Sponsored by: Road Spy

Handling / steering on 991.2 TTS and other observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:03 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handling / steering on 991.2 TTS and other observations

Hi folks, was chatting with Sam about some handling and steering differences I noticed between the .2 and .1. Wanted to see if anyone else can chime in. Sam said he has another client who had complained about same things so hoping to correct somehow.

Here’s the best way I can describe it. The car does not feel as planted or heavy as the .1. Steering is much lighter and no, I don’t have power steering plus. The steering wheel seems to jar left and right on banking and highway on/off ramps. Last night entering a highway I was on the ramp not going particularly fast, say 50 mph, and I felt the wheel jerk back and forth. Never had that type issue with the .1 which I could drive with my pinky. Steering wheel was just tight as can be and almost drive itself. The .2 seems to wander a bit. I also feel like the rear end feel lighter and unplanted. This happens with PDCC button on or off. Sport or comfort. I didn’t. Price much difference between steering firmness in sport either maybe a tad. On a positive note, it does uneven roads and bumps quite a bit more smoothly and softer. Although I had put the new N1 p-zero’s on my .1, the .2 seems to offer more road feedback. Smooth still but gravel feel is more prevelant.

If it weren’t for Sam confirming at least one other person who had both models feel the same, I’d chalk it up to my neurotic like brain. I am not disappointed but would like to have tighter steering as I had before. It may be characteristic of the .2 or maybe there’s a software issue. Who knows but will ask dealer to take a peek. When I drive the same car at PEC in July, at much higher speeds and turns, I did not at all feel like this is the same car. As I say, I’m not complaining, love the car, but I am so attuned to my cars I pick up every little thing.

Someone in another thread confirmed the sport seats changed. I realized that last night. The back bolsters, to me, feel tighter even on their widest setting and I recently lost quite a bit of weight. Not at all uncomfortable. I like them but did notice that.

PCM- I like the screen and graphics. I find that when connected via USB to either car play or just as IPOD, it takes a couple seconds to skip to next song on a playlist. In addition it seems I have to wait another 2-3 seconds for it to cache before I can then skip again. Burmester, especially with Musicar’s tweeter upgrade really is quite nice. I’d like to find a way to default the pcm to the iPod like it does CarPlay when I plug my iPhone in. Have to hit source or media a few times to get to it each time. I may try a USB stick or Sd card to see if any different.

PSM/PASM - where are the settings or is it just disabling traction control?
Old 08-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
Hi folks, was chatting with Sam about some handling and steering differences I noticed between the .2 and .1. Wanted to see if anyone else can chime in. Sam said he has another client who had complained about same things so hoping to correct somehow.
I'm going to leave most of this alone, but I find the .2 has slightly better steering feel than the .1, and I don't have any of the steering jitters that you are describing. The rear is just as planted in curbing. The biggest difference I notice in the feel is that this car will let you be a little more aggressive before it steps in, is a bit faster (top speed at VIR back stretch was 164mph in .1, 167mph in .2) It overall seems more refined in aggressive situations. You might want to check your tires or tire pressures again. The dealers fill them to crazy high pressures, and they should always be run at summer comfort settings. I suggest 33Front/36 rear for street use.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:57 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I'm going to leave most of this alone, but I find the .2 has slightly better steering feel than the .1, and I don't have any of the steering jitters that you are describing. The rear is just as planted in curbing. The biggest difference I notice in the feel is that this car will let you be a little more aggressive before it steps in, is a bit faster (top speed at VIR back stretch was 164mph in .1, 167mph in .2) It overall seems more refined in aggressive situations. You might want to check your tires or tire pressures again. The dealers fill them to crazy high pressures, and they should always be run at summer comfort settings. I suggest 33Front/36 rear for street use.
Thanks for your reply. I’m running 33/38 or 37. I could drop a psi or two and see. This is a similar feel to what I had when I drove home from dealer with 45/49 or something like that, cold. Wandered everywhere and felt like I was floating a bit. Maybe a little less so with normal psi.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:29 AM
SilveRT8
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, Never drove a .1 but my .2 TTS fells solid and planted on the street or track, similar to RandyC's comment. I also run 33/38 on the street and the steering is tight and never wanders.
So far, I did 4 hard track days, starting at 30/30 cold and about 35/36 hot, car handles great.
Something other than tire pressure needs to be checked on yours, possibly alignement ?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:31 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

That’s right where my pressures are set. Even though Dealer initially forgot to adjust pressure from transport mode, car kind of feels the same. Wandering and and a light feel. I’ll gave to have dealer take a closer look.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:07 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Yes, on dealer tire pressure. Checked when I got my new .2 car home this weekend...48/55! That's crazy! Bumpy ride for sure. My first Turbo, came from 15 GT3, but my initial impressions are that the car is ultra smooth and solid. Does not feel heavy at all, very planted on my favorite back roads. Steering certainly not as quick feeling as GT3,may be to overall weight difference of cars and all wheel drive, but very confidence inspiring. I am favorably impressed. Upcoming AutoX and DE in a few weeks will tell more.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:37 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Yep dealer delivered tire pressures were high, but once adjusted to highway comfort, 991.2 drives like a dream.
But then so did my 991.1 TT.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:53 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Part-load comfort pressure is 31/36 and is the same for .1 and .2.

I would have the alignment checked by a competent shop. Don't assume the dealer has an alignment machine. Unless they are a big multi-mark service location they probably sub-out alignment to a nearby tire shop.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Just checked. 31/36 is what I have been running. Exactly. Alignment was checked last week and is spot on. I have a message in to my techs and will see what their thoughts are. Regarding the “planted” feeling, maybe I didn’t use the right term but with the steering wheel jarring back and forth at times, that was my best reference. I’ll take it out this morning and see if I can focus a little better as to what’s occurring if anything.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 AM
kjw911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have 'Lane keep assist' (or something similar in name)!? I picked up a Macan with this option and it startled me as the steering literally will try to keep you in the lane?? I turn it off as it is a bit too aggressive for me taste! Probably not your issue but thought I would post!
Old 08-21-2017, 10:56 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kjw911
Do you have 'Lane keep assist' (or something similar in name)!? I picked up a Macan with this option and it startled me as the steering literally will try to keep you in the lane?? I turn it off as it is a bit too aggressive for me taste! Probably not your issue but thought I would post!
Well- LOL I do and didn’t even think about that because I’d didn’t feel like other cars I’ve had with the vibration in steering wheel. I’ll shut it off and see if that changes anything. You may, I hope, be on to something.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:16 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

LCA was a good thought but in the 911 it only lights up, I have read nothing about corrective steering. I’ll take it today.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wassy
LCA was a good thought but in the 911 it only lights up, I have read nothing about corrective steering. I’ll take it today.
You are correct, Porsche 991.2 LCA only lights up, plus it will sound alarm if you check that box in setup. No idea what kjw911 is referring to, at least as far as 991.2 LCA is concerned.

Now my wife's AMG.. it will start by vibrating the wheel and then it will actually turn the wheel and even apply braking if it senses you are veering off the road. Happy my Porsche doesn't do this!!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 AM
kjw911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it! Lane change assist is not the same! I too had LCA on my Turbo with the lights in the mirror area! Lane Departure is different (and in addition to LCA) for sure as the Macan is my first vehicle with it and it definitely 'grabs' the wheel so to speak if it thinks you are leaving your lane with no signal!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:27 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

991.2 is the first year for LCA in 911 and the lights are on the A pillars on each side. You can also vary the intensity of the "alarm lighting".

Quick Reply: Handling / steering on 991.2 TTS and other observations