Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!

OK, I know there are other threads about DSC, but since I am a TTS guy I thought I would post here. I have Techart lowering springs, and I thought they were more street friendly and a little softer on curbing than the H&R on my previous car, and was generally happy with them. I have to admit that the springs do add some additional bump and harshness into the TTS, but I thought it was very reasonable. I've been talking with Mike Levitas at TPC Racing, also owner of DSC Sport, about suspension work on my car. He came up with a long list of options, starting with DSC V3 box. I admit, I was a bit skeptical that the V3 box would make much difference since I had lowered my car. I don't have front axle lift, and sunroof delete, which are two things I think DSC needs to discuss when you are buying. Before I started this install today, I went for about a 20 minute cruise around town, and finished up with a few laps around the outside of my parking lot. I wanted to have some baseline to compare.

The unit shipped out the same day I ordered from DSC/TPC Racing, and I installed it myself in about 20 minutes. There are a couple of installation videos on Youtube that I watched first before I started. I don't have stock seats in my car (Cobra Misano's) and I've already removed the rear seats when I installed the Cantrell Motorsports roll cage. The most time consuming part was moving the seats out of the way so I could access the back seat area, and the second most consuming part was finding the right way to bend myself around the roll cage to get to the unit. Lastly, once I got the carpet pulled back and the unit folded out, unplugging the larger plug did take a couple of minutes, but it came out. The new DSC Box plugged in much easier, and it only took a couple of minutes to fold it back into it's shelf and put the carpet and seats back.

Pulling back out of my garage, I honestly noticed that the seam where the garage meets the asphalt felt noticeably smoother. I convinced myself that I was just looking for some imperceptible improvement. Out of the parking lot and onto the street, I nearly immediately had a huge smile on my face, because the car rode so much smoother that I honestly just could not believe the difference in the street ride, even on my Techart springs. For around town, the car is literally transformed back into a smooth ride. It's not Rolls Royce, but it's appropriate sports car but without the jarring or hard bumping. I switched into Sport mode, and the ride went to a much firmer setup, and I'd say it was somewhat closer to the old Sport+ setting, which is fine if that's what I want, and probably perfect for autocross. The next big surprise came when I set the car to Sport+. I could literally feel every nuance of the pavement right through the wheel and seat, much more so than ever before. I think that's the most exciting discovery. In the parking lot test, I don't exactly time myself, but the anecdote is that the car just feels tigher and more alive/eager. If nothing else, my confidence is up, and I will be with Mike and TPC Racing/DSC in a couple of weeks at VIR to finally put the car to the test with both my gut feel and the stopwatch!

If you have a TTS or really any 991.2, lowered or not, you will be very pleased with the difference this $1290 plug-in device will make. Like I said, it has transformed the car! Highly recommended!
The following users liked this post:
4flynlow (08-29-2019)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:19 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 473 Posts

Thanks for the report, the last I read if you had front axle lift and sunroof you were out of luck, maybe still true
Old 03-28-2018, 05:47 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
OK, I know there are other threads about DSC, but since I am a TTS guy I thought I would post here. I have Techart lowering springs, and I thought they were more street friendly and a little softer on curbing than the H&R on my previous car, and was generally happy with them. I have to admit that the springs do add some additional bump and harshness into the TTS, but I thought it was very reasonable. I've been talking with Mike Levitas at TPC Racing, also owner of DSC Sport, about suspension work on my car. He came up with a long list of options, starting with DSC V3 box. I admit, I was a bit skeptical that the V3 box would make much difference since I had lowered my car. I don't have front axle lift, and sunroof delete, which are two things I think DSC needs to discuss when you are buying. Before I started this install today, I went for about a 20 minute cruise around town, and finished up with a few laps around the outside of my parking lot. I wanted to have some baseline to compare.

The unit shipped out the same day I ordered from DSC/TPC Racing, and I installed it myself in about 20 minutes. There are a couple of installation videos on Youtube that I watched first before I started. I don't have stock seats in my car (Cobra Misano's) and I've already removed the rear seats when I installed the Cantrell Motorsports roll cage. The most time consuming part was moving the seats out of the way so I could access the back seat area, and the second most consuming part was finding the right way to bend myself around the roll cage to get to the unit. Lastly, once I got the carpet pulled back and the unit folded out, unplugging the larger plug did take a couple of minutes, but it came out. The new DSC Box plugged in much easier, and it only took a couple of minutes to fold it back into it's shelf and put the carpet and seats back.

Pulling back out of my garage, I honestly noticed that the seam where the garage meets the asphalt felt noticeably smoother. I convinced myself that I was just looking for some imperceptible improvement. Out of the parking lot and onto the street, I nearly immediately had a huge smile on my face, because the car rode so much smoother that I honestly just could not believe the difference in the street ride, even on my Techart springs. For around town, the car is literally transformed back into a smooth ride. It's not Rolls Royce, but it's appropriate sports car but without the jarring or hard bumping. I switched into Sport mode, and the ride went to a much firmer setup, and I'd say it was somewhat closer to the old Sport+ setting, which is fine if that's what I want, and probably perfect for autocross. The next big surprise came when I set the car to Sport+. I could literally feel every nuance of the pavement right through the wheel and seat, much more so than ever before. I think that's the most exciting discovery. In the parking lot test, I don't exactly time myself, but the anecdote is that the car just feels tigher and more alive/eager. If nothing else, my confidence is up, and I will be with Mike and TPC Racing/DSC in a couple of weeks at VIR to finally put the car to the test with both my gut feel and the stopwatch!

If you have a TTS or really any 991.2, lowered or not, you will be very pleased with the difference this $1290 plug-in device will make. Like I said, it has transformed the car! Highly recommended!
Thank you for the review! We are very glad you like the DSC so far. Mike L owns a 991.1 Turbo S and he was fine tuning the DSC calibration last Fall to optimize street comfort and track performance on his car. We look forward to meeting you at VIR for hot laps with DSC!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 PM
bobodrink
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Wonderful review! Hope to hear thought on track soon!!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hcvone
the last I read if you had front axle lift and sunroof you were out of luck, maybe still true
DSC controls the dampers on both the 991.1TT and the 991.2TT just as brilliantly.
On .2TT the FAL and SR option are both on the CAN-bus(whereas .1 is analog), so when either function is activated it temporarily displays a fault due to cross talk on CAN. This is an annoyance but absolutely Does Not affect the DSC damper control performance. We have had a rough Winter here in the Northeast so we weren't able to get a .2 car in with either option to isolate the CAN-bit and to change one digit to prevent the temporarily fault display. Just a matter of time and opportunity to come across a .2 car equipped with these option at the shop for a fix. Any volunteer?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:48 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I will add this. Anyone who has a .2 car with both the FAL and a sunroof and willing to have TPC Racing work out those bugs on their car, I will offer to buy a DSC sport V3 controller for your trouble. I really want those annoyances to be resolved for my car already.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:47 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW1
I will add this. Anyone who has a .2 car with both the FAL and a sunroof and willing to have TPC Racing work out those bugs on their car, I will offer to buy a DSC sport V3 controller for your trouble. I really want those annoyances to be resolved for my car already.
Would someone in the MD/VA/DC area please take this gentleman up on his generous offer! He is serious.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:16 PM
JSA
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1
That’s very nice of you!
Old 03-28-2018, 11:19 PM
JSA
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

What’s the difference between V2 and V3? I have the V2 in my 991.2 Turbo S and I love it. Techart springs are being installed next week.

Also, where does TTS come from? Why (2) Ts??
Old 03-28-2018, 11:28 PM
JW1
Racer

From Tom (hope you don't mind me quoting you without asking first).

"There's a little bit of difference using stock shocks.
There's a big difference using Tractive shocks.
The reason is stock shocks are already near maxing out on performance range.
V3 has faster and more accurate Velocity damping control.
The ride height sensor data in the factory CAN bus processed to a filtered average value , not exact value.
All last year we tried with V2 to have faster Velocity with only marginal success.
We had to start with a new circuit board from ground up with bypass the factory filtering/processing and capture the raw Velocity data.
That was achieved with V3 hardware."

As for the TT, I'm guessing it stands for twin turbo?

You may reconsider doing the techart springs and just go with the full Tractive coilovers so that you would be able to take advantage of the increased performance if you decide to upgrade to the V3.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:40 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JSA
Also, where does TTS come from? Why (2) Ts??
Yes, it stands for "Twin Turbo S" and I certainly didn't invent, either. I think it's from the days of the original turbos and twin turbos. Somehow, it's the terminology everyone uses now for the Turbo S, but the question is fair.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:56 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1
From Tom (hope you don't mind me quoting you without asking first).

"There's a little bit of difference using stock shocks.
There's a big difference using Tractive shocks.
The reason is stock shocks are already near maxing out on performance range.
V3 has faster and more accurate Velocity damping control.
The ride height sensor data in the factory CAN bus processed to a filtered average value , not exact value.
All last year we tried with V2 to have faster Velocity with only marginal success.
We had to start with a new circuit board from ground up with bypass the factory filtering/processing and capture the raw Velocity data.
That was achieved with V3 hardware."

As for the TT, I'm guessing it stands for twin turbo?

You may reconsider doing the techart springs and just go with the full Tractive coilovers so that you would be able to take advantage of the increased performance if you decide to upgrade to the V3.
Crap, I just got V2 and my car is not even here yet :-(
Old 03-29-2018, 04:03 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

My DSC is a V2 and I got it not that long ago after a wait when they were back ordered. Good thing there is little difference with a v3 and stock shocks!
Old 03-29-2018, 08:50 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 473 Posts

I have a 17' 911 turbo s WITH sunroof and WITH front axle lift
Old 03-29-2018, 08:52 AM
JW1
Racer

Want to take me up on my offer?

If so, let's coordinate through Tom to get you in and taken care of.

Originally Posted by hcvone
I have a 17' 911 turbo s WITH sunroof and WITH front axle lift

Last edited by JW1; 03-29-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!