Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 01:31 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
In recognition of the great multi-layered network of enablers of this thread.

^ Lol.

Subtly at its finest.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty

it's back
^ Really doesn't look like much in there. Demure, even.

Same view probably feels different from a surprising number of "faster" cars on good roads.

drove both back to back so different yet so similar
Never seen them side by side, or considered them together. Tend to think of Acura's NSX as precursor to Audi's R8, but the two in this pic were both usable mid-engined sports cars and ahead of their time and competition in one way or another—something I'm not sure one can say for the Audi (though I really like early R8s).

Also remember someone high up at PCNA telling me, flatly, that the NSX was simply a better sports car than the 964.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:57 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Lol.

Subtly at its finest.
I understand there is a bit of Stout setup advice in car also. ;-)
Old 09-30-2021, 02:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

see, you got good car
is the targa roof still attached or flown away already hahaha
I am not a man of too many words.... mostly I am busy eating....

In recognition of the great multi-layered network of enablers of this thread.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:39 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Also remember someone high up at PCNA telling me, flatly, that the NSX was simply a better sports car than the 964.
very close indeed.
but NSX is more jykelle and hyde than 964
914/6 grips better than either. prolly b/c it's as wide as it's long ha.
the gearing is not quite right after John did it.
3rd to 4th has 2000rpm drop and literally never use 4th on skyline, 84, Pescadero
5th is way too tall I won't use it even driving to LA.
dieter (audial) mentioned the cylinder slap which I heard but I thought I was crazy... but old man dieter heard it too.
other than that. it's a hoot. I slid it so much now that 3 of the screws on the rear valence DISAPPEARED.

the side shifter conversion John did was absolute insane. it bind a little, dieter fixed it. now it's like Miata shifter, imagine that for a 901box

there's a dip bn 3-4k rpm
maybe it's b/c it's a carb. next iteration ITB MoTeC
I am no purist

car wont start easily, SpyerX put petronix no points now it fires up on first try like modern cars
sounds great at <6500rpm. below that... sounds ok

NSX is a bit too perfect
AC works really well
very comfy
slow when slow
fast when fast
huge greenhouse easy to see out. though I still almost hit the tree in drive way. hey only 1.5 eyes you know.

The following 2 users liked this post by mooty:
heshalosny (10-01-2021), Tom Tweed (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 02:41 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

rode today. driving stinky 914/6 tmo. maybe I should invite fBroen. once he drives the 914....
The following 2 users liked this post by mooty:
fijibubba (09-30-2021), jj99c2 (10-01-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 11:49 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

is the targa roof still attached or flown away already hahaha
That is more of tasman job.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:22 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

very close indeed.
3rd to 4th has 2000rpm drop and literally never use 4th on skyline, 84, Pescadero
dieter (audial) mentioned the cylinder slap which I heard but I thought I was crazy... but old man dieter heard it too.
other than that. it's a hoot. I slid it so much now that 3 of the screws on the rear valence DISAPPEARED.

the side shifter conversion John did was absolute insane. it bind a little, dieter fixed it. now it's like Miata shifter, imagine that for a 901box

I am no purist

car wont start easily, SpyerX put petronix no points now it fires up on first try like modern cars

NSX is a bit too perfect
AC works really well
very comfy
slow when slow
fast when fast
huge greenhouse easy to see out. though I still almost hit the tree in drive way. hey only 1.5 eyes you know.
Like the NSX/914 combo. Mix things up a bit.

+1 on Motec ITB.

Engine out currently on NSX. Period Comptech SC = faster but changes Jek/Hyde character. +\-
Old 09-30-2021, 02:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

I understand there is a bit of Stout setup advice in car also. ;-)
Perhaps a bit.

But mainly remember going for a particularly good coffee run with Furia in two old VWs. Yours was one of them, and those creaky old cars go pretty good. Good to hear it ended up in good hands.

very close indeed.

NSX is a bit too perfect
AC works really well
very comfy
slow when slow
fast when fast
"NSX is more jykelle and hyde than 964" = bullseye.

Drove first press car (an early one?) and didn't get all the fuss about the NSX. To me, a bit anodyne. Then drove another NSX and thought, "maybe it gets better if you really get after it," and that did the trick. But I wasn't sold on an Acura Legend 80-90% of the time and a razor sharp tool 10-20% of the time. First R8 was an A6 around town but felt special everywhere else, particularly with that gated shifter. Do like NSX's 1980s/1990s greenhouse, however, and spent a long run on the loop in a friend's a few years ago. Was easy to see why people like them. So much of what's missing in today's sports cars. Like unassisted steering, enough power, good shifter, enough brakes, and…not much else.

Interesting point on 914 width vs length—wheelbase is same as 991 (!), and car was designed to be three people wide. Now add overhangs that make even the NSX look like a 996. With tiny 185 tires.

​​​​​​

I am no purist

Really surprised by gearing, and that stinks as gearing is kind of like suspension: You only want to do it once…and it is fraught with downside. Makes me want to track down the orange six I drove years ago with perfect gearing for backroads. Might have a way to find it.

Carbs can be ok, and you drove mine. No flat spots, good except catching it out from time to time if you get ahead of the carbs by demanding transition from partial throttle to full too quickly. Sometimes, not always. So you should be able to get rid of that dip from 3-4k, and sounds like standard sorting. Surprised Dieter did not. Needed a day on the dyno with Martine in Santa Rosa to get where it is, which I'd say is 85-90% acceptable. Gained 35 hp and WAY more driveability, and then Steve de Jung and John tweaked a little more and it got nicer still. Starts easy, good manners, but I too am itching to do EFI.

Sounds bad most of the rpm because of your single-pipe muffler IMO. Tried one on my car. Got rid of as soon as possible. So much better with 57mm twin tip. Cheap, good looking, and you can install faster than you make coffee. Leave valance off to try, since you already lost some bolts. If you like, we can figure out the valance. Easy.

Yes, John's side shifter/rod setup is magic. Sounds like it needed a little more sorting (no surprise), but glad it's good now. Miata is high praise, especially as shifter is one of the biggest criticisms of the 914…and rightly so.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:06 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mclaudio

+1 on Motec ITB.
What ITB setup? This thread remains dangerous…
Old 09-30-2021, 02:32 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

That is more of tasman job.
as we all know, Tal is hopeless. IIRC, he bought the 2nd targa, incase the first Targa's top flies off.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:33 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

What ITB setup? This thread remains dangerous…
THIS IS....
"yes, I am dangerous"... I think iceman said it in Top Gun

Old 09-30-2021, 02:46 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

48 mm TBs by Rothsport. Motec M84. 3.8 RSR P/Cs.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:46 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

"NSX is more jykelle and hyde than 964" = bullseye..
yes NSX is a sexy accord, until you floor it and keep it above 6k, this is why I rarely use 4th gear. even on my drive to LA.

Really surprised by gearing, and that stinks as gearing is kind of like suspension: You only want to do it once…
I have come to realize that gearing and suspension is really black magic. like make espresso. even God gets it right only 50% of the time.
anyone tells you their success rate is over 50%.... HE'S lying else he be with F1 and winning every fkg race.
JVoB and Craig W then add PLM: together they work some serious magic..... the 911 now is really really nice.... now if they can get rid of that squeak.... it may just make the 4.0 obsolete.

Carbs can be ok, and you drove mine. No flat spots, good except catching it out from time to time if you get ahead of the carbs by demanding transition from partial throttle to full too quickly. Sometimes, not always. So you should be able to get rid of that dip from 3-4k, and sounds like standard sorting. Surprised Dieter did not. Needed a day on the dyno with Martine in Santa Rosa to get where it is, which I'd say is 85-90% acceptable. Gained 35 hp and WAY more driveability, and then Steve de Jung and John tweaked a little more and it got nicer still. Starts easy, good manners, but I too am itching to do EFI.
dieter noted the dip.
but as you said. if you are smoother on throttle you dont feel the dip. but when I exit a turn (you know those turns u shot the RS4.0 pix), I need to be in WOT else EVERYTHING runs away from me. even the little civics... so if you jam on the throttle, it will hesitate.... I think I need to be more patient. will let my maker know so HE (not I) can work on my next incarnation...

Sounds bad most of the rpm because of your single-pipe muffler IMO. Tried one on my car. Got rid of as soon as possible. So much better with 57mm twin tip. Cheap, good looking, and you can install faster than you make coffee. Leave valance off to try, since you already lost some bolts. If you like, we can figure out the valance. Easy..
not the exhaust it's the engine that sounds bad.

Yes, John's side shifter/rod setup is magic. Sounds like it needed a little more sorting (no surprise), but glad it's good now. Miata is high praise, especially as shifter is one of the biggest criticisms of the 914…and rightly so.
it's smooth as butter....
when it's not. go harder....
Old 09-30-2021, 06:43 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

as we all know, Tal is hopeless. IIRC, he bought the 2nd targa, incase the first Targa's top flies off.
he wired $ for a replacement top, got a spare targa.

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches