Sponsored by: Road Spy

2018 New Turbo vs CPO 2017 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 02:46 AM
Gjon777
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 21 Posts
Post 2018 New Turbo vs CPO 2017 Turbo S

I am a former owner of a 2009 Targa 4s. I bought it new and sold it 6 years later. I am currently in the market for a TT or TTS.
After looking for used vehicle I decided to buy new 2017 and hard a hard time finding exactly what I wanted but came close a few times. Therefore, I decided to build my own and wait for a 2018 especially since winter was coming and I normally store my Porsche for the winter. I found a local dealer with an allocation to get me a 2018 Turbo in Paint to Sample or Carmine Red, but couldn't guarantee me a Turbo S allocation. I can get a January or February build with a significant discount with a late winter or early spring delivery. The discount would help to almost cover the first year depreciation.
I now have found 2017 CPO Turbo S in Carmine Red with most of what i was looking for at 13.5% off of MSRP and about 2400 miles. They already went down about $8K from the initial list price. However, if I bought it now, I would basically store it for most of the winter. At least I could still stare at it all winter long.
So my dilemma is do I wait for a couple months and take delivery of a brand new 2018 custom ordered Turbo with a discount and all of the options I want for a build price of about $190 or buy the 2017 CPO Turbo S in my second choice of a color with most of the options I wanted, but store it for 4 months for only about $7K more than the 2018 Turbo.
I offered them the same price that I would pay for my 2018 Turbo build, and they did not even counter my offer and already said that they couldn't do it because they already lowered the price by $8K and it cost them more than what I offered to buy and certify the car and they already gave me their best price. I might be able to squeeze another $1K out of it or some freebies but would still have to have it delivered or I would have to drive it home for about 12-13 hours.
Either way I would be happy but it is still a tough decision.
PS if i decided to add the PDCC to my Turbo build it would cost a little over $193K, don't know if PDCC is worth it in a Turbo?

Your thought are welcome!

Last edited by Gjon777; 11-12-2017 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo and missed a letter
Old 11-12-2017, 09:19 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Get the 18.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 174 Posts

Unless I'm mistaken, are you saying the 2017 TTS is $197k for a used CPO car? What was MSRP? Either way, TTS is the way to go over TT every time IMHO.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,332 Likes on 751 Posts

If the ‘18 is a better value wait for your own build. I am a CPO fan but the reason to do it is value. When I was shopping I had 2 CPO’s to pick from. One was quite a bit higher, 2015 car. When I looked the the build it was a $226k car and the owner traded for a new one and dealership was trying to unload the old one at close to a new build price.
Wait for the new one, this way you won’t have to walk by it all covered up in the garage during the winter.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Getting exactly what you want, cheaper and newer....order the 18.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

such a personal choice, but I would ignore the price difference and go with the car you really want, you will soon forget what you paid and be left with only the car
Old 11-12-2017, 02:14 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

My feeling is that you really want a 2018 TTS at best price. My suggestion would be to see if you can get an allocation for a 2018 TTS, get your best discount and go from there. I have to agree with Randy when ever given an opportunity go with the "S" over the non "S".

Remember, either way winter is still coming. Patience is still the best virtue with the best outcome.

Jay
Old 11-12-2017, 02:17 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

TTS over TT...
Old 11-12-2017, 02:23 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Gjon777
I am a former owner of a 2009 Targa 4s. I bought it new and sold it 6 years later. I am currently in the market for a TT or TTS.
After looking for used vehicle I decided to buy new 2017 and hard a hard time finding exactly what I wanted but came close a few times. Therefore, I decided to build my own and wait for a 2018 especially since winter was coming and I normally store my Porsche for the winter. I found a local dealer with an allocation to get me a 2018 Turbo in Paint to Sample or Carmine Red, but couldn't guarantee me a Turbo S allocation. I can get a January or February build with a significant discount with a late winter or early spring delivery. The discount would help to almost cover the first year depreciation.
I now have found 2017 CPO Turbo S in Carmine Red with most of what i was looking for at 23.5% off of MSRP and about 2400 miles. They already went down about $8K from the initial list price. However, if I bought it now, I would basically store it for most of the winter. At least I could still stare at it all winter long.
So my dilemma is do I wait for a couple months and take delivery of a brand new 2018 custom ordered Turbo with a discount and all of the options I want for a build price of about $190 or buy the 2017 CPO Turbo S in my second choice of a color with most of the options I wanted, but store it for 4 months for only about $7K more than the 2018 Turbo.
I offered them the same price that I would pay for my 2018 Turbo build, and they did not even counter my offer and already said that they couldn't do it because they already lowered the price by $8K and it cost them more than what I offered to buy and certify the car and they already gave me their best price. I might be able to squeeze another $1K out of it or some freebies but would still have to have it delivered or I would have to drive it home for about 12-13 hours.
Either way I would be happy but it is still a tough decision.
PS if i decided to add the PDCC to my Turbo build it would cost a little over $193K, don't know if PDCC is worth it in a Turbo?

Your thought are welcome!
Get the Turbo S
Old 11-12-2017, 02:26 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

I don't mean to turn this into a S vs. non-S discussion but for a lurker like myself, could you explain the reason for choosing the S model solely based on performance (HP/torque)? I understand that you get more standard features on the the S model. Does 40hp/? torque make that big of a difference in performance?
Old 11-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Gjon777
Instructor

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Unless I'm mistaken, are you saying the 2017 TTS is $197k for a used CPO car? What was MSRP? Either way, TTS is the way to go over TT every time IMHO.
TTS= 2017 CPO TTS sticker price $210K and on sale for $184K with 2400 miles and 4 months in the garage for winter

TT= 2018 TT of my own build would be delivered in March or April with a sticker of $190 but at a 7% discount of MSRP

if this clears things up

thanks

Last edited by Gjon777; 11-12-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo and missed a letter
Old 11-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Gjon777
Instructor

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I don't mean to turn this into a S vs. non-S discussion but for a lurker like myself, could you explain the reason for choosing the S model solely based on performance (HP/torque)? I understand that you get more standard features on the the S model. Does 40hp/? torque make that big of a difference in performance?
That is my question. Is the extra features and 40hp worth the fact that the TTS is a year older but getting a first year depreciation discount worth it, or should i go with a brand new 2018 with a discount built in.
The TTS comes with some extras like the ceramic breaks and carbon fiber trim 18 way seats and the PDCC as well as the extra HP and the big "S" that porsche fans would recognize as being special!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:01 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
A 2017 TT and a 2016 TTS offer very similar performance. I suspect in most scenarios the antilag is more of an advantage than the 20 hp of the .1 TTS.

In the 0-60 time, the difference between a 991.2 TT and TTS is below 0.1 seconds as the traction and launch dominate that statistic and the bit of extra boost coming in late doesn't do much. Tires can make more difference as they help the launch. At higher speeds (after reaching full boost and carrying it for more than a moment) the 580hp is about seven percent more than 540 so it will tug you back in the seat just a bit harder.

Besides that 40 hp, pretty much everything else can be optioned into the TT if desired. That said, if you genuinely want all of the bigger ticket options, the TTS offers a better value. I didn't want to pay to get CCBs or centerlock wheels so I optioned some of the other things in (seats, PDCC) and saved some money.

As for the 40hp, my personal opinion is anyone that really wants to have more power in a modern 911 turbo can just look to the aftermarket for a full exhaust system, larger turbos, and an ECU reflash. The different ECU boost targets are where most of the power difference is anyway. Not everyone is comfortable with or cares enough to go that route though, so the factory will give you the TTS with a bit more performance for more money.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:23 PM
mmcmilla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2018 TTS is on the boat and about 4-5 days from port in California. My salesman told me last week that 2018 TTS cars are very difficult to get now. I ordered mine about 3-4 months ago. He said his dealership could no longer get any 2018 TTSs. I'm feeling lucky, and of course, happy for myself that production seems to be somewhat limited, which keeps values up. Sorry to those who hoped to get one but now find it difficult or impossible.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
A 2017 TT and a 2016 TTS offer very similar performance. I suspect in most scenarios the antilag is more of an advantage than the 20 hp of the .1 TTS.

In the 0-60 time, the difference between a 991.2 TT and TTS is below 0.1 seconds as the traction and launch dominate that statistic and the bit of extra boost coming in late doesn't do much. Tires can make more difference as they help the launch. At higher speeds (after reaching full boost and carrying it for more than a moment) the 580hp is about seven percent more than 540 so it will tug you back in the seat just a bit harder.

Besides that 40 hp, pretty much everything else can be optioned into the TT if desired. That said, if you genuinely want all of the bigger ticket options, the TTS offers a better value. I didn't want to pay to get CCBs or centerlock wheels so I optioned some of the other things in (seats, PDCC) and saved some money.

As for the 40hp, my personal opinion is anyone that really wants to have more power in a modern 911 turbo can just look to the aftermarket for a full exhaust system, larger turbos, and an ECU reflash. The different ECU boost targets are where most of the power difference is anyway. Not everyone is comfortable with or cares enough to go that route though, so the factory will give you the TTS with a bit more performance for more money.
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 2018 New Turbo vs CPO 2017 Turbo S