Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 02:44 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wru
gt, there is more than one foodie in this thread... say where you are and you'll get recommendations
thx wru. We are in downtown on the edge of Chinatown - Union Square side. Any recommendations welcome. Might walk the bridge today. Recommendations with and without booking required plse.
cheers
Old 08-30-2019, 04:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

R&G lounge chinatown authentic. crab really good

swan depot. if u like oyster. this is a MUST tiny ; long line

wk the bridge? GGB? u will end up in sausalito. all the restaurants on the main street (bridgeway) are decent
Old 08-31-2019, 01:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

SO... that was a lot of car content and driving this weekend on the CGT.

a few of the RL'ster who went with me and Jono to ride the Dolomites with. imGamba are now eager to do another trip for 2020. it's a weeklong of painful relaxation... is that what Americans called oxymoron?

u do nothing, just get up, eat good breakfast. get on impeccably prepped Pinarello F12 bikes, cleaned and tuned every night by pro mechanics who travel with the group.

ride with pro guides

the support van follows with food / water and ....

finished the ride..

massage

eat really good dinner

chill and tell each other how fast you went

repeat.

we need 8 riders to make the trip happen.

I thought we start recruiting NOW. and get it in order for dates and destination.

it is NOT cheap. well, may be I should say it's expensive. but it's well worth it.

WRU will post up the picture. I, clearly took no picture, bc I was going too fast
Old 08-31-2019, 01:16 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

Gt38088: Also try Arsicault Bakery in the Inner Richmond. Owned by a friend of ours. Rates best new bakery in the US and with good reason. Best croissants...period.

The Dolomites trip we did this year was simply amazing. Worth every penny...even to be tortured. Food so good; riding amazing; people were awesome. I'll do it again...just will train more for it this time. It's no joke. Some highlights:

Old 08-31-2019, 09:00 AM
My 911
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
SO... that was a lot of car content and driving this weekend on the CGT.

a few of the RL'ster who went with me and Jono to ride the Dolomites with. imGamba are now eager to do another trip for 2020. it's a weeklong of painful relaxation... is that what Americans called oxymoron?

u do nothing, just get up, eat good breakfast. get on impeccably prepped Pinarello F12 bikes, cleaned and tuned every night by pro mechanics who travel with the group.

ride with pro guides

the support van follows with food / water and ....

finished the ride..

massage

eat really good dinner

chill and tell each other how fast you went

repeat.

we need 8 riders to make the trip happen.

I thought we start recruiting NOW. and get it in order for dates and destination.

it is NOT cheap. well, may be I should say it's expensive. but it's well worth it.

WRU will post up the picture. I, clearly took no picture, bc I was going too fast
How many miles do you cover?
Old 08-31-2019, 11:01 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

30-65 per day but the climbing was intense. 1500-10000' per day.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:21 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
thx wru. We are in downtown on the edge of Chinatown - Union Square side. Any recommendations welcome. Might walk the bridge today. Recommendations with and without booking required plse.
cheers

Look up Seakor Polish Delicatessen on Geary. You’ll be impressed. Get the Poppyseed coffee cake and whatever sausage the heart desires.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:03 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Look up Seakor Polish Delicatessen on Geary. You’ll be impressed. Get the Poppyseed coffee cake and whatever sausage the heart desires.
thx for all the recommendations chaps. Yesterday we did walk the GGB over and back then went to the tourist trap FW and Pier39. Thought we should stand off the edge of a tram back to hotel so lined up for over 1 hour. Trams were there but blocked by the front one broken down. When a repair truck finally arrived usual story 5 guys talking and looking and 1 guy fixing. Lucky most of the waiting passengers got sick of waiting so the large lineup shrunk. By the time we got back to hotel it was late so no research or planning dinner was a nearby Irish pub. Today is another day...

Dolomites. You boys hard out with pro TdeF bikes and super fit. Only thing missing on most is the 60kg and 5ft 5inch body shape. You like eating too much.
I am thinking of a Ring and Spa trip next year. Driving is more sustainable for an old fella. I am wondering how long I can keep doing 5 day tarmac rallies from an endurance aspect.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:34 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Dolomites trip was awesome. If anyone is on the fence just join whatever we do next summer. You won't regret it unless you hate scenery, great biking and incredible food

You will
Have to put up with a few rennlist characters though and talk cars a bit.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:49 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

gt, enjoy your trip.

Dolomites, I am old, fat and slow, so i have plenty time to take pictures. I'm in for next year. For those considering it, this is NOT trek travel. No knock on Trek Travel, but this is next level. Impromptu tours of two of the coolest bike companies on the planet, behind the scenes stories from legit pros (our main guide was Eros Poli - look him up). It is indeed expensive but this is also one of a kind experience.

On the difficulty... I live in TX. It's Fn hot but it's FLAT. We have wind, we don't have elevation. This ride was ~235 miles over 6 days and ~30k feet of climbing. 3 days of the 6 were NO flat. going up, or going down. I did just fine - you ride your own ride and you have great support from the pros and the support staff. People (both the tour company and the collection of guests that participated) were awesome.

Oh, and they have an unofficial rule... if you lose weight, the trip is on them. You won't lose weight.

Introductions over lunch

Arrival, normal morning start. Bikes clean, prepped, ready to go.

mid-ride break, day 1

bridge leaving Verona

Check the mailbox...

Lake Garda

Start of Passo Giau

Top of Passo Giau

Lots of these views

Corvara at Badia in the Dolomites

Mid way up Passo Fedaia

hardest day - Gardena to start, Passo Fedaia in the middle, Sella reverse next

View from a private dinner at the top of a Gondola

2nd view from same Gondola dinner

The one time i was in front of John

Total

Much of this

mooty: "i'll take one of everything"

Sample dinner menu
Old 08-31-2019, 04:41 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow
Old 08-31-2019, 06:28 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Don't let WRU fool you. He is not slow, fat, or old. 😂. Rest of the trip is as described. The gelato alone was worth it. Thanks hanks for sharing the pictures Ray
Old 09-01-2019, 12:57 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Tried the bakery this morning. Line was out the door and several groups of cyclists there after morning rides. very nice croissants.
Also tried to get into R@G Lounge tonight but the wait was too long - inside wait area full and maybe 30 ppl outside on the footpath. At least 1 hour wait so we moved on.
NY tomoro. Thx for help with suggestions.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Do. They have a version of that tour where you ride only down hills and eat. I’d be down for that.
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 01:09 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

I seem to remember Eros mentioning ebikes were an option.

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches