Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new GT3 not from original GT1 engine-what can we expect?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This year's RSR is built on the 997 platform.
The only 991 based racer right now is the Cup, to be raced in Porsche one-make series, the Supercup (from what I know, but I stand to be corrected). Both of those use Mezger engines.

Next year, they are likely to pass the 991 Cup down to national Cup championships most likely.
They might switch to the DFI then across the board, it would mean that all the 2013 Cup chassis that are handed down to national championships for 2014 campaigns will have to have their engines changed.
It does not seem clear to me when the 991 based RSR racer will be presented, and I believe this will depend on the development of regulations for the racing series that Porsche would be interested in - aside from Porsche's own series.
Best, w
Old 03-20-2013, 02:18 PM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wurlie
Its a development year for the 991 RSR so only the factory/manthey team are using it. It's scheduled to be run this year in the FIA WEC. This car has the "old" 4.0 engine.
It's already been seen at Sebring winter test and is down for the test at Le Castellet.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default re: Ferdinand Piech

Originally Posted by Macca
There is only one significant factor that has changed since the 997.1 GT3 was launched. Herr Piech (see other thread on Porsche Motorsports in 2014 for sh*ts and giggles!). In all seriousness however as soon as VW obtained full control 18 months ago all bets are off.
Originally Posted by outline
Absolutely. Porsche is a cog within a machine now thanks to their own market dabbling and how that cog is intended to be used remains not quite fully clear. The group as a whole operates in a more integrated fashion than perhaps is understood...Piech back at the helm is an interesting one. I suspect many dont realise his back story from the early days. One wonders where he will take things.
Originally Posted by Macca
Frankly I think he may have had a crack habit at the time with that one but it shows he can surprise if there is still life left in him.
Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Your constructed (parallel) of Piechs time from the 60s to today..I dont know..its a bit weak I think.
Porsche.collector, you were too polite! 'Weak' is rather diplomatic and it deserves to be labeled as something much stronger...like BS!

I find F. Piech a fascinating character. Those of us that lived through his era at the Porsche factory remember the race cars...but also his influence of series production vehicles! The MY1972 911 was, in particular, representative of his philosophy to improve the 'street' car regardless cost. He insisted in placing the oil tank in front of the rear wheel to move weight away from the back of the car! This led to the one model year 'oil filler cap' on the right hand side of that model, just behind the passenger door! When Piech was pushed out, Porsche returned to their 'old ways' in MY1973!

Many of you are forgetting that Porsche was going to be part of VW one way or another. Porsche's Board of Directors, heavily represented by the Porsche family that had the voting shares, made the decision a few years ago to allow Wendelin Wiedeking to plan the acquisition of VW via the ill-fated stock purchases. Had they been successful, the results for Porsche would have been the same as they are today. The only difference is that Wiedeking and Wolfgang Porsche (to a lesser extent) would have been calling the shots, not Martin Winterkorn & Ferdinand Piech. Same cog, same bureaucracy, etc. I can assure you that many true Porsche fans & customers with a keen knowledge of history prefer to see F. Piech influencing future decisions at Porsche rather than Wendelin Wiedeking! The latter has now been indicted in Germany and awaits trial for stock manipulation. And God only knows how this will impact the others in PAG's former board which were part of that decision making.

I often wondered what would have happened if F. Piech, in the background on last photo, would have never been asked to leave Porsche in 1972/1973! He would have eventually succeeded his uncle Ferry at the helm on sheer merit and he would have taken Porsche, I believe, to an unprecedented success in the automotive field (greater than it achieved otherwise) ! I, for one, feel very satisfied that Ferdinand Piech, the true heir of Ferdinand Porsche with whom he shares similar intellectual abilities, is playing an important role at Porsche today!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Z356. Calm down. It was mostly tongue in cheek. I'm pretty sure Piech is a shower guy not a bath guy!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Bla, bla whatever but that orange Targa is breathtaking.
I need more carport and garage space.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Bla, bla whatever but that orange Targa is breathtaking.
It's 'Signal Yellow', like my old original paint MY1973 911T Sunroof Coupe!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Must be the pictures or my Ipad, signal yellow looks way yellower in real life.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Eduardo: very nice old 911..love these things

By the way, its official now..the 991 GT3 RSR will use...guess

guess

guess

the old 997 GT3 RSR engine..

Discussion here on Rennlist will thus continue..thanks Porsche .

Quick Reply: new GT3 not from original GT1 engine-what can we expect?