Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 NY Auto show impression w Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:19 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Like mclaren... whole car comes up.. Effin genius.
Except you need 3 clicks on the lever and 20 seconds for the car to raise on a McLaren, which is practically unusable in real life.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fally
Car was rotating to view all angles of GT3. I took clear pictures of all angles. Car looked amazing as seen in all pictures from all angles.

I know they really improved and changed areo underneath car and this car shows it in real life. This car is very low in person. Amazing stance. Looks amazing. One concern.. Very low ground clearance especially in the rear of car. This is not easy to spot from pictures. Its low in front ( front axel lift a must in NY ), but my concern is the rear diffuer clearance. I actually got down on the floor in middle of show and wedged my cell phone between diffuer and floor. Snapped a picture too. My cell phone with case is just under 3" in width. Does this mean the rear diffuser will not clear 3"? **Please dont yell at me**
I spoke with one of the Porsche engineers on the floor discreetly and mentioned the ground clearance. He told me that the same rear diffusers are on 911r and many of the buyers had them removed to solve this issue.

Any lucky 911r guys out there have any feedback on this?

I am not trying to be a jerk. I love this car and want an allocation. Im just stating what I saw today.

Ill post a few pics I took today later when I get a chance.

All in all the car looks absolutly amazing and more aggressive.
I want one!
I saw you when you got down and under to take the pics. I was right next to you in a silver under armor top.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Fally
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I remember you. Haha.

I took my father to event and he thought I was crazy for laying underneath car in front of all VIP Porsche PCA members while everyone was forming a line to sit inside the GT3. He said I was laying underneath car with my legs bent a knee while the line of people was actually forming around me. Haha.
Even though my father thought I was crazy, like a great father he is he gave me his phone to take pictures of my cell phone wedged between rear diffuser and floor to measure ground clearance. We had a great day together at a great NY Auto show!

Originally Posted by RajDatta
I saw you when you got down and under to take the pics. I was right next to you in a silver under armor top.

Last edited by Fally; 04-15-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:20 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like the rear bumper lower lip has screen on it. Is it the same as the front bumper air intakes? This is different from the .1 with the back lip, solid plastic. I wonder if this is just for looks or dissipate heat better?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:48 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Except you need 3 clicks on the lever and 20 seconds for the car to raise on a McLaren, which is practically unusable in real life.
Nooooo you don't.. there is a shortcut.. hold stalk up for like 2 secs, then click once.. you're trying to get into the menus.. the workaround makes it easy. You owe me money for that priceless info now :-)
Old 04-16-2017, 08:06 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Wonder how much it is to replace and ultimately becomes a consumable.
The current 911R diffuser is $560 from Suncoast, so I would imagine the new .2GT3 one would be priced around that..
Old 04-16-2017, 09:37 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I was also there. The two things that struck me from the presentation -
1. 'This is not the same motor as the RSR and GT3R. Many differences in the race motors'. This was a statement one of the presenters made in the early part of the presentation.
2. Single mass flywheel is not an option on manuals. Fitting the one from the 911r will break the crank as the 911r has a specific crank to accommodate it
Old 04-16-2017, 09:50 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Nooooo you don't.. there is a shortcut.. hold stalk up for like 2 secs, then click once.. you're trying to get into the menus.. the workaround makes it easy. You owe me money for that priceless info now :-)
LOL okay it takes 2 clicks and 18 seconds. You got me.

In all seriousness, exactly how long does it take from start to finish for the car to raise, or lower? My number one source for everything McLaren (i.e. YouTube lol) showed a pretty long cycle time.

Edit: Found it. It takes 10 seconds to lift and 13 seconds to lower, once you clicked the lever twice. So 11 to 14 seconds in real life. Obviously not a show-stopper when buying one, but that is a LONG time to lift the car. Porsche nailed this one. But full lift would be nice, although i have not needed it.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:26 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
LOL okay it takes 2 clicks and 18 seconds. You got me.

In all seriousness, exactly how long does it take from start to finish for the car to raise, or lower? My number one source for everything McLaren (i.e. YouTube lol) showed a pretty long cycle time.

Edit: Found it. It takes 10 seconds to lift and 13 seconds to lower, once you clicked the lever twice. So 11 to 14 seconds in real life. Obviously not a show-stopper when buying one, but that is a LONG time to lift the car. Porsche nailed this one. But full lift would be nice, although i have not needed it.
I can't argue with what a magazine says, but during the past year I've bizarrely had the opportunity to drive a p1 and 675LT for almost 1000 miles, from driving from LA to SF in the mclaren rally, to multiple track days, to long haul 2 trips in SE to car events. In both cars I found that the system was much faster than this.. and the double click up takes what feels like very few seconds. These are both cars with expensive carbon extended chins and rear diffusers, and both belonged to a friend so I was always extra cautious, but I never once touched a curb or had to approach driveways at crazy angles. I do think the 570s system is a more traditional front lift, and that seems to require a little extra care especially when backing out of Ramps. It's kind of a non-issue for the fully-automatic suspension mclarens however. I'm heading back from for a big road trip next week and will pay more attention.. will have someone sit outside and count while we raise and lower one to see.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:35 AM
robmypro
Race Director

I can't argue with what a magazine says, but during the past year I've bizarrely had the opportunity to drive a p1 and 675LT for almost 1000 miles, from driving from LA to SF in the mclaren rally, to multiple track days, to long haul 2 trips in SE to car events. In both cars I found that the system was much faster than this.. and the double click up takes what feels like very few seconds. These are both cars with expensive carbon extended chins and rear diffusers, and both belonged to a friend so I was always extra cautious, but I never once touched a curb or had to approach driveways at crazy angles. I do think the 570s system is a more traditional front lift, and that seems to require a little extra care especially when backing out of Ramps. It's kind of a non-issue for the fully-automatic suspension mclarens however. I'm heading back from for a big road trip next week and will pay more attention.. will have someone sit outside and count while we raise and lower one to see.
Half your luck on those drives! Maybe the review i watched (Shmee - don't hold it against me) was with a different model, or older tech? No idea, but if you had that experience over 1,000 miles obviously the lift system isn't a problem. It just struck me in the video that it took that long. Your first-hand knowledge is much more valid than my Shmee video.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:55 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
2. Single mass flywheel is not an option on manuals. Fitting the one from the 911r will break the crank as the 911r has a specific crank to accommodate it
I think 991R has the same crank as the .1 RS. Per AP, the crank in the .2 has been redesigned, now much thicker to accommodate integrated oil jets. Because of the redesign, single mass flywheel won't work. This is per AP.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:17 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pictures; such a beautiful car. I'm interested in hearing the exhaust. I heard some noises online and at the Porsche USA website, but its not clear to me how it really sounds.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:45 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

honestly I can't really tell the difference between a GT3 and an RS other than the zing vs whooshy side intake noise while driving...GT3 has no whoosh. These engines all sound good
Old 04-17-2017, 04:45 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

it's nice to have someone else with experience in these cars on the board

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 NY Auto show impression w Pictures