Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Spyder or 991.1 GT3 - If you could only have 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:03 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I drove the Spyder - loved it. Best transmission in the Porsche lineup. Couldn't get past the top though. So passed on it and sold my GT3....the hunt gets serious now
Old 09-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
I drove the Spyder - loved it. Best transmission in the Porsche lineup. Couldn't get past the top though. So passed on it and sold my GT3....the hunt gets serious now
When I ordered my GT4, I debated whether or not I should go with a Spyder. The top scared me away and I ordered a GT4. After a year I missed the soft top, and everyone on the forum said the Spyder top was quick and easy. So I sold the GT4 and picked up my Spyder. They're right. It is quick and easy, but it's still fiddly enough to keep me from using it when my hands are full or I'm in a bit of a hurry. That said, it's not going anywhere. The only thing that might replace it would be another Spyder, if they announce another NA manual. Then again, it would have to be a pretty special upgrade to justify making the change. Any 911 will have to be an addition. I guess that's my answer - if I could have just one, which is what I have now, it's the Spyder.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:54 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Spyder top is easy on 981. Dunno why people are so scared. Takes maybe a minute with some practice.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:36 AM
PorschePaul
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 987 Spyder and it is fantastic like all here have said. However...a GT-3 has always been in my bucket list and I'm tempted to make the switch to a 911.1 even though I don't track...crazy?
Old 09-03-2017, 02:45 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePaul
I have a 987 Spyder and it is fantastic like all here have said. However...a GT-3 has always been in my bucket list and I'm tempted to make the switch to a 911.1 even though I don't track...crazy?
not crazy at all. For a time I had both a 911.1 GT3 and a GT4, the GT4 of course being a coupe version of the 981 Spyder but with even better brakes and handling, just no drop top fun. I neither tracked nor DD'd either one, just spirited drives on some great roads in the Hocking Hills mostly....

Long story short, despite my preference for a manual transmission, the GT3 was far more satisfying and far more of an event every time I drove it. I sold the GT4, kept the GT3, and have a 991.2 GT3 manual on order.

Now maybe I regret selling the GT4, because I probably could have afforded to keep it and it was a great car too, one that seems to be rising in value now. And I'd love to have a Spyder also. But if I had to have only one, no question: GT3.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:56 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Since you're only out maybe half a dozen times a year, have you considered doing arrive and drive race car rentals? $1k-2k a track day should be plenty. Then you'd get to enjoy slicks on the track without the towing or maintenance headaches and with all the safety gear.

If you go that way, your perfect car can be whatever you like best as a pure street car so it's less of a compromise.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:14 AM
PorschePaul
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
not crazy at all. For a time I had both a 911.1 GT3 and a GT4, the GT4 of course being a coupe version of the 981 Spyder but with even better brakes and handling, just no drop top fun. I neither tracked nor DD'd either one, just spirited drives on some great roads in the Hocking Hills mostly....

Long story short, despite my preference for a manual transmission, the GT3 was far more satisfying and far more of an event every time I drove it. I sold the GT4, kept the GT3, and have a 991.2 GT3 manual on order.

Now maybe I regret selling the GT4, because I probably could have afforded to keep it and it was a great car too, one that seems to be rising in value now. And I'd love to have a Spyder also. But if I had to have only one, no question: GT3.
thanks...and I have a 2016 981 Spyder - not a 987 as I wrote!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:01 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Oh I never knew the top goes up .................(:
Old 09-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
I'd get the spyder with some mods
I don't really like the .1 GT3 tho
Justin,

I was seriously thinking I may need to get rid of mine when I order the .2 RS. Let me know if you want to keep it in "the family."

FWIW, I love the Spyder the way I have it set up. It's raw, loud and an epic experience to drive. I've driven the RS and it's an incredibly capable and special to drive. It's just not as emotional a ride as the Spyder tearing up the mountain roads.

Why would I get rid of it? Because I've dreamed of the RS for a long time and I'm pretty much guaranteed a .2 unless the dealer pulls some kind of shenanigans.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:07 AM
gtfhercules
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
I got the chance to take out a Spyder this morning for a long back roads test drive. The motor, the sound, gear box and handling were all fantastic. Certainly more enjoyable for weekend street fun drives and around town.

The top concerns me though. Its much easier than the earlier version but its still an operation. Do you guys leave the top down when you park it at stores or in lots? or do you take the time to put it up? Id hate to end up not reaching for the keys because the roof is annoying.

Also not sure how id feel taking it on the track? I only do 4-5 days a year and don't need to go 10-10ths but the soft top got me thinking once I was in it.

I did love shifting gears for myself and it has the best short shift of anything I've ever driven.

You do know Spec Miata and Spec Boxster are a thing, right? I'm sure if you go to any track day in your area, you will find lots of Miatas, S2ks, and Boxsters going around in circles.

Sure, you could argue that the chassis rigidity in a convertible is significantly less than a coupe, but ask yourself this: Are you good enough that it actually matters, if it does, why are you not getting a GT3 RS which is a lot faster than any of these cars?

That said, it sounds to me like you want a 718 GT4 as it doesn't have a top to operate and drives just as nicely as the Boxster (since it's basically the same car).

Or get a real 911 and build that out

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder or 991.1 GT3 - If you could only have 1