Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In between car review: Corvette GS compared to 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017 | 01:49 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fun2k
If you are not looking for just tracking this ,i would recommend the comfort seats, I feel they are the most comfortable seat for my body compared to any other sports car i've driven recently.

Just drove the car again in track mode (after a loooong time) and the z06(same suspension as gs?) feels much better now ie the suspension feels less rubbery in this setting but the steering gets too heavy and u cant adjust the steering mode while in track mode. Will check with gm if they have update.

What is DSC?
You can adjust the steering in track, or any mode between Comfort; Sport or Track.
Look under Settings.
DSC is the suspension controller for the 'Mag' shocks', works incredibly well. Well known on RL for the DSC Porsche controller iirc.
Bish
Old 05-18-2017 | 01:50 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Billings
Had no idea about that (rear caster). Sure in the front.....
You'll be amazed how many SA's at Chevy dealerships have no idea that the C7 Vette is the first to have adjustable rear caster.
Old 05-18-2017 | 01:53 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

I have a C7 Z06 and for the money, cannot be beaten in terms of kinematics and tech. The range of possibilities of the Vette cannot be ignored especially in the range of sub 3600lb sports cars. The power to weight ratio per dollar is also something to consider.

Long term ownership proposition and cost of aftermarket support be it cooling or tech improvements make it a no brainer for this family man whose household income is under $250k.

Crazy how a GT3 costs 2 x Z06 and more so than the GS. The current gen Vette makes a strong case and one that cannot be sidelined. Word is Tadge for at least $250-$300M and was denied by bean counters. No one can deny that the Vette engineering team has done miracles with the paltry $100M development money they were allocated by GM during the bankruptcy.

Was never a Vette fan till the C7 came out and from a design and quality perspective inside and out, they hit it out of the ballpark. The price delta between the GT3 and Vette is too large and ridiculous not to look at options apart from the GT3.

Porsche has the luxury of having engineered and perfected the rear engined layout which gives it a tremendous advantage over every other manufacturer when it comes to traction and power management. Unfortunately, Vette owners are not ready to forego the benefits of having a wider range of usability in the current Front Engine, RWD layout.

Last edited by Checkmate; 05-18-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-18-2017 | 04:34 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Thanks for posting all the clarifications Bish! I gotta say, I love my Z06 and I'm sure the GS with Z07 package is also potent. Congrats OP, nice track day choice!
Old 05-18-2017 | 08:52 PM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by Checkmate
I have a C7 Z06 and for the money, cannot be beaten in terms of kinematics and tech. The range of possibilities of the Vette cannot be ignored especially in the range of sub 3600lb sports cars. The power to weight ratio per dollar is also something to consider.

Long term ownership proposition and cost of aftermarket support be it cooling or tech improvements make it a no brainer for this family man whose household income is under $250k.

Crazy how a GT3 costs 2 x Z06 and more so than the GS. The current gen Vette makes a strong case and one that cannot be sidelined. Word is Tadge for at least $250-$300M and was denied by bean counters. No one can deny that the Vette engineering team has done miracles with the paltry $100M development money they were allocated by GM during the bankruptcy.

Was never a Vette fan till the C7 came out and from a design and quality perspective inside and out, they hit it out of the ballpark. The price delta between the GT3 and Vette is too large and ridiculous not to look at options apart from the GT3.

Porsche has the luxury of having engineered and perfected the rear engined layout which gives it a tremendous advantage over every other manufacturer when it comes to traction and power management. Unfortunately, Vette owners are not ready to forego the benefits of having a wider range of usability in the current Front Engine, RWD layout.
The C7 looks more front mid engine than front engine or something in between if that has a name.

Name:  2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-sports-car-mo-performance-980x440-09.gif
Views: 2189
Size:  308.0 KB

For the money or not, the tech in the C7 is really advanced. Several things For e.g better than the gt3:

1.Suspension from tour mode to sport and then track mode makes a huge difference unlike the gt3

2.The steering has 3 modes and you can tell the difference in weight very
clearly

3.The exhaust has 3 modes

4.Traction management has several modes

5.Two front cameras (seriously they help with the long bonnet)

6. PDR works great and you can even secretly record your passengers

7. Rev match on/off with paddles (manual car of course)

8. Heads up display with several modes

9. Very comfortable seats with cooling option especially in the summers

10.650lb ft with a manual (an insane amount of power even with 3600 lbs)
"The LT4 maintains 90 percent of its peak torque, or 592 lb-ft (802 Nm), from 2,500 to 5,400 rpm"

11.The GT3 like all previous gt3s(at least from 997 gen) needs to be pushed hard on the road to enjoy. This.... this car goes crazy every time you mash the throttle because point no.10 and that's never boring.

With all that said there is some negatives also but dont want to get into it rite now, as a complete package though the GT3 feels a lot more solid and top end and handling are dialed in a lot better. I have no idea about track experience because I have not tracked yet.
Old 05-19-2017 | 03:08 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
If you have a C7 Z or GS and can't destroy pretty much any other car in your run group at an HPDE you need to have the alignment, particularly the rear caster, set to the track settings. Anyone I take for a ride in my '15 A8 Z06(7) are fairly amazed at the handling.
Bish
Learned something new about my car here.

Originally Posted by thebishman
You can adjust the steering in track, or any mode between Comfort; Sport or Track.
Look under Settings.
DSC is the suspension controller for the 'Mag' shocks', works incredibly well. Well known on RL for the DSC Porsche controller iirc.
Bish
And again (re settings for steering- I like it not to change...) Knew about the DSC controller, seems to be a magic box!

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
Thanks for posting all the clarifications Bish! I gotta say, I love my Z06 and I'm sure the GS with Z07 package is also potent. Congrats OP, nice track day choice!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by fun2k
The C7 looks more front mid engine than front engine or something in between if that has a name.

For the money or not, the tech in the C7 is really advanced. Several things For e.g better than the gt3:

1.Suspension from tour mode to sport and then track mode makes a huge difference unlike the gt3

2.The steering has 3 modes and you can tell the difference in weight very
clearly

3.The exhaust has 3 modes

4.Traction management has several modes

5.Two front cameras (seriously they help with the long bonnet)

6. PDR works great and you can even secretly record your passengers

7. Rev match on/off with paddles (manual car of course)

8. Heads up display with several modes

9. Very comfortable seats with cooling option especially in the summers

10.650lb ft with a manual (an insane amount of power even with 3600 lbs)
"The LT4 maintains 90 percent of its peak torque, or 592 lb-ft (802 Nm), from 2,500 to 5,400 rpm"

11.The GT3 like all previous gt3s(at least from 997 gen) needs to be pushed hard on the road to enjoy. This.... this car goes crazy every time you mash the throttle because point no.10 and that's never boring.

With all that said there is some negatives also but dont want to get into it rite now, as a complete package though the GT3 feels a lot more solid and top end and handling are dialed in a lot better. I have no idea about track experience because I have not tracked yet.
Some good points, although my car is way less torque and hp than a Z06, it's plenty for the street and actually useable and fun!

Quick Reply: In between car review: Corvette GS compared to 991.1 GT3