Sponsored by:

In between car review: Corvette GS compared to 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:13 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
i have a manual c7 z06 and enjoy it a lot... it is so smooth yet stable on track it feels like you are cheating... then you mat the throttle ... LMAO

z06 has much more front end grip than a 991 gt3 but less rear end grip when pushed hard (both on cup 2's)... only powering out of tighter turns does the 1 gt3 have a clear edge

the steering in the z06 is quite light (even in track mode) but it is very very informative... more info than 1gt3 but because of the lightness of the gt3 nose steering control in the gt3 feels more precise esp. at turn-in

of course on the straights and sweepers the power of the z06 is in another league entirely

I am also looking at a Z06. I want a manual but am very worried about over heating issues. I want a manual. I frequently track in 90-100F weather so I am skeptical.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Everyone I have seen on track had problems.
Last time one even blew up oiling all of T17.

Couple people had them bought back by Chevy.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:20 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

That's what worries me. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:28 AM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a manual c7 z06 and enjoy it a lot... it is so smooth yet stable on track it feels like you are cheating... then you mat the throttle ... LMAO

z06 has much more front end grip than a 991 gt3 but less rear end grip when pushed hard (both on cup 2's)... only powering out of tighter turns does the 1 gt3 have a clear edge

the steering in the z06 is quite light (even in track mode) but it is very very informative... more info than 1gt3 but because of the lightness of the gt3 nose steering control in the gt3 feels more precise esp. at turn-in

of course on the straights and sweepers the power of the z06 is in another league entirely

I have the same car, in track mode i feel the steering gets very heavy.
Agree on the enormous grip levels of this car, off throttle of course

Also have you done/recommend any mods on this car in regards to the shifter or suspension? My car feel a bit loose now after a year, especially the front.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:26 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

don't mean to divert op's thread on the gran sport (which is a lovely car - congrats to op!) with prolonging the z06 conversation here but let me reply to threads above then i will shut up:

-- over heating / limp mode issues are real... more prevalent in auto cars but manual cars flogged hard in very hot humid (>90 degrees, high humidity as in FL or TX) weather have problems too

-- gm has not really stepped up to fully address the issue... last i checked there is a radiator/add'l cooler upgrade but it is not a factory paid retrofit... they want customers to fork out $ to get it (lame, for sure)

-- my car is an early build car, i leave last 5% on the table when i track (last i checked they don't hand out prize money at DE days), torque curve of the car lets you move along very well without running at or near red line all the time, and frankly, its hard to put all the power down given the loose rear end anyway - i have not had over heating issues as a result (also norcal weather is not that hot and humid and when it is, i track my gt3's!!! )

-- i also believe gm altered the track mode steering assist programming on more recent cars... my steering is LIGHT in track mode... but i have heard many say gran sports and their z06's have pretty heavy steering but that's not what i have in my car

-- i have not pursued the shifter and suspension mods but i may going forward... i did wear out a front shock/mount after 5-6 days on track, led to big front end groan, gm replaced under warranty - i like the shifter a lot don't think i would change that, but i may well pursue aftermarket rear links to improve rear grip (the major weakness of this car imho, leaving aside cooling issues)

-- interesting emerging proposition in the new camaro zl1.... same power train, even better suspension/shocks and platform (read: no snap oversteer on throttle)... zero overheating under stress ... $25K less to buy ... but 250-300 more pounds of weight to haul around
Old 05-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Selling my Corvette because it's no fun in corners.

Can't squeeze the throttle into the apex. It's too light in the back.

If cornering is no fun then what other reason to own a sports car?

And the front brake calipers keep coming off their mounts. No kidding. It can't take the NT-01s.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Great thread, thanks for your thorough comparison!

Grand Sport manual should be good from a cooling standpoint with the improvements new for '17. New Z06 is better, but can still get pretty hot under harsh conditions. This is from the owner of a very reputable and experienced speed shop in DFW.

Besides my new .2 GT3 Oct allocation, my money would go to the new ZL1 1LE. For $70k (before the inevitable discounts down the road), it's going to stomp most any stock street car short of ACR and some hyper cars.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:54 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I am also looking at a Z06. I want a manual but am very worried about over heating issues. I want a manual. I frequently track in 90-100F weather so I am skeptical.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

This is true for early Z06

Originally Posted by kyrocks
That's what worries me. Thanks for the info.
This is why I went with the GS- bullet proof with extra cooling already. Just 188 less HP!

don't mean to divert op's thread on the gran sport (which is a lovely car - congrats to op!) with prolonging the z06 conversation here but let me reply to threads above then i will shut up:

-- over heating / limp mode issues are real... more prevalent in auto cars but manual cars flogged hard in very hot humid (>90 degrees, high humidity as in FL or TX) weather have problems too

-- gm has not really stepped up to fully address the issue... last i checked there is a radiator/add'l cooler upgrade but it is not a factory paid retrofit... they want customers to fork out $ to get it (lame, for sure)

-- my car is an early build car, i leave last 5% on the table when i track (last i checked they don't hand out prize money at DE days), torque curve of the car lets you move along very well without running at or near red line all the time, and frankly, its hard to put all the power down given the loose rear end anyway - i have not had over heating issues as a result (also norcal weather is not that hot and humid and when it is, i track my gt3's!!! )

-- i also believe gm altered the track mode steering assist programming on more recent cars... my steering is LIGHT in track mode... but i have heard many say gran sports and their z06's have pretty heavy steering but that's not what i have in my car

-- i have not pursued the shifter and suspension mods but i may going forward... i did wear out a front shock/mount after 5-6 days on track, led to big front end groan, gm replaced under warranty - i like the shifter a lot don't think i would change that, but i may well pursue aftermarket rear links to improve rear grip (the major weakness of this car imho, leaving aside cooling issues)

-- interesting emerging proposition in the new camaro zl1.... same power train, even better suspension/shocks and platform (read: no snap oversteer on throttle)... zero overheating under stress ... $25K less to buy ... but 250-300 more pounds of weight to haul around
Thanks for the info. Many Z06 early owners have similar experience.

Originally Posted by Mike Billings

And the front brake calipers keep coming off their mounts. No kidding. It can't take the NT-01s.
No worries about going off topic on the Z06, this is the same car except for the motor. So it is unfortunate that GM earned a black eye over the lack of cooling in the C7 Z06. This car, my GS, is kind of their make up exam and so far in all reviews and owner's experience they aced it. Cooling- more than enough, power- adequate, handling- much improved. I will never track my GS (because race car), but I'm comforted in the knowledge that I can beat on it at the track if I wanted to. Having said that I'm not sure of the durability of everything, but I haven't read or heard of issues from people tracking the GS so far.

Is it a GT3 replacement for the track?

Not 100%, but a fair substitute. Clearly it has the same pace based on track times in testing. I think this has been posted before, but as one example:

Both cars BTW beat the 991.1 GT3 lap time! Time marches on...

So for my purposes as a GT sports car on the street is it a good substitute for the GT3, yes! Until that is, my allocation comes in for the 991.2 GT3....
Old 05-18-2017, 11:02 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 261 Posts

Get the car set to the DSC alignment specs, and then also install a DSC controller. Ride and handling even better than stock. On track, rear end planted.
Bish
Old 05-18-2017, 11:06 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

If you have a C7 Z or GS and can't destroy pretty much any other car in your run group at an HPDE you need to have the alignment, particularly the rear caster, set to the track settings. Anyone I take for a ride in my '15 A8 Z06(7) are fairly amazed at the handling.
Bish
Old 05-18-2017, 11:10 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

A 2017 M7 Z06 now has the secondary water radiator installed and is very difficult to overheat regardless of the ambient temps. The radiator can be retrofitted to 2015/16 cars also without hurting the warranty.

All model year C7 Z06 A8 cars can still suffer from overheating especially when driven in 'D' mode. Much better to always drive in 'M' mode and 'short shift' around 5500 rpm. The torque is such that it won't slow you down much.
Bish
Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Thanks Bish

Yep set the rear camber within the range that's compatible with your choice of tire.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bish

Yep set the rear camber within the range that's compatible with your choice of tire.
Caster, that's the setting that's crucial to having the rear end planted. Many dealerships do not have the necessary adapter and digital angle gauge to set it though, so I use a local independent.
Bish
Old 05-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Had no idea about that (rear caster). Sure in the front.....
Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are not looking for just tracking this ,i would recommend the comfort seats, I feel they are the most comfortable seat for my body compared to any other sports car i've driven recently.

Just drove the car again in track mode (after a loooong time) and the z06(same suspension as gs?) feels much better now ie the suspension feels less rubbery in this setting but the steering gets too heavy and u cant adjust the steering mode while in track mode. Will check with gm if they have update.

What is DSC?

Quick Reply: In between car review: Corvette GS compared to 991.1 GT3