Sponsored by: Road Spy

Anyone waiting for their Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Valuable insights? Well, I haven't got on it yet, so this is a limited view. But... all I can tell you is that it is living up to the hype so far. The whole car is just so effortless. Don't laugh but it reminds me of the last generation twin turbo RX7 -- it had a similar feel, albeit with less of everything, but they both made you feel like a way better driver than you are, all while being a pleasure to drive. I'm quite confident I'll never be able to use this cars limits on a track. Interior isn't too shabby either.

Lots of electronics to set up while the weather is down -- Homelink for the garage door, memory settings, personalized I-mode, blue tooth, etc. Good time for PPF too

My only potential knock is the "symposer" thing that vents extra noise in the cabin in sport mode. At least it's not fake engine noise on speakers, but it doesn't really help the sound cruising around town. It's more of a drone. Maybe once I floor it, I'll like it more, so I'm holding off disabling it. I find myself wanting sport mode for the more aggressive/normal shift points, but going back to normal to kill the drone. Normal mode seems programmed for MPG and emissions, so seems to put the rpms way lower than feels comfy to me. More often than not I end up in normal mode but with the PDK set to manual -- they I can pick gears myself without the drone. I may be wrong, but I couldn't find way to get the gearing without the noise in I-mode.

Another thing that surprised me is that normal mode defaults to shutting off the engine at stop lights (more MPG/emissions stuff), unless you turn that off manually. You can override that in I-mode however, and it doesn't default to that in sport mode.
Thanks for the preliminary write up. Enjoy.

Jay
Old 01-13-2018, 09:19 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

FYI, these TTS's drive great in the northeast winter. Rain, snow, sleet, freezing drizzle. all of it.
Had my 15 for almost 3 years, and have 33,000 miles on it.
Regardless of weather, I drive it.
4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering negates any bad weather, and the clear bra negates any road salt as long a I keep the car clean.
You can do whatever you want with your car, but don't you wanna drive it as much as possible? I do, and I do.
When the new one comes in May, I will be doing that same thing. It's an amazing machine. Why keep it in the garage?
Just my opinion and no offense intended to anyone. Amazing cars, cars that were meant to be driven. I track mine as well. A high like no other.
The Turbo S was designed and built to be driven, so drive them.
That being said, in no way am I telling anyone to do anything with their cars that they don't want to do.
(Did I just lose all my Turbo forum friends?)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:20 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
FYI, these TTS's drive great in the northeast winter. Rain, snow, sleet, freezing drizzle. all of it.
Had my 15 for almost 3 years, and have 33,000 miles on it.
Regardless of weather, I drive it.
4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering negates any bad weather, and the clear bra negates any road salt as long a I keep the car clean.
You can do whatever you want with your car, but don't you wanna drive it as much as possible? I do, and I do.
When the new one comes in May, I will be doing that same thing. It's an amazing machine. Why keep it in the garage?
Just my opinion and no offense intended to anyone. Amazing cars, cars that were meant to be driven. I track mine as well. A high like no other.
The Turbo S was designed and built to be driven, so drive them.
That being said, in no way am I telling anyone to do anything with their cars that they don't want to do.
(Did I just lose all my Turbo forum friends?)
Hey I grew up in South Jersey, and the weather isn't the same there as it is here in New England. Not only do we have to contend with salt, and sand, but they now spray this white chemical treatment
on the roads that leaves a "chalky appearance" all over your car. It can't be good for the paint nor for the rest of the car. So we need another good rain with some sunny skies to get out there.
We just have to be patient. Trust me I would love to get out this morning but it's very icy and not worth the risk.

Jay
Old 01-14-2018, 03:36 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ23
Hey I grew up in South Jersey, and the weather isn't the same there as it is here in New England. Not only do we have to contend with salt, and sand, but they now spray this white chemical treatment
on the roads that leaves a "chalky appearance" all over your car. It can't be good for the paint nor for the rest of the car. So we need another good rain with some sunny skies to get out there.
We just have to be patient. Trust me I would love to get out this morning but it's very icy and not worth the risk.

Jay
Oh, I totally agree, but "icy" and "salt on the roads" are not the same thing.
In no way did I suggest you drive this car on ice. (Unless you are doing a winter car control clinic).
Snow? Maybe. Slush, yes. The car handles great in winter weather, excluding ice or black ice.
That (ice) brings safety into the equation, and of course you should not take safety lightly.
I guess I misunderstood what you guys meant. My bad.

I was referring to the rain, dirt, salt, slush, etc. (Things that would get the car "dirty".)
A beautiful shiny car is only a wash away.
Sorry if I misunderstood what you guys were talking about.
Ice? Of course not!!
My bad.
Point was that these cars should be driven, not polished. That's my opinion, and only an opinion.
I'm sure there are many folks that only take these cars out on sunny, dry, and warm days. I know a few of those folks. To me, that's a shame. But that's just me.

Your car, your call....
Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Please continue to feel for us.
Don't know if this helps or hurts. I didn't think I got any pictures, but found this one, taken as I drove, and actually think it captures the spirit of the day nicely. California coastline in January in a bright red Porsche -- come one!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:34 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Don't know if this helps or hurts. I didn't think I got any pictures, but found this one, taken as I drove, and actually think it captures the spirit of the day nicely. California coastline in January in a bright red Porsche -- come one!

Painful is the word.

Jay
Old 01-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Well, it's supposed to sprinkle tomorrow, so there's that...
Old 03-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Gjon777
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

My Turbo is officially waiting at Port in Emden Germany. The Planned departure date has been pushed back from March 30th to April 13th. I will have to see what this means for my delivery date. Likely early May instead of late April. Can’t wait to see it and better yet drive it! It will likely have to wait until after I come back from vacation
I’m thinking about getting a clear bra installed on the whole car instead of just the front end and hood any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:34 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gjon777
My Turbo is officially waiting at Port in Emden Germany. The Planned departure date has been pushed back from March 30th to April 13th. I will have to see what this means for my delivery date. Likely early May instead of late April. Can’t wait to see it and better yet drive it! It will likely have to wait until after I come back from vacation
I’m thinking about getting a clear bra installed on the whole car instead of just the front end and hood any thoughts?
Congrats. Great news indeed.
My new TTS Cab will be on the boat 2 weeks behind yours. Emden Port.
My guy tells me I should be driving it mid to late May.
I am going to clear bra my entire car. I plan to keep it for a lot of years (read: buy out the lease at residual value).
Old 03-27-2018, 11:32 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gjon777
Hey it won't be long. It takes about 7 days at sea, depending on weather. Once at the dock, you get cleared by customs, find that delivery truck and the rest is history. Keep us posted.

Jay
Old 03-30-2018, 02:18 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

V300 as of March 12th. No word yet on when it'll be on the boat though.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:10 PM
gled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not waiting anymore.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:50 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Looks like Carmine Red. Enjoy and Congratulations. Drive her well. Where do you live? Is the weather clear where you live?

We had 4 inches again here in CT this morning, but all has melted by the afternoon. Just not letting up this year.

Jay
Old 04-17-2018, 10:24 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Left port on April 6th on the Bosporus Highway.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:18 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uzj100
Left port on April 6th on the Bosporus Highway.
If you were like me, I tracked the boat every night I came home from work. Then there was a delay because Thanksgiving was coming and the dock workers had off for the Holiday. But to no avail she arrived two weeks before Christmas.

Keep us posted. It's truly an exciting time.

Jay

Quick Reply: Anyone waiting for their Car?