991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Allocation BS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017 | 12:40 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Unless there is a corporate policy that selling above MSRP is not allowed and will be enforced, these arguments are moot. We are a capitalist society and owners should be free to do what they believe will enhance their profits and business.

What is particularly troublesome about most of the arguments against dealers and buyers paying above MSRP is we are upset with not being able to get allocations on a coveted car. Nothing more. If one can't get an allocation move on. None of us are entitled to anything let alone a silly allocation. No need to attacked the entire structure and the people within it.
Old 04-08-2017 | 02:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Mr Whale- while I did have initially a partner in the McLaren AZ Store who's goal was to max out that margin, my goal (and you can ask Martin, Chris or any of my other customers or people I bought from, sold to) was just to do honest transactions.

Historically- GT buyers have been VERY rational. But now, the market is more competitive because of the money lending and the paddle shift crowd which has attracted BOTTLE POPPERS to the GT car world. It was NOT like that in 2007 or 2011. In 07 cars were hard to get. Low production numbers. Now, they make enough cars that all of us can get one and half the Lambo guys got one.

I didn't buy any cars from dealerships except 1. All the other cars I bought through rennlist.

Case in point: Martin wanted a UV RS. I was offered one in trade for my personal 4.0RS. I took the trade, charged Martin 2500 and shipping and brought the car to his door from across the country.

I told all of my guys what I bought for and generally ONLY found them cars after a specific request.

Yes some customers make dumb decisions, some companies make bad cars, and some dealers screw people over hunting for short term gains. Buying 4 RS's and then trying to flip them as a regular citizen is a headache. Pontiac as a whole makes awful cars. The Ferrari California is a dud. And some dealers recently refunded deposits and said "sorry we are seeking to max the sale price so good luck".

If you pull an allocation from a customer and auction it off (because you've got a big allocation and other dealers don't) then you're a jerk. Don't worry I've said all this during my dealership interviews in Atlanta.
AH... hello...
PONTIAC makes bad cars? do you not watch knight rider? KITT was a good car!!!

i speak what i know. i am aware of the RS4.0 transaction b/n CJ's shop and martin. it is transparent as CJ claimed.

i also bought several and sold several p cars to CJ, as well as other dealers. they are business, and yes, they resell at a profit. but for the cars i sold them, and seeing how much they sold for, they are not making much. whatever you think their profit is, divide it by 2. sometimes even less. how do i know? b/c i sold them some of my cars. mostly not RS and not over msrp.

i think there's a confusion amongst RLsters.
some are unhappy b/c high premium
some are unhappy b/c the "hidden" nature of the dealers
i PERSONALLY have had the following experience

carlsen porsche ofered me msrp RS in 08. i ordered to spec, went in to pick up car upon arrival. about the sign the doc. saw a $35,000 mkt adjustment. no one told me avbout it. it was a msrp car until that day. THAT'S NOT RIGHT.

carlsen porsche quoted me X for my car in trade. they saw the car the day before. when i took it in the next day they deemded it 5k less.. THAT IS NOT RIGHT

Lithia porsche of monterey: took $4000 in deposit for next RS, they then refunded the deposit (to all their depositors, not just me) unilaterally without any email, or phone call or discussion. this is breach of contract and is NOT RIGHT.

Sneider Nelson Porsche changed ownership and apparently my deposit is no longer giving me a RS AND apparently the new account cannot find my $500 deposit. presumably someone somewhere had a good dinner with my money, that IS NOT RIGHT.

i can go on...

i dont mind ppl making money. no one forces me to spend my money with anyone but i have serious issues with LIES or things are generally NOT RIGHT. just like if my kid had an arguemnt with another kid at school and punched him out. big deal. i wil have a talk with him and help him understand his own issue avbout violence, kids fight. if my kid got into a gang fight (like 10 kids beating on 10 kids) now THAT is not the usual kids fighting, that's serious issue.

the point is you have to look at the general picture.

there is a reason why dealers are stereotyped as STEALERS. no , some are good dealers. but there is a reason why there's a stereotype. just like there are bad doctors. but usually you dont think doctors as a**hole like you do with dealers..... why is that?????

CJ made a transparent system and some will not get a car from him. but at least you know that if he said you are get4ting one or not getting one. yes, i will get a car from CJ, but there were 2 other cars i wanted which i will not be able to get from him. that's fine. he told me all that. while other dealers told me there were NO CARS available. and guess what, they called my freind and sold him the NON EXISTING car for $40k over, the GT car world is pretty small. the serial GT car owners know where the car sold from to whom at what prices. so we know when dealers are lying.

another ex: usctrojan had msrp RS promise from a non CA dealer. he never got the dcar b/c repoertedly that dealer didnt get the RS..... well, without knowing martin was in line. our group got offered that RS at a high premium., all this time that car was promised to trojan... THE DEALER LIED to trojan TNHAT IS NOT RIGHT.

sorry extra type. but i am a little ticked off.
Old 04-08-2017 | 03:06 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

See, the whole flipping cars thing is for a few different reasons:

Paddleshift brought in all the moron ferrari guys that were getting clobbered for 100-150k ADMs on their cars.

hahaha, another reason to be glad for the manual
Old 04-08-2017 | 03:16 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

I did buy my UV RS through CJ and it was one of the easiest, most transparent transactions I've ever had. CJ let me know that he was working on acquiring an UV RS since I let him know I wanted one and I jumped at the chance at getting it when he offered it to me. I made calls and let my local dealers know that I wanted an RS and would even be willing to pay a reasonable mark-up....what'd I get? Lies and crickets (see Mooty's post above). There is a reason why I am the stealer basher on here and will make it a mission of mine on here. My side real estate is all based upon taking care of my customers and establishing relationships with them so I know what a win-win relationship should be. For what Auto Gallery did during the RS frenzy, I will continue to bash on those vampires any chance that I can get on here. Those scumbags deserve to be put out of business.

Good dealers to get more business and dealers that lie and BS and don't take care of their good local customers should lose business, simple as that. CJ is a stand-up guy and doing things the right way at all his dealerships. His approach is refreshing and I will do whatever I can to help his dealerships grow because I believe that people who do business the right way deserve to be rewarded with more business (both repeat and referral business). Just how I give commission rebates to my customers (where most all realtors don't), CJ is also doing things differently than most all other dealers and will benefit in the long term.
Old 04-08-2017 | 03:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
CJ

I'm always....
Let's do this. Stop hiding behind your handle and come clean on who you are. CJ isn't, neither is PNH, etc who are on the board. C'mon, represent the store you're with. Hopefully you're the GM or owner and not a pee-on sales rep with an opinion.
Old 04-08-2017 | 04:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jon70
As long as interest rates are low (although they are rising), I'll finance the most allowed especially at the 1.99% I got on my RS. I'd finance the whole thing if I could. I'll take the money I would have had to use to purchase the car and invest it in the market instead. Odds are I'll easily beat 2% over the course of the year. Accounting for the capital gains tax, I'll won't even have to get a 3% return on my investment to outperform the loan. There are no guarantees in the market, but I'll always take my chances at that rate.
I wasn't referring to people who do it by choice. I was referring to people who do it by necessity. In my very conservative grew-up-poor opinion, if one has to finance a high dollar sports car, they really shouldn't own a high dollar sports car. Fiscally irresponsible. But again, just my opinion. But the point of my comment wasn't to preach, it was more just to say that I was shocked to hear that more than a small percentage of buyers are financing these things by necessity.
Old 04-08-2017 | 04:18 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trk8
Weasels=dealerships
Woe!!
Old 04-08-2017 | 05:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Mr Whale- while I did have initially a partner in the McLaren AZ Store who's goal was to max out that margin, my goal (and you can ask Martin, Chris or any of my other customers or people I bought from, sold to) was just to do honest transactions.

Historically- GT buyers have been VERY rational. But now, the market is more competitive because of the money lending and the paddle shift crowd which has attracted BOTTLE POPPERS to the GT car world. It was NOT like that in 2007 or 2011. In 07 cars were hard to get. Low production numbers. Now, they make enough cars that all of us can get one and half the Lambo guys got one.

I didn't buy any cars from dealerships except 1. All the other cars I bought through rennlist.

Case in point: Martin wanted a UV RS. I was offered one in trade for my personal 4.0RS. I took the trade, charged Martin 2500 and shipping and brought the car to his door from across the country.

I told all of my guys what I bought for and generally ONLY found them cars after a specific request.

Yes some customers make dumb decisions, some companies make bad cars, and some dealers screw people over hunting for short term gains. Buying 4 RS's and then trying to flip them as a regular citizen is a headache. Pontiac as a whole makes awful cars. The Ferrari California is a dud. And some dealers recently refunded deposits and said "sorry we are seeking to max the sale price so good luck".

If you pull an allocation from a customer and auction it off (because you've got a big allocation and other dealers don't) then you're a jerk. Don't worry I've said all this during my dealership interviews in Atlanta.

Thanks for your passion as an enthusiast and as a business owner. Many in the business have NO passion for it other than worried about the bottom line and an investment return. They could care less about forums and enthusiasts.

Many Porsche dealerships and the brand could be better served with some more passion injected into them which would result in increased sales and happier buyers of their cars.

It's a simple formula that many lose sight of when money starts clouding the vision.
Old 04-08-2017 | 06:29 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Woe!!
weasel comment not directed to you,directly
it was in reference to "Wind in the Willow"

This whole situation about allocation reminds me of the cartoon/movie.
Mr. Toad wants a porsche/car really badddd. . The weasels in the film "dealers" knows of the situation. I guess we have a little bit of Mr. Toad in all of us. ex. we have the money and we want something really badd. Hopefully I don't have to resort to stealing aka Mr. Toad, LOL. In this case "Art Imitates Life"
Old 04-08-2017 | 11:36 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG

Many Porsche dealerships and the brand could be better served with some more passion injected into them which would result in increased sales and happier buyers of their cars.

It's a simple formula that many lose sight of when money starts clouding the vision.
Maybe this is why Porsche is engaging Disney in a customer experience pilot in the US.
Old 04-09-2017 | 12:14 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Waxer
You can buy a Mac for msrp or discount and feel great but the 33% depreciation the first year is worse than the adms on Porsche GT cars and worse yet when you consider Porsche GT cars hold their value very well.

There is a reason Porsche GT cars carry adms and hold value and Macs sell for msrp or less and spiral down in value. Porsches are more desirable.
Old 04-09-2017 | 12:31 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by SToronto
Maybe this is why Porsche is engaging Disney in a customer experience pilot in the US.
Yes. Read that. New slogan: Have a magical car ride
Old 04-09-2017 | 07:52 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
Yes. Read that. New slogan: Have a magical car ride
Haha...true!

The dealership is "where dreams come true" but currently it isnt the "happiest place on earth" for Cali customers.
Old 04-09-2017 | 08:26 AM
Bullitt44
Rennlist Member

No big deal to me if you can get the car you want as 2 years is just a hunny moon if you actually wanted the car. After one year you get your title back and worse case you are on that dealers black list. If the car is as good as advertised why would you sell within a year unless you are a flipper.

Page out of the Ferrari book.
Old 04-09-2017 | 12:19 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trk8
weasel comment not directed to you,directly
it was in reference to "Wind in the Willow"

This whole situation about allocation reminds me of the cartoon/movie.
Mr. Toad wants a porsche/car really badddd. . The weasels in the film "dealers" knows of the situation. I guess we have a little bit of Mr. Toad in all of us. ex. we have the money and we want something really badd. Hopefully I don't have to resort to stealing aka Mr. Toad, LOL. In this case "Art Imitates Life"

Quick Reply: More Allocation BS