Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparing 991.2 GT3 with prior R/RS models shows .2 superior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:43 AM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
The RS 4.0 haunted my dreams when it was $250-300k. Best package I'd ever driven and I knew I'd missed the boat. It took a long time before I could sleep soundly after that (or forgive Porsche, and again on the R!) but now I can. In fact I don't even want one, because I realized a simple fact: even if I owned one I couldn't with a clear conscience use it as intended.

Give me a 997.1 RS with a 3.9 or 4.0 motor build and some suspension. Maybe even one that's taken a hit at some point so I never need to worry about appreciation. That can be a near if not equal experience to the 4.0, but... I can drive the crap out of it and therefore get much more from it. Porsche should be first and foremost drivers cars, and appreciation is their nemesis: it fundamentally ruins that.

Unfortunately something new's keeping me up at night these days- the manual 991.2 GT3. Luckily I was smart enough to get my deposit down a couple years ago... as long as this thing doesn't appreciate like crazy (for the love of God please keep making normally manuals) I think I'll be happy...
You sir took the words right out of my mouth. As I also stated "to me" 4.0 at these prices is not worth my money. I want to drive the crap out of it and enjoy it everyday. its much more a collectors car than a drivers car. I want an everyday car i can enjoy and not worry about depreciation,stone chips.mileage etc etc.

Ive driven 997.2 gt3 and i dont think IT and the 4.0 are night and day apart. Im only guessing here because there are only 2 cars in this region and i will never get a chance to drive one i'm sure(hopefully will enjoy the .2 more with that in mind).
Old 05-06-2017, 10:46 AM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Helpful advice: don't ever ever drive one.

Now u can send me the 300k I just saved u.
There's only 2 cars in this region(have seen only 1 once at the dealers) so no chance even seeing one in public.

How big of a difference could it be to the 997.2 gt3 anyways?
Old 05-06-2017, 10:57 AM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by rave426
In 15-20 years PDK will be Atari....kinda
Id hate to see what 20 more years will do to the auto industry the way things are progressing these days.

It will be illegal to drive on the road yourself. All cars will be autonomous. High emission cars will be banned and scrapped. You will have to pay tesla for permission to drive yourself. Electric cars will rule the earth

We will all be slaves, might as well enjoy your freedom as much as you can today.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:14 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Helpful advice: don't ever ever drive one.

Now u can send me the 300k I just saved u.
The RS 4.0 haunted my dreams when it was $250-300k. Best package I'd ever driven and I knew I'd missed the boat. It took a long time before I could sleep soundly after that (or forgive Porsche, and again on the R!) but now I can. In fact I don't even want one, because I realized a simple fact: even if I owned one I couldn't with a clear conscience use it as intended.

Give me a 997.1 RS with a 3.9 or 4.0 motor build and some suspension. Maybe even one that's taken a hit at some point so I never need to worry about appreciation. That can be a near if not equal experience to the 4.0, but... I can drive the crap out of it and therefore get much more from it. Porsche should be first and foremost drivers cars, and appreciation is their nemesis: it fundamentally ruins that.

Unfortunately something new's keeping me up at night these days- the manual 991.2 GT3. Luckily I was smart enough to get my deposit down a couple years ago... as long as this thing doesn't appreciate like crazy (for the love of God please keep making normally aspirated manuals) I think I'll be happy...[/quote]

Pete.

Nice to have you back on these boards.

I was one of the lucky few that managed to get my hands on a 4.0l when they where around sticker. Bought it to track and enjoy.
As the values went up the car only saw parade laps. Still enjoy it on the road. But, the value concern is always in the back of my mind.

The solution was to buy a well maintained 996gt3 that I've always loved. (Have owned Mk1 in early 2000). When the engine has to opened it will get a sharky 3.9l upgrade.

991.2 MT will be amazing. Enjoy it!
Old 05-06-2017, 12:17 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by fun2k
I think base price from the dealer here is around 400k(as far as i know) with a few good options some owners are asking more than 500k.The spider with basic options was i believe 426k from the dealer.

How much do low mileage cars go for over there? Thinking of getting an LT with mso options. Also can u tell me if those bucket seats have height adjustment? I tried to get in one at the dealer but steering and seat cushion don't leave a lot of room to get it easily.
Depends on the specs... cars with roof scoops are still close to or above MSRP. Since there were only 23 here in the US with them. Cars without are about 10-15% down from MSRP which is a little sad to be honest.

Buckets are fixed height. However, they have 3 height settings that the dealer will have to unbolt and reboot based on your test fitting. I chose the middle height since I track it and need to fit my helmet in (I'm 5'7").
Old 05-06-2017, 12:24 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

In fact I don't even want one, because I realized a simple fact: even if I owned one I couldn't with a clear conscience use it as intended.
It really is a shame that Porsche built such a great car, only to see it turned into a total museum piece for most. Hopefully Porsche makes enough .2 GT3s so people drive them without thinking about such things.

On that note I am going to gas up my GT3 in a few minutes. We were going for a Pikes Peak run, but weather looks dodgy. We'll do the Western Dragon instead.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:34 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
It really is a shame that Porsche built such a great car, only to see it turned into a total museum piece for most. Hopefully Porsche makes enough .2 GT3s so people drive them without thinking about such things.

On that note I am going to gas up my GT3 in a few minutes. We were going for a Pikes Peak run, but weather looks dodgy. We'll do the Western Dragon instead.
I'm gonna drive mine! I had my GT4 for 6 months and dropped 1500 miles on it. (long story about selling it after 6 months - just a combination of things)

I would guess that Porsche drivers drive more than Ferrari drivers though
Old 05-06-2017, 01:42 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0

Unfortunately something new's keeping me up at night these days- the manual 991.2 GT3. Luckily I was smart enough to get my deposit down a couple years ago... as long as this thing doesn't appreciate like crazy (for the love of God please keep making normally aspirated manuals) I think I'll be happy...

to quote yoda mooty -- not driving your hot porsche is like saving your hot girlfriend for the next guy

and last i checked u still can't take ur money with you when you're done here
Old 05-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

to quote yoda mooty -- not driving your hot porsche is like saving your hot girlfriend for the next guy

Never heard this quote before but will never forget- so true
Old 05-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

There's only 2 cars in this region(have seen only 1 once at the dealers) so no chance even seeing one in public.

How big of a difference could it be to the 997.2 gt3 anyways?
Haha. Drive one and you'll have your answer but your haunting dreams may come back. A friend of mine always said "nothing good comes from driving really nice ****". That's how I'd sum up a 997 4.0. If you don't drive it, you can always tell yourself it's not much different from a 997.2 Gt3. That's prob a better opinion to have given they are $4-500k now. I couldn't bring myself to buy one now at these levels. But no way I'd sell mine even if trading 2x current values. I'll just drive it occasionally until I'm too old. Then I'll just stare at it in my garage until I'm dead. Then my daughters will sell it. So I don't really care if it's with 100k or 1,000k, but my daughters might
Old 05-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
It's no coincidence that the 4.0 I was driving was driving the crap out of belonged to Yoda himself.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:32 PM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You sir took the words right out of my mouth. As I also stated "to me" 4.0 at these prices is not worth my money. I want to drive the crap out of it and enjoy it everyday. its much more a collectors car than a drivers car. I want an everyday car i can enjoy and not worry about depreciation,stone chips.mileage etc etc.

Ive driven 997.2 gt3 and i dont think IT and the 4.0 are night and day apart. Im only guessing here because there are only 2 cars in this region and i will never get a chance to drive one i'm sure(hopefully will enjoy the .2 more with that in mind).
My pal bought a 4.0 with higher miles on purpose...just so he could drive it. Its the best thing ever...you don't feel bad about 100 miles and you can actually enjoy the car!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Haha. Drive one and you'll have your answer but your haunting dreams may come back. A friend of mine always said "nothing good comes from driving really nice ****". That's how I'd sum up a 997 4.0. If you don't drive it, you can always tell yourself it's not much different from a 997.2 Gt3. That's prob a better opinion to have given they are $4-500k now. I couldn't bring myself to buy one now at these levels. But no way I'd sell mine even if trading 2x current values. I'll just drive it occasionally until I'm too old. Then I'll just stare at it in my garage until I'm dead. Then my daughters will sell it. So I don't really care if it's with 100k or 1,000k, but my daughters might
fun2k has a fairly valid point I reckon. The 7.2rs is imo very similar to the 4.0 and I'm lucky enough to have the latter. It's nonsensical the 2 cars are so far apart now in pricing. The 4.0 is better (engine noticeably so and rear axle more stable but more subtle) but 2x or whatever it is now? No way. Outside of the x/600 plaque, the initial base price difference (15% iirc?) was more or less accurate in reflecting the difference between the cars I thought at the time and tbh in many respects I still do. If I were financially sensible I'd replace the 4.0 with the 7.2 and use the difference to load up on some differential and suspension changes truth be told but I can't quite bear to sell it either it has to be admitted. Never said I was sensible anyway
Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 PM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by isv
fun2k has a fairly valid point I reckon. The 7.2rs is imo very similar to the 4.0 and I'm lucky enough to have the latter. It's nonsensical the 2 cars are so far apart now in pricing. The 4.0 is better (engine noticeably so and rear axle more stable but more subtle) but 2x or whatever it is now? No way. Outside of the x/600 plaque, the initial base price difference (15% iirc?) was more or less accurate in reflecting the difference between the cars I thought at the time and tbh in many respects I still do. If I were financially sensible I'd replace the 4.0 with the 7.2 and use the difference to load up on some differential and suspension changes truth be told but I can't quite bear to sell it either it has to be admitted. Never said I was sensible anyway
Lets just say I wouldn't sell a 4.0 to buy a 7.2 rs but i also wouldn't sell a 7.2 rs to buy 4.0 either. Carrera GT and 4.0 are my 2 fav porsches, wouldn't mind a few pics of your car though.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:21 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a question for you guys who have a 997 4.0 purchased at msrp. If the car was still at msrp or even a bit below, would you then drive/track it more?

Quick Reply: Comparing 991.2 GT3 with prior R/RS models shows .2 superior?