Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy
View Poll Results: Did or will you follow the factory break-in procedure for 2k miles?
Yes, all the way to 2,000 miles
45.00%
No, because I didn't think it was necessary
48.33%
No, because Porsche doesn't call for that in my country
6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Did you follow Porsche's break-in rules?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 02:10 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

Really interesting thread. I finally talked my buddy, and long time M guy, into buying a Porsche. I went with him to take delivery at Porsche HQ here in Atlanta on Friday of his 2018 Turbo. They said zero about a break-in period.... We drove it from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday and while we did not beat it up by any means, we certainly took it over 4K a few times! One heck of a ride BTW. He should be joining Rennlist later today so hopefully he will post some pics.

PS: the whole delivery at Porsche was first class all the way and a ton of fun. Highly recommend.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:29 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Did my first oil change at around 1K miles. Ran the car normally but never launched it during that time. However, I did redline it a few times when I was getting used to shifting it manually. Revs come up so fast with this car in low gear. Oil analysis looked fine. Plan to stick to the recommended 10K service interval at the dealership and maybe do my own oil changes in between if the car starts to sit too long in between the recommended service intervals. Oil changes on this car is super easy to do yourself.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:59 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

The following is a break-in technique that I got from 1999Porsche911 on the 997 Turbo board. He was very knowledgeable on past posts pertaining to car maintenance, CEL's and other engine issues, and knew more than I did. So I said what the heck
let me just go for it and break this baby in good. He guaranteed that your engine would not burn any oil and would be stronger than the average engine that didn't use a more aggressive break-in.
I had my first Turbo for 7 years and I never added oil to it once. I changed the oil about every 3000 miles and she ran like a champ. I then did a Softronic Tune. I expected to get some oil burn with this mod, but again nothing to add.

She ran great. I traded her in for my present 991.2 Turbo S. And as soon as the weather improves I will break this engine the same way. The following is a step by step technique that he recommended. Remember it's your car. Break it in the way
you feel the most comfortable. From my reading and research I just chose a more aggressive approach.

:Proper breakin must be done in the first 100 -200 miles and below is the proper procedure:

1. Always bring engine to FULL operating temperature before high revs.
2. Drive the car easy for the first 10 miles or so, varying the rpm's from 2,000 - 5,000.
3. Then, start bringing the engine up to maximum rpm's and letting the engine bring the revs back down by coasting in gear.
4. Repeat several times in order to create maximum heat in the cylinders.
5. Drive around at lower RPM's for several more miles, remembering to vary the speed of the engine every couple of miles.
6. Repeat number 3, 4 and 5.
7. Park car and let the engine cool down overnight.
8. Repeat all the above 2 more times.

Your engine is now fully broken in correctly and can be driven hard from here on.

The above procedure will also benefit engines that were not broken in properly. As with all engines, it is necessary to periodically drive the car to redline and engine brake back to stop to insure properly maintaining ring to cylinder wall fit.

PS. Hope this helps. Remember it's your car and you ultimately have to make the best decision.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Finally! I followed the book to the letter, but for two or three times when the pdk downshifted on me up to maybe 4500rpm. Had the oil changed recently in anticipation of the 2k mark. So nice to being driving it normally now. What a phenomenal car!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 PM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t have a Porsche yet, I’m hoping to have one very soon once I decide which model I want. I have had several high performance cars in the past and currently have some now. With each of them, I drive it hard from day one with no problems to the engine or other components. These are performance sport cars and are designed to be driven hard. Why wait until a certain mileage to really get on it when you are going to eventually go past a certain RPM and speed after 2k miles? At least that’s what I think.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:24 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I took two deliveries of Turbo S in the last 12 months (one at the factory and one in Canada) and both times service tech was giving me a guidance on maintenance and track use. Both times they told me just warm it up before revving high and not worry about anything else. I broke the first one in almost by the book, though - it just happened that I had a 2500-mile trip planned right after delivery. The second one - we'll see.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC PORSCHE
I don’t have a Porsche yet, I’m hoping to have one very soon once I decide which model I want. I have had several high performance cars in the past and currently have some now. With each of them, I drive it hard from day one with no problems to the engine or other components. These are performance sport cars and are designed to be driven hard. Why wait until a certain mileage to really get on it when you are going to eventually go past a certain RPM and speed after 2k miles? At least that’s what I think.
Porsche and every other manufacturer all have some very detailed break-in procedures for their cars. Why would they? Perhaps you should heed a little warning from the metallurgists and historians that work for these storied brands, and also remember that each car will have plenty of chapters after you are done with it, and history suggests you treat these special cars that way.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:52 AM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Porsche and every other manufacturer all have some very detailed break-in procedures for their cars. Why would they? Perhaps you should heed a little warning from the metallurgists and historians that work for these storied brands, and also remember that each car will have plenty of chapters after you are done with it, and history suggests you treat these special cars that way.
Everyone has different opinions I guess. That’s the way I drive all of my cars. After all, I am the one that’s paying for them. I buy cars with power and handling to use them for that exact reason. These Porsche’s along with other high performance cars like them are designed with the thought of driving hard. That’s what people do with them. If someone is looking to purchase a used car, they should at least think about the possiblity of the previous owner driving it hard on the street or track. That’s just my opinion of course.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:37 AM
Carjunky1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I followed the Porsche North America break-in rules. It was easy to follow because upon taking delivery I went on a 2000 mile trip that lasted about 8 days. Even after 23,000 miles the car is as tight and as smooth as day one. The OEM exhaust sound has improved but it still delivers a drone and is a little too quiet.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:58 PM
gled
Instructor

Went by the body shop the other day and there was a new TTS there with one side of the car scraped off from going in a ditch, no license plates on the car yet. I'm going to loosely follow break in for my benefit not the cars.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

For sure, approach the car with care. It has such high limits that if you go over them, you might find yourself in a ditch.

Quick Reply: Did you follow Porsche's break-in rules?