Sponsored by: Road Spy

Fair price for modded car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 02:14 PM
RockyMtn
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fair price for modded car?

Hi guys, I'm looking at a 2014 Turbo for sale that has a few mods, ecu tune, intercoolers, blowoff valves and exhaust. I'm wondering how these typically trade in the market vs unmodified cars? Also, are any of those mods particularly dangerous mechanically? I understand that any mod will entail some risk-- I mean relatively speaking. For background, I wasn't planning to buy a modded car or to do any mods but this car just matches a lot of what i'm looking for and I don't necessarily mind the mods as long as it doesn't end up being a bad financial decision.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Why buy a car that has already been tuned and modded? Especially if you have to pay a higher price for those add ons. Instead search out other vehicles that are more "virgin" and mod and tune it to your liking. Also possible that a car with those mods was driven hard. Look for some bankers car that was driven lightly and do the mod deed yourself. JMO
Old 03-15-2018, 02:39 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Mods typically don’t add any value on resale and can narrow your perspective buyer audience when it comes time to sell yourself. The thing to do would be to buy it and enjoy it if like you the mods on the car, since you would be getting them for next to nothing. You could then return the car to stock and part the mods out upon resale and get back a pretty good chunk of change given how much vendors charge for hardware mods on this platform.

What are the actual brands and models of the mods? Do you know? That matters also.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:35 PM
RockyMtn
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know the actual brand / part numbers of the mods but I have an inquiry into the seller. It's a one owner car that was traded to a non porsche dealer and then a porsche dealer bought it wholesale. So I don't think they have documentation on the mod installations, but I'm hoping that their service dept can tell me what they are just by a physical inspection. They did tell me that the install was done by Champion motorsport, who I don't know much about.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:55 PM
dundrln
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

......and I would also be concerned how it would effect the warranty, if still covered.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 PM
dundrln
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

.....and I recently purchased a 2015 911tt, and in my search I found that modded cars generally were for sale longer, and the prices were often a little lower than what I would expect the car would be priced if unmodded....just my experience from 4 months searching.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:31 AM
C4SxM5
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyMtn
I don't know the actual brand / part numbers of the mods but I have an inquiry into the seller. It's a one owner car that was traded to a non porsche dealer and then a porsche dealer bought it wholesale. So I don't think they have documentation on the mod installations, but I'm hoping that their service dept can tell me what they are just by a physical inspection. They did tell me that the install was done by Champion motorsport, who I don't know much about.
if it was a champion car you’ll probably looking at giac for tune and tubi for the exhaust system. I personally would pay more for a modded car if it has mods I would have done either way.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:59 AM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

If done by Champions sounds ok, only if you are interested in the pros of the investment and not worried by the warranty and possible resale issues.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

I'd pay more for a correctly modded car, without hesitation. Champion knows what they are doing, so no worries or issues for me. The 991 TTS is a tank!

Quick Reply: Fair price for modded car?