Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I'm trying to get the right exhaust for my (now 2018) Turbo S. I know there has been many discussions and I've read many of them, but I have not gotten a clear answer to what combination will get me the result closest to what I want. I like OEM sound but I do not like how it does not get louder with revs. It kills the sense of acceleration and feels unnatural in general.

Here is what I want:

- Quiet as OEM or very slightly louder below ~3K RPM and partial throttle
- Angry Porsche sound above 3K RPM at partial or full throttle, something like 65% GT3 and 35% AMG E63S
- Pops on overrun but not shotgun-like or backfires as some exhaust do, but rather softer burble-pops, like stock but slighly louder.
- (Optional) Ability to generate a little glow/fire or fireballs out of the exhaust. I know it's silly, but so is 600HP in a daily driver.

I thought about maybe keeping stock exhaust and just getting 200 or 100 cell cats?

Any ideas?
Hey MaxLTV! I'd say your list of requirements for your exhaust is certainly a tall order... but I know I can deliver at least 3 out of 4 points for you with our Valvetronic Supersport X-Pipe Exhaust System!

-- 'Quiet as OEM below ~3k' - This X-Pipe setup is Valvetronic and either works with the onboard PSE or comes with our Valvetronic Controller Kit to give you dual exhaust tone function. Valves closed this is a very streetable system just above the stock volume but with an improved sportier tone
-- 'Angry Porsche Sound' - This is our specialty! With valves open this exhaust system is pure Porsche Heaven on WOT.
-- 'Pops on overrun' - By eliminating the restrictive factory cats and replacing them with our signature HJS 200-cell high-flow Sport Cats, more unspent fuel is allowed into the exhaust and you'll get an intoxicating chorus of burbles and crackles on decels and downshifts.
-- 'optional ability to shoot flames' - In order to achieve this, you'd have to go with a full catless system and then there's no guarantee you would shoot flames. Plus, who wants a car that could catch on fire anyway? I'd say you'll be so satisfied with the above three points that you won't mind not being able to 'occassionally shoot fireballs'.

Check out this video of our system in action, I think you're going to like what you hear.

I'll shoot over a PM so we can chat. Cheers!

Old 10-09-2017, 02:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SilveRT8
Would love to hear your set-up Peter, do you have a video ?
I'm also very happy with your ex Sharkwerks muffler, basically 2 empty pipes replacing the OE muffler and keeping the stock Cats in place.
Does what you are looking for, except no fireballs.
Here is a comparison I did:

There's an updated link in the comment section after 4k kms.

The 100 cell cats allow a lot more of the turbo spool sounds to come through than I had experienced with stock cats and SharkWerks by-pass system.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Love the Europipe. Have had 2 on previous TT's and will be ordering one for the TTS.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:23 PM
ICX991TT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi MaxLtv,

I have a Fabspeed system with 200 cell HJS cats with only 5k miles on it.. I decided to run a complete Stage 4 system from Sam at By Design, so I ran a more aggressive exhaust system.. It's the same system displayed in the earlier post with Quad Tips.. If you're interested, message me and we'll discuss price.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Sharkwerks exhaust on my 991.2 Turbo S. It pops and bangs like it should in sport mode and on sports plus it’s a great sound without being obtrusive. It’s a great system that makes a noise without droning.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:16 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Here is one option.. Kline Inconel exhaust and headers through Sambo.. super light, love it.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:39 AM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Here is one option.. Kline Inconel exhaust and headers through Sambo.. super light, love it.

https://youtu.be/N3Tbu1MIpJ8
Nice!
Old 10-13-2017, 12:54 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Leaning towards Kline inconel now. But just found out that my car will be delivered two months later than I hoped (end of March now), so I have lots of time before I can use the exhaust :-(
Old 10-13-2017, 03:48 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Should order it now. It took me over 4 months to get mine because of some european holiday. You won't regret it. The exhaust is awesome and Sam will take care of you.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Leaning towards Kline inconel now. But just found out that my car will be delivered two months later than I hoped (end of March now), so I have lots of time before I can use the exhaust :-(
Old 10-13-2017, 11:20 PM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Stock exhaust is the only downside to this car IMO.
It is the one must have mod that makes a huge difference.

I personally went for Kline Inconel based on lots of positive reviews. Can't fault it in any manner.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:17 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 918 Likes on 560 Posts

Feel free to reach out anytime! I have several versions set up and would offer you a 100% guarantee that your happy

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 10-14-2017, 12:37 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm also going to be in the market for an exhaust for my incoming TTS Cab, and I was wondering for those that have headers or high flow cats, is there any added exhaust smell or CEL lights? Any issues passing emissions? How about low end torque, any effect on that?

I want a little extra sound without too many side effects. I had a super loud Huracan and that was fun, but I'm thinking I want a little less drama in the TTS.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:29 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 918 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I'm also going to be in the market for an exhaust for my incoming TTS Cab, and I was wondering for those that have headers or high flow cats, is there any added exhaust smell or CEL lights? Any issues passing emissions? How about low end torque, any effect on that?

I want a little extra sound without too many side effects. I had a super loud Huracan and that was fun, but I'm thinking I want a little less drama in the TTS.
Headers don't affect that at all. They are good for about 10 to 12 hp if designed properly but the biggest thing about them is getting an equal length tubular set up to help with better pressure temperature control on the VTG turbine. Also it really makes the car sound much better. Very noticeable!

Next you will want to good catalytic converter and a good exhaust that will not drone even on a cabriolet. Then you should be able to have your cake and eat it too!Let me know if I can help I can stand behind it 100% to make sure your anxiety free and good to go!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:16 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Headers don't affect that at all. They are good for about 10 to 12 hp if designed properly but the biggest thing about them is getting an equal length tubular set up to help with better pressure temperature control on the VTG turbine. Also it really makes the car sound much better. Very noticeable!

Next you will want to good catalytic converter and a good exhaust that will not drone even on a cabriolet. Then you should be able to have your cake and eat it too!Let me know if I can help I can stand behind it 100% to make sure your anxiety free and good to go!
Good to know that it is possible to get what I want! I've had bad experiences eliminating or going with high flow cats in the past, and since I'm bringing my kids in this car I definitely don't want to burst their little ear drums or make them smell like exhaust at school. :-)

I will definitely be in touch once I get the car, which will be quite a wait since they're just putting the order in now. :-(
Old 10-14-2017, 08:23 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You can’t go wrong with Sam, hands down!!!

Quick Reply: Which exhaust (specific preferences)