Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How many days per year do you track your 991 GT3 or RS?
16.31%
1 to 5
24.82%
6 to 10
23.40%
11 to 15
12.06%
16 to 20
13.48%
21 to 30
7.09%
31 to 40
1.42%
41 to 50
0.71%
Over 50
0.71%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

How Much Do You Track Your 991 GT3 or RS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cormid
Orthojoe you ^nailed it^ right there
Disagree - its easy to teach people to have fun and drive safely at a certain level.

The biggest factors are time and opportunity.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:39 AM
randr
Banned

duplicate post - go figure
Old 06-16-2017, 11:03 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Disagree - its easy to teach people to have fun and drive safely at a certain level.

The biggest factors are time and opportunity.
Depends how you look at it. Time and opportunity is the number one excuse. Wife is a close second, or maybe first. Fear is up there. Fear of damaging the car. Fear of 'wearing the car' (baloney). Fear of looking like a fool. Fear of wife.

Number one excuse people don't go to the gym? Time and opportunity as well. You can always make time.

Don't get me wrong. Tracking a car is NOT for everyone.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by montoya
Once I started to drive wheel to wheel in race conditions, track days became boring for me. I don't care how exciting the car is.

Hey that's me too. I have a dedicated race car. 0 track days with the GT3 now and into the future unless I stop racing.

And yes I go to the gym to 'tone up' LOL. Been known to take the GT3 to a cars and coffee too! Guess that's why I own a Vette now.
That is because you have transcended to the next level of the 'pyramid of speed'

http://www.nsxfiles.com/Pyramid_of_speed.htm
Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Number one excuse people don't go to the gym? Time and opportunity as well. You can always make time.

Don't get me wrong. Tracking a car is NOT for everyone.
Make time. That's cute. What's your next advice? Make more money?

Also, to correct you, it's a reason, not an excuse. Excuse implies there is something can be done to change the outcome. I don't dunk a basketball. My REASON is I'm not tall enough and can't jump high enough. I've overweight. My EXCUSE is I love sugar.

RL is like the Matrix.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:34 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mass27
Make time. That's cute. What's your next advice? Make more money?

Also, to correct you, it's a reason, not an excuse. Excuse implies there is something can be done to change the outcome. I don't dunk a basketball. My REASON is I'm not tall enough and can't jump high enough. I've overweight. My EXCUSE is I love sugar.

RL is like the Matrix.
There is always time. Always. I don't care how busy your life is. Not having time is an excuse. You shouldn't have to make more money to do a few track days a year. If you do, there are other problems.

Don't get so offended. Like I said, it's not for everyone. It's ok that you don't want to do it or have no interest. Just don't make excuses.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:43 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

That is because you have transcended to the next level of the 'pyramid of speed'

That link is hilarious- I resemble some of it!!! Like the part about reverse kills- yes I have a couple, not proud of it, but they deserved it!

Wheel-to-Wheel racers have been known to occasionally "bait" the Freeway Racers into following them through an offramp at triple digits speeds, and when the Freeway Racer suddenly realizes that he can't control his car that fast in a turn, the Freeway Racer panics, hits the brakes hard while turning, and ends up spinning and crashing into the guard rail, while the Wheel-to-Wheel racer looks in his rear view mirror, and calmly puts another mark on his dashboard, keeping score of "reverse-kills".
Old 06-17-2017, 12:02 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Hmm. Let me take a crack at this.

1. Some people have a job. No, not the "entrepreneur thing where you work for 10 hrs a week, make 20K, then tell everyone how efficient you are with your time." Some people have to "work" 60+ hours a week at these jobs.
2. Some of the people who fall into the first point, don't make 2M a year. I know it sounds crazy that people can survive on 200K a year, but it happens. And those people can only afford a sports car and not much of other things.
3. Some people have a wife
4. Some people have kids
5. Some people have family
6. Some people have friends

Now, imagine if you fall into ALL 6 categories. These people would never track their cars.

Finally, there isn't a paradox created because some people want a sports car and use it to drive to Target.
I used to fall into all 6 of the categories until maybe 3 years ago. Still tracked a car, just a cheaper one. But if I did not track, I'd still prefer to pick up groceries in a GT3. Tracking is arguably the most complete way to enjoy these cars but definitely not the only one and not a must.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:15 AM
randr
Banned

Thats funny - unfortunately they left off Nirvana. Thats where rally drivers live

They don't look down on the others - they dispense adult diapers to them when the other "racers" decide they want to see what a navigator does.

Of course, rally drivers having a Scandinavian derived sense of humour know that the wannabe navigator fresh from his or her "wheel to wheel" excitement will not only sh it themselves by the end of the first stage, they will also vomit in to the full face helmet that the rally driver provided the wannabe. The rally driver provided the wannabe navigator with a full face helmet, not for safety reasons - rally drivers can actually drive their cars, but rather to protect the dash and count down clocks from the inevitable projectile vomiting.

Rally drivers have no need of car magazines and prefer to translate ancient byzantine manuscripts in their spare time, safe in the knowledge their wife has prepared a Michelin 3 star meal prior to parking the car in the garage after executing a scandinavian flick and hand brake turn to ensure the car is perfectly aligned between one of the many super cars they jointly own.

Of course, his wife is his equal and co-driver in all aspects of life. In retirement they do track events for fun.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:41 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Thats funny - unfortunately they left off Nirvana. Thats where rally drivers live

They don't look down on the others - they dispense adult diapers to them when the other "racers" decide they want to see what a navigator does.

Of course, rally drivers having a Scandinavian derived sense of humour know that the wannabe navigator fresh from his or her "wheel to wheel" excitement will not only sh it themselves by the end of the first stage, they will also vomit in to the full face helmet that the rally driver provided the wannabe. The rally driver provided the wannabe navigator with a full face helmet, not for safety reasons - rally drivers can actually drive their cars, but rather to protect the dash and count down clocks from the inevitable projectile vomiting.

Rally drivers have no need of car magazines and prefer to translate ancient byzantine manuscripts in their spare time, safe in the knowledge their wife has prepared a Michelin 3 star meal prior to parking the car in the garage after executing a scandinavian flick and hand brake turn to ensure the car is perfectly aligned between one of the many super cars they jointly own.

Of course, his wife is his equal and co-driver in all aspects of life. In retirement they do track events for fun.

Quick Reply: How Much Do You Track Your 991 GT3 or RS?