Sponsored by:

Best new GT3 build for track use

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
...or somebody who will not track enough...or keep the car long enough...to go through a set of ceramics.
Don't you mean back to back for a real eval between both?

Memory is a funny thing if there is enough time is between configs: like temp, weather, tire pressure, etc, etc, etc.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
True we do have a 19" option which clears PCCB's but we only suggest it for track use only. Clearance between the caliper and the inner barrel is so fine that any debris that gets caught in the right spot will score the inner barrel of the wheel (if it's a rock for example). Most common to see is tire clag getting stuck on the barrels, but it's still a liability worth knowing about.
Interesting. I always found that I get more debris, clag during track events than street driving. What am I missing here?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Don't you mean back to back for a real eval between both?

Memory is a funny thing if there is enough time is between configs: like temp, weather, tire pressure, etc, etc, etc.
I don't know what you mean by "Don't you mean..."

Not looking for anything scientific, cost/benefit analysis, nor an iron vs. PCCB debate. Just curious if anybody likes driving them as much as I do on track...that's it.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:19 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I don't know what you mean by "Don't you mean..."

Not looking for anything scientific, cost/benefit analysis, nor an iron vs. PCCB debate. Just curious if anybody likes driving them as much as I do on track...that's it.
I think you do.

You track a car with one set of brakes (opt in this case) and then post about the std brakes and make a judgement without ever having compared the two different brake options back to back on the same model, equipped car.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
No I didn't. You are asking for a compare of the same car with different brakes evaluated by the same same person and then mention the preference of pro drivers who don't have to worry about that cost aspect. Your question/answer is hypothetical since the requirement you are asking about can virtually only be met by testers supported by outside finances or those with money who don't care.
I'm guessing you're someone who says things just to hear yourself speak...

I'm not asking a hypothetical. I'm asking people who've driven both on the track extensively what they would choose if cost was not a concern. Purely a performance question. I made the other comment in passing, though I'd argue that the pro drivers/reviewers who don't have to pay for anything are the perfect people to answer this question, because they're going to simply state which one they think is better, without even considering the cost.

But please, go back to making your typical snide comments and arguing like you do in every other thread you type in.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Putting cost aside I would track a 991rsr!
Unfortunately I have to pay for consumables so PCCB is not an option.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:12 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

^ FWIW the 991RSR has 390mm STEEL disks up front and 355mm STEEL disks out back.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:18 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Right, now with some companies refurbishing the rotors I would consider PCCB, but its not really proven yet.
I can always throw steel rotors on.

All the best drivers I know love PCCB.

Then again, we're all trying to figure out how to cram 19" on the car so we can run faster tires....

Apparently ~$4k to refurbish CCB. If demand was higher i'm sure margins would go down.

Originally Posted by GrantG
But the best iron rotors aren't made in that size and I've yet to meet someone at the track who felt the 380's with proper pads/fluid were not beyond reproach...

With the standard Red calipers, you can always use the stock 380's or add spacers and use the larger 410 rotors (including carbon-ceramic).

But with the PCCB Yellow calipers, you are stuck using the larger ones (which weigh a ton in iron)...
Irons are not meant to stray at high temp's like CCB hence you need larger to achieve maximum performance. If you ever have the chance to drive same car back to back one with pccb/ other w/ out. You WILL be able to tell the difference in feel once you start pushing. IF CCB were $2-3k for refurbishing and lasted 1.5-2 seasons, this would be the best option.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:20 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
^ FWIW the 991RSR has 390mm STEEL disks up front and 355mm STEEL disks out back.
please correct me if i'm wrong but that has to do with regulations to keep cost down.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:55 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
Oh, so I should be fine then. PCCB on rsr would just put it outside my DE budget.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:29 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Are PCCB's that fragile that if you track the car a couple of times a year you risk destroying them? How is it that Ferrari and McLaren (I believe) have them as standard equipment on their cars?

I am debating ordering them on my car and not sure if they are worth the cost.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:11 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Are PCCB's that fragile that if you track the car a couple of times a year you risk destroying them? How is it that Ferrari and McLaren (I believe) have them as standard equipment on their cars?

I am debating ordering them on my car and not sure if they are worth the cost.
They are incredible, but when a set of four replacement rotors cost over $21,000, it makes me pause. Assuming a couple of weekends of track use per year, they should last about ten years. If you are a really fast driver, it will be less.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
They are incredible, but when a set of four replacement rotors cost over $21,000, it makes me pause. Assuming a couple of weekends of track use per year, they should last about ten years. If you are a really fast driver, it will be less.
The new version of PCCB is much better. I'm only aware of one issue on a turbo S. You should be able to do a few events a year for years. One big advantage - you can go very fast on stock pads. For heavy track use, iron is definitely cheaper.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:54 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
The new version of PCCB is much better. I'm only aware of one issue on a turbo S. You should be able to do a few events a year for years. One big advantage - you can go very fast on stock pads. For heavy track use, iron is definitely cheaper.
What issue was that? I am seriously debating getting them but the one problem I see is resale value. If we assume most of the buyers of the GT3 track the car, would having PCCB's be an impediment to selling the car? And if you do sell it, would you get anywhere near your $9500 back?
Old 04-29-2017, 12:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
The large tank has to weigh more than the small tank. The question is how much more does it weigh? It would also be nice if we knew the weight of all the options. I just like to keep my cars as light as possible, regardless of whether they see the track, or not.
Did you know that full leather is actually lighter Than plastic?.. CXX person went through the whole explanation with me last week, basically when they do full leather, the combo of that and the substrate over which it's stretched weigh less than the finished plastic dash etc.

Quick Reply: Best new GT3 build for track use