Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 of 1 MANUAL 991 GT3RS. THE CAR PORSCHE DIDN'T BUILD, BUT I DID!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017 | 01:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Funny- I thought Harper was soft but it takes some Cojones to go after Strickland and get the better of that exchange. Unreal that this dominated the news on "Memorial Day" which is not what they should be focusing on
Old 05-30-2017 | 02:58 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Bryce has much better hair......Werth got popped in Va doing 105 or so in the 997 GT3 RS near the Beltway and went to jail time was it, two years ago. Better Nats don't drive them.
Old 06-06-2017 | 12:49 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Any updates?

Hope newborn and mama are resting & doing well...
Old 06-07-2017 | 08:07 AM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Baby advice, when they're really young they want:

Milk > Burps > Nappy > Sleep and/or Cuddles

If they're crying it's because of one of those things, so work your way through the list from where ever you left off, and create as many efficiencies for yourself based on that list.

Changing mats, wipes, spare clothes & cot sheets etc all convenient to you. Also consider co-sleeping cots if they're difficult sleepers.

Then when you're woken up in the night you know you're ready for a fast pit stop. Because tired parenting is hard
Old 06-07-2017 | 10:49 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

In case you need some baby shirts.... (I have no affiliation of any kind with these folks, but I thought this would be appropriate)

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shir...-in-a-porsche/
Old 06-07-2017 | 12:28 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NiteJav
In case you need some baby shirts.... (I have no affiliation of any kind with these folks, but I thought this would be appropriate)

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shir...-in-a-porsche/
I like the baby shirt that says "all mommy wanted was a back rub"
Old 06-07-2017 | 02:13 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Mazel Tov!
Old 06-07-2017 | 07:30 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

According to BGB's instagram, things are progressing....
Old 06-07-2017 | 11:16 PM
aemjr
2nd Gear

This has been, by far, the most dauntingly entertaining thread ever! I'm anxiously waiting for the final outcome. I've seen on Instagram a couple of projects "Big Kev" has done, he is certainly a a proper lunatic!

Kudos to John @ BGB and RJGT3RS for embarking on this awesome journey! Modern German hotrodding at its finest.
Old 06-08-2017 | 01:40 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

looking forward to the final start up ,,, select first and out with the clutch .......awesome work
Old 06-08-2017 | 12:39 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Question

BGB feel free to chime and correct me but I have an idea of what might be going on based on my history with adding factory options to cars after they were built.

After the physical transplant the biggest hurdle is telling all the computers that this car never had PDK in the first place. That could mean recoding various computers in the car. Bigger issue is the lack of aftermarket support of these kinds of efforts. Most of the non-factory diagnostic systems are not as capable as a full blown computer at a porsche dealer with a network hook up to the mother ship. If someone had a full dump of all of Porsche's ROD files (porsche keeps these close to the vest) then it wouldn't be a tall stretch to have a reputable organization like Ross-Tech build a porsche version of their VCDS scan tool thats quite well received in the Audi/VW community. Heck I have run their scanner on my 991 and it found a bunch of things but it lacks the ROD files to fully comprehend what those codes mean.

Computers likely in question here are the engine computer, the can-bus gateway, ABS controller, Address 16 and 17 aka Steering wheel and Instruments, and likely a few others. Thankfully the car lacks distance cruise control or panic brake assist because that's something that would likely get very broken if one were to convert a PDK car to stick.

The reason they are looking for a 911R locally in florida is to likely do a full dump of all of the codes in all of the computers and play a matching game with the GT3RS. Wrong codes can temporarily brick certain systems or cause weird faults to pop up. In the Audi VW world for example you could easily tell the car it has a clutch (when it has an automatic) lets say in a D3 body A8 the binnacle would flash up some text saying press clutch to start the car. Its also a hilarious way to make your car un-startable as there is no clutch switch to trip or clutch to depress.

So this is what a sample scan dump looks like from a Porsche ABS Computer:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: None
Part No SW: 991 355 755 27 HW: 991 355 755 27
Component: PSM 9 004 1700
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 08506001XXXX
Coding: 0323
Shop #: WSC 00001 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: PSM+ 002000
ROD: N/A
VCID: 4A913EB8ED2B401222

No ASAM data for: "PSM+" (VW52)
No fault code found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the ROD file there would be more comprehensive details but in this case if they are not available, having a reference car is super helpful as one could use a text compare tool, take a dump from car 1 vs car 2 and see the delta. Deltas can exist because of different options, parking sensors versus no parking sensors etc. Or in this case PDK versus stick.

I would say this probably the most challenging part of the entire process because the physical parts fit but its a matter of telling the digital parts what the car is equipped with versus not. In crappier scenarios some vendors make versions of their canbus gateways (for example Audi does this or more like Temic does this) and you cannot change the codes to what you know is right because they flashed the hardware with code that says you are allowed to do x and y but not z, and others are flashed saying you can do y and z but not x. So unless you have the ability to re-flash the module you are stuck buying a whole new modules with a different part number to support your new add on. This was the case if you ever tried to retrofit the backup camera to a D3 body A8 that was from 2006 or earlier. You needed a 2007 gateway with an identical part number but different revision level. Same deal if you wanted distance cruise that gateway had a slightly different module software revision level from those without. Super annoying and expensive. Some stuff is easy like telling the car it has or does not have a TPMS Computer. Change two digits and you're done.

Once this car is done you definitely want to take one final dump of all of the modules and their coding prior to turning it back over to the client. Any future visits to the dealer that involve diagnostic scans could have some SVM checking computer in germany flipping out and trying to set the car back to what it had when it left the factory. Its a possibility, I know it happens more these days on the audi/vw side of the fence.
Old 06-09-2017 | 12:27 AM
1pvr
Racer

Wow, NiteJav. Interesting read.
Old 06-09-2017 | 02:50 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by 1pvr
Wow, NiteJav. Interesting read.
Very interesting!

Thanks
Old 06-09-2017 | 08:58 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Its gotten far trickier since the mid 2000's in the world of porsche 997 gen and up. Also the case with Audi and VW too. If you remember back in the 80's and 90's car stereo's were getting stolen left and right. The way to thwart it back then was to use a 4-6 digit radio code/pin. So if one were to swap a radio or even pull the battery you often needed to have the pin code handy if you wanted to listen to your tunes while you drive.

Well the modern version of that is through the use of an SVM server. When your car leaves the factory certain high theft/high value components that have related computer modules have all of their serial numbers saved with the vin number. Radio, hvac, xenon headlights etc. This info is also stored locally in the car as well. Any of those components change there is a very good chance the car goes into whats called component protection mode. It basically bricks the part you swapped until it talks to a computer at headquarters. If the dealer is doing the work no big deal as their computers are generally always connected. Anyone else and they may have done all the physical work right but the computers are not having it.

Its also why upgrading a 997.1 nav system to the 997.2 nav system is nearly impossible. Its not that it couldn't be wired up right or the fitment is off. Its because Porsche will not green light the change even though its one of their parts. Once the work is done the car sees that there is a part with a different serial number in its place and its like wtf and shuts it down until it gets a signal that says its okay. Now there are some hacker types that have figured out how to fake the all clear signal and get the component to work but again its a bit back channel.

What the manufacturers have created is both good and bad. Good because it makes certain stolen parts nearly worthless even on a global market. Bad because folks like us cannot add/upgrade things after the fact very easily.
Old 06-09-2017 | 10:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Maybe I see you at Orbit today John

Quick Reply: 1 of 1 MANUAL 991 GT3RS. THE CAR PORSCHE DIDN'T BUILD, BUT I DID!