Sponsored by: Road Spy

Getting new car home without rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
You will never get to enjoy the full potential of the 911 TTS if you are obsessive about paint chips and dings.
These cars are meant to be tracked, drive it like you stoled it, at least once in awhile!
Now that the car is fully covered in 3M film, I do plan to drive it!

On side note, when someone steals a car, I would think it's in his or her best interest to drive inconspicuously and obey traffic laws, to avoid getting pulled over and caught. But maybe that's too rational for car thieves...
Old 01-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but what film product do most of you prefer?

-TJ
Old 01-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Not to hijack the thread, but what film product do most of you prefer?

-TJ
Our local film guru swears by the 3M stuff. It's thicker and harder to install, but is self-healing, totally invisible when installed, and offers good protection. But honestly I'd find the best installer available to you, and go with whatever he or she is most comfortable using. The overall job is way more dependent on the skill and care of the installer than the quality of the film, assuming you're using one of the well-known films... This car took over three weeks to do, as the installer worked tirelessly to do virtually all panels without seams, etc. As a result, you have to really look to find evidence of the film, mostly under edges and so-forth. It's a night and day difference from some of the pre-cut kits installed in a day or two...
Old 01-08-2018, 08:25 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, looks nice. If you don't mind asking, how much did that cost you?

-TJ
Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Wow, looks nice. If you don't mind asking, how much did that cost you?

-TJ
I'll send you a PM -- it's complicated.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 AM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
You will never get to enjoy the full potential of the 911 TTS if you are obsessive about paint chips and dings.
These cars are meant to be tracked, drive it like you stoled it, at least once in awhile!
Hey Karl, agree but I don't like marks even in the clear bra. Ive done 3/4 wrap on both the TTS and GT3 and then before a track or airstrip event I Trakktape the sensitive areas behind the wheels and in front of the rear wheels. Doesn't take long to do and a must for OCD people like myself.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:55 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

I think im in the minority here - i HATE clear Wrap on cars. I for one am not wrapping my Turbo when it arrives.

The cost of the wrap is too high. I'd rather pay to have the bumper painted once in a while. I am going to drive the crap out of my car and I can't wait.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg
I am going to drive the crap out of my car and I can't wait.
That's what I did with every Porsche I've ever had, including number 7, my current 2015 TTS, and it's exactly what i'm gonna do with the new one as well come May.
The avatar to the left is the 15TTS ripping up Pocono (or ripping it up as best as I'm capable of ripping it up).
Drive it, track it, push it, love it.
You live once.
I know it's common, but I never understood the "buy it to baby it" school of thought when it comes to these cars.
And whew, at least I know I still have at least one friend here in the Turbo forum....
Old 01-15-2018, 09:42 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
That's what I did with every Porsche I've ever had, including number 7, my current 2015 TTS, and it's exactly what i'm gonna do with the new one as well come May.
The avatar to the left is the 15TTS ripping up Pocono (or ripping it up as best as I'm capable of ripping it up).
Drive it, track it, push it, love it.
You live once.
I know it's common, but I never understood the "buy it to baby it" school of thought when it comes to these cars.
And whew, at least I know I still have at least one friend here in the Turbo forum....

LOL. I had my Corvette Z06 for 5 months - It was destroyed - Both 1/4s were full of rock chips and my front bumper had tons of rash - the one Rim had a small scuff on it and my kid scrapped his bike along the drivers side.
When I traded it I got full value - I washed it once in 5 months lol.

The 911 will be a bit different I'm sure but not way am I going to be afraid to get a stone chip or two. I'm going to test the limits of the car
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg
LOL.

The 911 will be a bit different I'm sure but no way am I going to be afraid to get a stone chip or two. I'm going to test the limits of the car
My man, pots and pans....
Track that bad boy. Track it like ya stole it!!

Quick Reply: Getting new car home without rock chips