Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Control Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Bronson is right. The only thing left now is going through the motions. If they want to do the coils and plugs, i guess it will only take one trip around the block to know that isn't going to fix it. New engine is unlikely, but let's see how this plays out.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:28 PM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just heard back from the SA. Same CYL4 misfire so the engine is going be pulled to take the photos. Unfortunately, the only tech the SA trusts with this work is going on training for a week so won't be getting any updates until mid next week. She did give me a choice: Wait for the guy that knows what he is doing, or take a gamble with a tech that has never done something like this before. Painful, but easy choice to make.
They did gave me a new brand new Macan to keep me occupied. I'll make sure to share the photos of the engine once they are available.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:46 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

seems P will make this right, just sucks though. lets us know what they did if you have time.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by urban2k
I'd like to know what stage I'm in, if you know what I mean.

Also, this time when I restarted the engine the warning message disappeared. I hope they can still see the errors when they pull the logs though.
They will open your engine and send pictures to PAG. Then you'll get rebuild (most likely) or new engine (if you're very lucky).

If they will rebuild it, prepare to drive a loaner Macan for 2 to 3 months. Your car will most likely be ready in July. Sorry to say.

If you'll get a new engine, your car will probably be ready in second part of May.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:24 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by urban2k
Just heard back from the SA. Same CYL4 misfire so the engine is going be pulled to take the photos. Unfortunately, the only tech the SA trusts with this work is going on training for a week so won't be getting any updates until mid next week. She did give me a choice: Wait for the guy that knows what he is doing, or take a gamble with a tech that has never done something like this before. Painful, but easy choice to make.

They did gave me a new brand new Macan to keep me occupied. I'll make sure to share the photos of the engine once they are available.
Well, now you wait. When the tech gets back see if you can get some of the photos they send to Porsche. We would like to see what the top end wear looks like, given the miles you have. Also, whatever Porsche decides to do (top end or new engine) see if you can get lots of pictures. We would like to know if there are any new parts involved, or possibly a new engine rev.

We might find the data useful, especially Macca.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:26 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OP hope you get a new engine
Old 04-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Nine1won
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

Just got the engine control fault as well this weekend coming back from LS...Heading to the dealer. It said driving was permitted and I didn't lose any power. So hopefully, not as bad.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nine1won
Just got the engine control fault as well this weekend coming back from LS...Heading to the dealer. It said driving was permitted and I didn't lose any power. So hopefully, not as bad.
In an RS?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:37 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Stop the presses right? I thought RS was immune from this or maybe enough time hasn't passed yet.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Stop the presses right? I thought RS was immune from this or maybe enough time hasn't passed yet.
Not conclusive that this is a top end issues, but if it is this is the best news I have heard in a while. GT3, GT3 RS and 911 R's will all suffer from this at some point, and that means Porsche will be fixing this out of warranty for a very long time.

Safety in numbers.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Not conclusive that this is a top end issues, but if it is this is the best news I have heard in a while. GT3, GT3 RS and 911 R's will all suffer from this at some point, and that means Porsche will be fixing this out of warranty for a very long time.

Safety in numbers.
^^^Bingo
Old 04-17-2017, 09:04 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2 things:
1. May be an idea to start a new thread with RS issues, esp. since they've been treated as "immune" to the issue, as have the G-motors.... guess that's not the case....more just a matter of time passing and more failures occurring.

2. We have no idea if the top end rebuild is actually correcting the issue, or if it just "resets" your engine to new and then it's just a matter of time before failure....i.e. the old "rinse--repeat" cycle.

PORSCHE NEEDS TO STEP UP AND OFFICIALLY EXTEND ALL WARRANTIES TO 100K MILES ON THE ENGINE, AND/OR ACKNOWLEDGE THE PROBLEM AND TELL US WHAT IT IS THEY ARE ACTUALLY DOING IN THE TOP END REBUILD TO KEEP THE PROBLEM FROM HAPPENING AGAIN.
I'm tired of hearing the dealers deny the issue when they clearly know it is there. Personally I've started looking into the McLaren 570S...it is now on my radar.

(Anything short of Porsche acknowledging the problem and clearly presenting a solution is simply undermining our confidence in the brand and clearly diminishes the desirability and value of these cars in the secondary market)
Old 04-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Fast Doc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just had all plugs replaced as I had a misfire in cylinder 6 ( E engine)

My question is will it invariably be a top end rebuild or new engine, or does replacing the plugs fix it?

i do not have another track day for a couple of months, I have hit 9000 revs couple of times since the plugs have been replaced and all good so far
Old 04-17-2017, 09:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine1won
Perhaps it would be a good idea to wait and hear from Nine1won...see if that's the case with his RS? It could be other things you know...
Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
Perhaps it would be a good idea to wait and hear from Nine1won...see if that's the case with his RS? It could be other things you know...
Exactly Nick. We don't want to jump the gun on this. It could be something else.

Quick Reply: Engine Control Fault