Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does the Porsche brand stand for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:19 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Regardless of whatever annoyances, I still think porsche stands for the ultimate daily driven sports car.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:27 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

It stands for it doesn't matter how much you work we are not going to sell you the car you want.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:54 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My last Porsche purchase was my 991.2 TTS Cab, last summer is when I placed the order. I could have bought just about car made, that is if I could get it past the CFO. That limitation did squeeze my search a wee-bit, as she is not a Ferrari or an R8 fan. But she would allow me McLaren's, or Mercedes. Neither of us like Lambos. When I looked at the specs and reading as much press as I could, however biased they might be at times. I always came back to the Turbo S, it really has Super/Hyper Car performance at just a silly expensive, not a stupid expensive price. However, if McLaren had a dealer in Calgary, I do admit I might well have gone that way. The only Mercedes I looked at was the AMG GTs. I also was only in the market for a Cab, at that point the Merc was only offered in a Coupe. I am very happy where I ended up, I have car that will go like a bat out of he!!, and I have got a great local dealer to service it. If you put in O mode it drives like a *****-cat, put it in S+, do full on launch, and holy shot, hang on. I don't know how many cows gave their lives for my car, but I ticked about every leather option possible. I see it as a luxury GT with a wicked personality quirk. So back to the OPs question, I think Porsche still nicely fills a niche market in the Sports Car world. Even if they make a lot more SUVs, and we also do have a Cayenne in the garage.

Last edited by sctanton52; 06-05-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spelling, and what else is new?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:04 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Past: Race on Sunday, sell on Monday.

Present: Race on Sunday, sell SUVs on Monday.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:20 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 276 Posts

Hedge Fund
Old 06-05-2017, 07:43 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

It is DA TOYZ 4 DA BIG BOYZ.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 06-05-2017, 07:44 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I can see, and I am older and my vision is far less than 20/20, so please give me a bit of a break. Ferrari is perhaps the only 'main line' Sports Car maker that has said no SUV, todate. That is if you discount the FF as a simple feeble attempt, AWD, four adult seats, and a hatch back

Who else has not crossed the evil SUV line?
Old 06-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

911: engine in the wrong place; goes like stink; takes a lickin'; dated technology; highest margins in the industry and rising.

Last edited by Nizer; 07-15-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

German engineering for the affluent, which equates to "most profitable" car company
Old 06-05-2017, 09:52 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see this is one thread we all agree on.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:57 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"Practical" everyday sports car
Old 06-05-2017, 10:05 PM
indianam3
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Some thoughts of mine:

1) The most mechanically, dependable, and serviceable exotic. Comparing a GT3 or RS, turbo, etc. to a Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, etc., for me, it’s easy. Except for Porsche, there are no dealers in my market. Like in the NBA, NFL, etc., small markets are not big markets, and my market has no NFL, NBA, or MLB teams either. The fact that timing belts, etc. do not have to be changed every 15K miles, etc., etc.
2) Affordable compared to – at least you can get into one for much less than the competitors mentioned in #1 above.
3) Service – my dealerships (I have used a couple) have been wonderful. Cars are delivered to my door at no additional cost re closed trainer. I always have a loaner or a shuttle to work, my choice. They really have been great. No comparison to another German dealership in our area that I will not name. (Martin to light my sealerships up in 3.2.1 – seriously when Martin finally received his RS, the edge was not as sharp for a while, and I missed it. Now that the .2 is out there and we have the 50K markups Martin is alive and it is great reading!)
4) Quality – panel fit, etc. are very, very good.
5) Racing history – I like the history, I loved it when they went back to Lemans, I like watching them race now, etc. Also, I am a big fan of the era where everyone drove their car to the racetrack, slapped numbers on a truly raced it, and drove it home. Road and Track, that is a Porsche.
6) Accessibility – as hard as it is to get a GT3 or RS, some can be much worse.
7) Club activities – If you like the social aspect, there are local chapters and they are very active. I am always surprised by how many events our local chapter can fit into a year. Ask a Ferrari guy in my area if he has ever met another one.
8) Track events and training – the ability to have an organized structure from club events to Barbers’ programs, to club racing, most every level is covered.
9) Rarity, uniqueness – every other car I see in our area is a 3 series BMW. It is still a relatively rare site to see a 911.
10) Brand pin nosh - still seen by most as an exotic brand

I could go on the debate team and counter point all of these. The 911 is not a true exotic, stealerships are bad, brand has lost its way with turbos, and RS’s are not accessible. I am still at the end of the day, a Porsche fan, or maybe a fanatic.

I think with all the traits above, whole is much greater than the sum of the parts of the Porsche. It takes many teeth in the program's gears for it all to come together in a crescendo.

My tag line for Porsche is "exotic boy racer, road and track worthy!"

Huge flame suit on and ready!!!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WiKiPorsche for the first 20 years... then you have the Son that wanted a faster car. Between the hinterlands and the boondocks were miles of twisty roads that soared into the mist on one side and plunged towards the rivers and streams below. Snow or rain be damned the machine gives you the best chance, quickly. Consider that car intended for those conditions and add in the Autobahn. A specialty car that gives special experiences. Behavior is always quirky until it is mastered in one.
Unique, Unapologetic, sometimes brash yet always elegant. Aspirational.
As for the engineering? Zee Germans did the best they could with what they had, 50% better than required.
It only took them about 50 years to engineer out the original inherent deficiencies for Americans.

BTW, thread seems like a HS troll working on a term paper or Jalopnik writer looking for word clouds. I want $50 for use of content.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 PM
FRZA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think this discussion captures the essence of Porsche.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:28 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Show me another manufacturer who makes naturally aspirated sports cars, who can survive tracks days, that are fun to drive, and sound / look great.

The fact that Porsche can make a N/A 6 cylinder car competitive if not better than turbo 8 cylinders from other brands is astonishing.

Their engineering is phenomenal in my opinion - and reliability is also extremely good.

Long live the N/A GT cars from Porsche.
This is Porsche for me as well.

I used to only be interested in 911s. Now I've learned to apriciate the cayman.
Could care less if the Panamera or Cayenne was wearing a different badge but do apriciate the money they give the mother company. Without the cash cows I doubt the 991gt3/rs would be as good as they are today.
Sure, I would love to see a closer link between the race cars and street 911s but completely understand why they manufacture the 911 the way they do.

Still the best bang for the buck you can get for track/street durability.

Just have to watch out so they don't overprice. Those Mustangs and Chevys used to be unrecognizable in the rear view mirror. Now I can see them.

Quick Reply: What does the Porsche brand stand for?