Sponsored by: Road Spy

Which exhaust (specific preferences)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:41 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Headers don't affect that at all. They are good for about 10 to 12 hp if designed properly but the biggest thing about them is getting an equal length tubular set up to help with better pressure temperature control on the VTG turbine. Also it really makes the car sound much better. Very noticeable!

Next you will want to good catalytic converter and a good exhaust that will not drone even on a cabriolet. Then you should be able to have your cake and eat it too!Let me know if I can help I can stand behind it 100% to make sure your anxiety free and good to go!
When listening to exhaust videos online, I noticed that equal length sounded much nicer to my ear. Is there a reason Porsche did not go with equal-length headers, to begin with? Or in other words, is there a catch in going with equal-length? And what are the benefits, besides sound?
Old 10-15-2017, 03:15 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 918 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
When listening to exhaust videos online, I noticed that equal length sounded much nicer to my ear. Is there a reason Porsche did not go with equal-length headers, to begin with? Or in other words, is there a catch in going with equal-length? And what are the benefits, besides sound?
That's a good and fair question. There's a lot of reasons but I would guess the most obvious would be cost-effectiveness for mass production and also things like heat retention for stock set up's, clearance to the ground and like I said so many others. Once the cars start to get upgraded even with a simple tune we don't want that much heat or pressure in the manifolds. You do see the same thing from manufacturers as you get into race cars or higher end versions of streetcars. You won't find such an ugly manifold on a 918 for example. We have sold hundreds and they are on almost every one of the 120+ By Design Stage 4 cars we have out there. Working wonderfully and flawlessly and without failure. We also have good results and feedback along with Porsche on the Pike's Peak Hillclimb car which ran these manifolds. Feel free to reach out for more details. The end result is just better in every way and they are beautifully handmade!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 10-15-2017, 06:51 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Jason
Hey MaxLTV! I'd say your list of requirements for your exhaust is certainly a tall order... but I know I can deliver at least 3 out of 4 points for you with our Valvetronic Supersport X-Pipe Exhaust System!

-- 'Quiet as OEM below ~3k' - This X-Pipe setup is Valvetronic and either works with the onboard PSE or comes with our Valvetronic Controller Kit to give you dual exhaust tone function. Valves closed this is a very streetable system just above the stock volume but with an improved sportier tone
-- 'Angry Porsche Sound' - This is our specialty! With valves open this exhaust system is pure Porsche Heaven on WOT.
-- 'Pops on overrun' - By eliminating the restrictive factory cats and replacing them with our signature HJS 200-cell high-flow Sport Cats, more unspent fuel is allowed into the exhaust and you'll get an intoxicating chorus of burbles and crackles on decels and downshifts.
-- 'optional ability to shoot flames' - In order to achieve this, you'd have to go with a full catless system and then there's no guarantee you would shoot flames. Plus, who wants a car that could catch on fire anyway? I'd say you'll be so satisfied with the above three points that you won't mind not being able to 'occassionally shoot fireballs'.

Check out this video of our system in action, I think you're going to like what you hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmOgGSjd5Y

I'll shoot over a PM so we can chat. Cheers!
My fabspeed catless setup shoots flames like crazy
And i noticed it shoots more/bigger flame when using pure gas, less with E10
Old 10-16-2017, 12:41 AM
Poppahay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get a one piece if you can

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Europipe w/ 100 cell sport cats works great on my .2 TTS cabriolet!
For structural rigidity get a one piece unit. It will last longer and be tougher in general. Usually a sign of better construction. The Europipe is one piece but there are others.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by js9527
My fabspeed catless setup shoots flames like crazy
And i noticed it shoots more/bigger flame when using pure gas, less with E10
Well let's see it!!! Video??

Old 10-16-2017, 09:33 PM
zxt
Track Day

installed a europipe exhaust and bmc air filter a couple of months ago. the sound of the exhaust was perfect, deep rumble with louder spooling sound from the turbo. now i want every thing to be louder though. how do i achieve that without replacing the europipe and not getting a cel? don't mean to hijack the thread but didn't want to start a new one.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:21 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by zxt
installed a europipe exhaust and bmc air filter a couple of months ago. the sound of the exhaust was perfect, deep rumble with louder spooling sound from the turbo. now i want every thing to be louder though. how do i achieve that without replacing the europipe and not getting a cel? don't mean to hijack the thread but didn't want to start a new one.
If you have cats, you can remove them, that should help get you “louder” and a Cobb will help get rid of the cel ;-)

Manuel
Old 10-17-2017, 01:16 AM
Poppahay
Intermediate

ZXT, sell the Europipe, it will be very easy to get rid of it, and buy a stage 2 europipe. You’ll get a louder exhaust note and you won’t get any codes.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:36 AM
zxt
Track Day

Originally Posted by BOOSTED TTS
If you have cats, you can remove them, that should help get you “louder” and a Cobb will help get rid of the cel ;-)

Manuel
i don't really want to get a tune.

Originally Posted by Poppahay
ZXT, sell the Europipe, it will be very easy to get rid of it, and buy a stage 2 europipe. You’ll get a louder exhaust note and you won’t get any codes.
i live in the philippines so it will be hard to sell the current exhaust i have since there aren't many 991.2 TTS here yet. Plus most people here which replaces their stock exhaust want it to be really loud, which i don't want, i just want it to be a bit louder than it currently is.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:34 AM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you guys know if the car passes inspection with the 100 cats? I know it will with the 200 cell but I am not sure with the 100 cell.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kouzman
Do you guys know if the car passes inspection with the 100 cats? I know it will with the 200 cell but I am not sure with the 100 cell.
Do they use a sniffer? I’ve heard both ways on the 100 cell so it seems to depend. In my state and county no CEL = pass. Some of the rural counties here don’t require an emissions test.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppahay
There is no stage 1 and 2 for the new 991.1 and .2 Turbos
Europipe only comes with 100 cell sport cat.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Do they use a sniffer? I’ve heard both ways on the 100 cell so it seems to depend. In my state and county no CEL = pass. Some of the rural counties here don’t require an emissions test.
The NYS inspection does not include a sniffer test. Sometimes I have heard of optical inspection along with the obd-ii test but I have not experienced it myself.

If there is no cell and all the monitors are in ok status the car passes. My questions is, will the 100 cell cats stop the cell being triggered?

I would prefer to stay with a cat, but the least restrictive kind, thus the question on the 100 cell in stead of the 200.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Poppahay
Intermediate

1gunner your right. There aren’t any stage 1 or 2 options with Europipe on the 991 My Bad. The Kline would be a good option if they offer something louder. They make a really well made unit.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:58 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Kline also offers 3" straight pipes that are not for the faint of heart...I am so close to getting a set of these!

Quick Reply: Which exhaust (specific preferences)