Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Any reason not to upgrade intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 10:06 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 616 Posts
Default Any reason not to upgrade intercoolers?

I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks from upgraded intercoolers - e.g., worse throttle response due to more air volume inside the intercooler or anything else. I'm new to turbo cars, so trying to get educated before I pull the trigger. Already decided on exhaust, though - the car is quieter than my Cayenne TT...
Old 11-30-2017, 12:22 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put larger coolers on my 650IX...a little more response with a quicker top end feel on each gear.
Dynoed a 501 hp wheels with just a tune and Dinan coolers.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:52 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

HI,

Do your research on this before you buy, there a lot of options out there, but just a few that will really yield results and lower IAT's. At the end just call Sam, and save yourself some headaches.

Regards,

Manuel
Old 11-30-2017, 08:28 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOSTED TTS
HI,

Do your research on this before you buy, there a lot of options out there, but just a few that will really yield results and lower IAT's. At the end just call Sam, and save yourself some headaches.

Regards,

Manuel
I'm in touch with Sam, and he's been very helpful so far. I'm just looking for more fundamental understanding of intercooler compromises if any. For example, with other mods, it's pretty clear - e.g., bigger turbo -> bigger lag (all else being equal), less restriction in exhaust -> more noise (good or bad), more aero -> worse top speed, fuel economy and street drivability; and so on. Where is the trade-off for intercoolers if any?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:53 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 999 Likes on 601 Posts

Hi guys. With our design you will only experience benefits guaranteed. In flow, IAT, recovery and over-all response. Some cause too much pressure drop or even reduced anti-lad pressure. With our billet end tank and coupler design we do not get this. e also have a new 5.2 inch design which may cross that edge for very high hp cars. Out 4.5's are the most widely used and tested up to 1000hp. Quite proud of my teams work. On the factory backed 991TTS that David Donahue ran up Pike's Peak he really loved the over-all feel even coming from pure race cars!

My lines are always open!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Quick Reply: Any reason not to upgrade intercoolers?