Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

2018 New Turbo vs CPO 2017 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not looked at the financials you've called out, but I will offer my two cents on 2017 vs 2018.

If they are both 991.2's, then there is no differences with the new model year that I'm aware.

Both the TT and TTS are fantastic cars. As I understand it, the TTS turbos are physicality different than the TT (not just tuning) which really helps set them apart.

It also has some standard features which are options in the TT, like the PCCB brakes as an example. I can say, these are fantastic. Having no brake dust making your wheels look dirty is a beautiful thing!

Assuming these are both 991.2 , I think you will be kicking yourself if you get the TT only to have a newer model year . . . You will be the only one that will know. You'll also hate pulling up next to a TTS and potential regretting not having chosen it.

This feedback is assuming you are happy with the financials and the options are similar enough you won't have any regrets.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
I've not looked at the financials you've called out, but I will offer my two cents on 2017 vs 2018.

If they are both 991.2's, then there is no differences with the new model year that I'm aware.

Both the TT and TTS are fantastic cars. As I understand it, the TTS turbos are physicality different than the TT (not just tuning) which really helps set them apart.

It also has some standard features which are options in the TT, like the PCCB brakes as an example. I can say, these are fantastic. Having no brake dust making your wheels look dirty is a beautiful thing!

Assuming these are both 991.2 , I think you will be kicking yourself if you get the TT only to have a newer model year . . . You will be the only one that will know. You'll also hate pulling up next to a TTS and potential regretting not having chosen it.

This feedback is assuming you are happy with the financials and the options are similar enough you won't have any regrets.
I'm still learning about the two but can you elaborate on the "physical" differences between the two? The two distinct differences that I've noticed so far are: 1) yellow vs. red brake calipers. 2) centerlock wheels (std on TTS) vs. turbo wheels. Oh, of course the "S" badging.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:47 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I'm still learning about the two but can you elaborate on the "physical" differences between the two? The two distinct differences that I've noticed so far are: 1) yellow vs. red brake calipers. 2) centerlock wheels (std on TTS) vs. turbo wheels. Oh, of course the "S" badging.
We had a similar discussion on 6speed a while back:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...fferences.html
Old 11-12-2017, 11:02 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
As for the 40hp, my personal opinion is anyone that really wants to have more power in a modern 911 turbo can just look to the aftermarket for a full exhaust system, larger turbos, and an ECU reflash. The different ECU boost targets are where most of the power difference is anyway. Not everyone is comfortable with or cares enough to go that route though, so the factory will give you the TTS with a bit more performance for more money.
That was my reasoning for going 2014 TTS and saving a huge amount. The differences between the 2014 and a 2017/2018 is easily made up (and exceeded) with mods that cost only a marginal amount of the money saved on the purchase.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:40 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My suggestion is, if you are spending this amount of money, you should spec everything by yourself. Or if the TTs is your spec, then save the money for exhaust.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

I think it depends on what you want out of the car. If you are enamored of the "S" badge, you will never be satisfied with the non S. If you are looking at performance then the cars are incredibly close, within 1/10 of acceleration by most objective accounts. If you want that 205 or so top speed of the S vs the measly 199 of the TT, you won't be satisfied either.
In my case I had never had a Turbo. I was/am waiting for a .2 GT3 allocation. I like to track, AutoX, and take weekend drives. Not a daily driver. I traded my 15 GT3 for a TT. I specifically did not want a sunroof, C/L wheels, love the look of the sport classics, or ceramic brakes. That said I just couldn't see spending 20K more for an S that I would end up buying steel rotors for the track, delete the sunroof, and the C/L wheels. In the real worlds 40hp isn't going to be much, if any, of a game changer on the track or at the AutoX. That said, I love my new TT and am fascinated by the torque and all wheel drive and still took FTOD at a recent AutoX. Right now I wouldn't change it if my GT3 allocation came due, and I certainly have not experienced "S" envy.
That said, in the OP's case if you have to ask about the "S" then get the "S", or you will never be satisfied.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Excellence Magazine tech review on the '17 & up Turbo/S

Last edited by Hothonda; 11-13-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:44 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
I think it depends on what you want out of the car. If you are enamored of the "S" badge, you will never be satisfied with the non S. If you are looking at performance then the cars are incredibly close, within 1/10 of acceleration by most objective accounts. If you want that 205 or so top speed of the S vs the measly 199 of the TT, you won't be satisfied either.
In my case I had never had a Turbo. I was/am waiting for a .2 GT3 allocation. I like to track, AutoX, and take weekend drives. Not a daily driver. I traded my 15 GT3 for a TT. I specifically did not want a sunroof, C/L wheels, love the look of the sport classics, or ceramic brakes. That said I just couldn't see spending 20K more for an S that I would end up buying steel rotors for the track, delete the sunroof, and the C/L wheels. In the real worlds 40hp isn't going to be much, if any, of a game changer on the track or at the AutoX. That said, I love my new TT and am fascinated by the torque and all wheel drive and still took FTOD at a recent AutoX. Right now I wouldn't change it if my GT3 allocation came due, and I certainly have not experienced "S" envy.
That said, in the OP's case if you have to ask about the "S" then get the "S", or you will never be satisfied.
Ha ha, that right there is a funny and a useful post. Thanks KBS. "S" envy... We live in the land of the badge and I've lost my ego years ago. To the OP, get what your heart desires because you can't take it with you.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless there is something wrong with the spec, I would take the Turbo S.

If what I want is a Turbo S, and ended up in a Turbo......
I'd be thinking about the TTS all the time. Saving few $$ or having some minor options in the TT won't ease my regret.
Like others said, get what you want.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:47 PM
carnut52
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

About 18 months I wanted a TTS but settled for a TT because it was close to what I wanted and available. I bought it and sold it 2 months later. Regretted not getting the TTS. I bought a 2017 new TTS and owned it 10 months and sold it. I regretted that decision about a week later. Waited 6 months and bought a 991.2 GT3 3 weeks ago. Very different car and found that it isn't a daily driver with the LWB seats. Found a 2017 TTS 3 weeks old with 200 miles on it (bought by an older gentleman who traded it for a MB because it was too much car). $25K off MSRP and I bought it. All this to say buy the TTS. The best car for the money and the most enjoyable to drive. I went through my dealer to check on 2018 TTS but was told there are only 8-10 cars coming into the country for 2018 and they didn't have an allocation.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Gjon777
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by carnut52
About 18 months I wanted a TTS but settled for a TT because it was close to what I wanted and available. I bought it and sold it 2 months later. Regretted not getting the TTS. I bought a 2017 new TTS and owned it 10 months and sold it. I regretted that decision about a week later. Waited 6 months and bought a 991.2 GT3 3 weeks ago. Very different car and found that it isn't a daily driver with the LWB seats. Found a 2017 TTS 3 weeks old with 200 miles on it (bought by an older gentleman who traded it for a MB because it was too much car). $25K off MSRP and I bought it. All this to say buy the TTS. The best car for the money and the most enjoyable to drive. I went through my dealer to check on 2018 TTS but was told there are only 8-10 cars coming into the country for 2018 and they didn't have an allocation.

I was told that about 8 TTS allocation for the USA for the 1st quarter of 2018. 2nd quarter there should be more allocations.

why did you regret buying the first 2017 TTS?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:27 PM
carnut52
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Didn't regret buying it but selling it
Old 11-17-2017, 02:40 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the 17TTS as well.

Besides all the reasons everyone else said i didnt see anyone mention it but i would add its nice to have the extra 2yr\50k mile warranty since CPO
Old 11-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The great thing about TTS is that most major options are standard, so almost all cars have the same basic build with a few minor variances.

Get the TTS. But please get a good deal. There are so many out there right now for under $185 if you look at CarGurus.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Gjon777
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile

Well it was a tough decision. Today I placed my order for a new 2018 Turbo. I came close to buying the CPO 2017 TTS and would've gotten quite a deal on a slightly used 2017 TTS, but in the end it was missing a few options that I wanted, and I really wanted to go through the process of ordering new from the factory to my exact specifications. Also, if I bought the CPO TTS, it would be sitting in my garage for 4-5 months while the snow blankets us. Expected delivery is 4/20/18.

here is my code
PJ7SXXW2

thanks for your comments and help

Last edited by Gjon777; 12-19-2017 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: 2018 New Turbo vs CPO 2017 Turbo S