Sponsored by: Road Spy

Battery Tender Installs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Battery Tender Installs?

Anyone put a trickle charger / battery tender on their car yet to keep the battery charged when the car sits? Any pictures or tips? I have them on other cars so familiar in general, just curious if there's anything to know about putting them on a 991.2TTS. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2017, 03:25 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Nothing special.

I lift up the plastic cover under the frunk lid, attach the clips to the battery terminals, drap a FM towel over the fender for the cable, connect tender, lower plastic cover, latch (but not shut) frunk lid.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
Nothing special.

I lift up the plastic cover under the frunk lid, attach the clips to the battery terminals, drap a FM towel over the fender for the cable, connect tender, lower plastic cover, latch (but not shut) frunk lid.
Ah, so you leave the frunk open a bit and run the cord out that way? I was hoping to install the leads permanently and route the little connector up to the windshield area so I could more easily attach and detach the power cable without opening the frunk, etc. That's how I've done other cars, just not sure it'll work on this one till I get in there...
Old 12-02-2017, 05:38 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the CTEK comfort connect which connects directly to the battery that I use on other cars. Found here https://smartercharger.com/accessori...fort%20Connect

However, on the TTS and GT3 I simply use a cigarette style plug that plugs into the outlet in the passenger side foot well. Works great. My dealer actually recommended this option. https://smartercharger.com/products/...nect-cig-plug/

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

I have the CTEK MUS 4.3 I use a couple of the 2.5 meter connection extensions directly wired to the battery. This allow me to plug in the connection and not open the hood. The picture shows the second 2.5 meter extension which will plug directly into the CTEK charger.
You need to use 2 each of the 2.5 meter extension due to the short battery loom/connector wire. It really works well.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:46 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the CTEK and plug into cigarette lighter and run cord out bottom of door with it shut. 3+ years zero issues.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:18 AM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
I use the CTEK and plug into cigarette lighter and run cord out bottom of door with it shut. 3+ years zero issues.
I do the same, but have added an old piece of garden hose cut length wise that I feed the wire(s) through from the car to the charger which protects the wire(s) as they lay on the garage floor.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:21 PM
gled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to hook up ring connectors to the 6mm hardware on our GT3's battery, but nuts are captured on the bolts and wouldn't come off to slip ring connector on, so I made a spade to connect. I didn't want to butcher, but was disappointed I couldn't use the rings.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:30 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Ah, so you leave the frunk open a bit and run the cord out that way?
Yes.
I was hoping to install the leads permanently and route the little connector up to the windshield area so I could more easily attach and detach the power cable without opening the frunk, etc. That's how I've done other cars, just not sure it'll work on this one till I get in there...
- I don't want the cable permanently deforming the frunk lid weather seal.
- Having a connector dangling at the base of the windshield would drive me nuts.

I have run permanent tender connections on various cars in the past. I always use an existing hole (e.g. drain, vent) and secure the connector out of sight.

I haven't investigated this on the 981 and 991 because I hook up the tender once per year when they are stored for winter, so ROI for a perm connection is low.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:31 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by alevine
I have the CTEK comfort connect which connects directly to the battery that I use on other cars. Found here https://smartercharger.com/accessori...fort%20Connect

However, on the TTS and GT3 I simply use a cigarette style plug that plugs into the outlet in the passenger side foot well. Works great. My dealer actually recommended this option. https://smartercharger.com/products/...nect-cig-plug/

Hope this helps.
I have done the same on my 997 Turbo and will do the same for my 991 TTS. My battery never ran low. Used the tender all year.

Jay
Old 12-03-2017, 05:04 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plug mine into the power port inside the passenger compartment. This way when I get in it reminds me to unplug. Yes, when I had it connected direct to the battery I did forget to unplug once!
Old 12-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

For you guys who leave the frunk cracked open, does the light inside stay on?
Old 12-03-2017, 05:41 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
For you guys who leave the frunk cracked open, does the light inside stay on?
Nope.

All that stuff will time-out after a few minutes. You can leave all the lids and doors open if you want. Go back out to the car after a handful of minutes and everything's off. I do that all the time (except for the doors.)
Old 12-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
Nope.

All that stuff will time-out after a few minutes. You can leave all the lids and doors open if you want. Go back out to the car after a handful of minutes and everything's off. I do that all the time (except for the doors.)
Cool thanks. My car is getting paint protection film now so I haven't gotten to know it well yet.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:25 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I use the ctek 3300, I connected the quick connect directly to the battery, you can run the lead out by the wiper sprayer and keep it permanently installed, then you don’t have to open the trunk. The lead tucks in nice went not in use.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Installs?