sport (08-28-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 08:53 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

I just received my Techart lowering springs, they will go in next month - this is of interest to me, and may very well be an addition I may want. Thanks for being the champion Randy.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:42 PM
JR956678
Instructor

I've had a DSC V3 on my 2017 TTs since last September or so (as soon as the firmware to fix the old issue with sunroof and FAL) and about a month ago got the notice that the car was due for an intermediate service. I pondered whether to put the factory PASM controller back in but decided to talk with my Service Advisor before doing that. I explained what I had and what it did and he was very cool about it so I left the DSC in - not sure if they would notice it or not.

When I picked the car up my SA thanked me for letting him know about the DSC V3 - the tech had in fact noticed some sort of anomaly in PIWIS when he connected to the car but knowing about the DSC (the SA told the tech about it) saved him a lot of time trying to figure out what was causing whatever it was he saw. So to answer the question - "Can you see something in PIWIS when you have a DSC V3?" the answer appears to be "Yes you can" but as long as you have an understanding Service Advisor the dealer would be OK with it and you'd do them a favor by cluing them in.
The following users liked this post:
4flynlow (12-06-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 09:01 PM
Tfk
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Pulling back out of my garage, I honestly noticed that the seam where the garage meets the asphalt felt noticeably smoother. I convinced myself that I was just looking for some imperceptible improvement. Out of the parking lot and onto the street, I nearly immediately had a huge smile on my face, because the car rode so much smoother that I honestly just could not believe the difference in the street ride, even on my Techart springs. For around town, the car is literally transformed back into a smooth ride. It's not Rolls Royce, but it's appropriate sports car but without the jarring or hard bumping.
It's specifically this ^ that has me torn between keeping my 991.1tts on Techart springs (and adding dsc v3), or, swapping out the techart springs/oem shocks... for Ohlins coilers.
I'm happy with the ride height on Techart springs.
I'm not happy with the harshness, or the unpredictability which the progressive springs have brought into the picture.

Ohlins would entail PDCC delete; not necessarily a bad thing if a 'golden middle ground' - between ride quality/performance - can be found.

Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2019, 09:06 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

I suppose the answer revolves around what you want out of the car. I didn't even know about the DSC controller until this thread, so I'll start with the springs, get some feedback from the chassis and then decide on the DSC. I would think that if you are going to track it, those super sexy Ohlin's may be the way to go.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:07 PM
Tfk
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I suppose the answer revolves around what you want out of the car. I didn't even know about the DSC controller until this thread, so I'll start with the springs, get some feedback from the chassis and then decide on the DSC. I would think that if you are going to track it, those super sexy Ohlin's may be the way to go.
I'm chasing ride quality/compliance/composure/connection.

I track the car once or twice a year.

Both my bikes run Ohlins suspension.
Took me some time to manually adjust compression/rebound/preload and geometry to my liking. But once that was done... Perfection achieved.
If that's anything to go by, then I'm pretty certain I'll be happy installing Ohlins on the tts.

DSC, I have experienced twice. Two different Porsche turbos; neither a 991.
1 997.1tt Stock suspension + DSC controller: Tried on track- Didn't feel a difference in ride/handling compared to stock. But the numbers do not lie. The numbers/lap times did improve; more than I expected (going by feel).
2 997.2tt Bilstein coilovers + DSC controller: Tried on the street. Couldn't believe the drastic improvement in ride quality. Total transformation. Left me in awe. Catch is, I never figured if that was the work of the coilovers or the dsc module. Hence, my predicament.

Regarding the (progressive) Techart springs *without dsc module*...
I can tell you that the aesthetic ride Height improvement is awesome. But it noticeably sacrifices ride quality and suspension travel/behavior predictability; which works against one's confidence while driving.
At slow speed they are harsh. The kind of harsh that almost makes me question why I traded my GT3 for the TTS.
At medium speed they are soft. Softer than stock. So soft they make me double and triple check that the lip spoiler is not extended. Otherwise goodbye spoiler (expensive on the turbo).
At high speed they are firm, yet not firm enough to drop my lap times around the track.
All in all, the springs seem to constantly transition between harsh-soft-firm making it harder for me to gel/sync with the car.

In my experience, the springs offer One clear benefit; aesthetic improvement.

For what its worth, I was advised to skip the springs and either leave my suspension stock, or, go to coilovers from the start. I didn't listen and I wish I had.
Proof: question stands...add dsc, or go Ohlins?
Old 08-24-2019, 10:25 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

For a car you track once or twice a year, I can't think of a reason not to just do the DSC and declare it a victory.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:16 PM
JR956678
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tfk
I'm chasing ride quality/compliance/composure/connection.
snip
For what its worth, I was advised to skip the springs and either leave my suspension stock, or, go to coilovers from the start. I didn't listen and I wish I had.
Proof: question stands...add dsc, or go Ohlins?
I think I would agree with Randy's post above - the DSC V3 with whatever springs you have or want would seem to me to be the best fit for your objective - it certainly delivers those objectives for me with stock springs.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:19 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

Having put this controller in my two Porsche's now, you can install and remove it in way under 5 minutes if you are worried about the dealer visit

Quick Reply: Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!