991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Allocation BS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017 | 08:37 PM
Porschmich
Instructor

Have to keep the car for 2 years? Why that is terrible. How about all the Porsche guys who love these cars but as I read. Have to sell because the wife just had a baby, no more room in the garage, not driving it enough and want to sell it to someone who is going to drive the car. etc... etc.. Still selling for way over MSRP.
What are all those poor guys going to do?
Old 04-04-2017 | 08:39 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signes
This was exactly my thought. Would never trust an open commitment like that without some guardrails/specifics on what "depreciated" means.
It's probably a standard thing, like 5-year double declining balance (which depreciates an asset by roughly 2/3 in 2 years)
Old 04-04-2017 | 08:41 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It's probably a standard thing, like 5-year double declining balance (which depreciates an asset by roughly 2/3 in 2 years)
Kind of what I think they have in mind. Also what's with the lien? Screw that.

At least they aren't pursuing the FGT and LFA approaches.
Old 04-04-2017 | 08:57 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I see. I'm torn between 570 LT and 720 LT (I don't mind the looks), assuming I do not get the next 2/3 RS. 570 if I keep tracking a street car, and 720 if it's a weekend car.
A 570LT would be interesting. I haven't heard anything about it.

Originally Posted by mehoff
I was assuming the cars had to be sold at MSRP. If not, I agree the lifetime ban for a flipper works better. Has managed to keep Ferrari owners in line.
The cars are sold at MSRP. Ferrari sells at MSRP, but keeps really close tabs on its owners, and it seems to work.

Originally Posted by SToronto
Is it guaranteed allocation for delivery this year?
Nope. I forgot to mention that they also wanted a $5k deposit.

Originally Posted by bronson7
How long ago did your friend contact this dealer? Was he guaranteed an allocation and if he was, there could be a lineup outside the door wanting one. Like you said, if planning on keeping it for more than two years, it's a no-brainer.
About a month ago, then got this new agreement. I'm pretty sure he'd keep the car, it would be his first Porsche and he tracks with us from time to time. Given his lack of Porsche ownership, I think it would be better to just make him a very low priority.

Originally Posted by tstafford
Is the McLaren able to handle the workload of regular track use?
I doubt it. I know about a dozen people who've owned a McLaren, and only one kept his car. Each owner has had their car in service for extended periods of time.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
The undetermined depreciation buyback clause is interesting, as it seems to be completely arbitrary, with no market to reference. How can Porsche decide what that car will be worth when others of similar age/mileage might still sell at MSRP or over?
Exactly. All of these items were conveniently not addressed. After trade-in at some depreciated amount, does this mean that the dealership would turn around and still sell it for $100k over MSRP as they do now?
Old 04-04-2017 | 09:21 PM
Superfans
Racer

Well, if your friend doesn't like the terms imposed by the dealership, wouldn't it be easier for him to go visit another one?
Old 04-04-2017 | 10:33 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Porsche needs to open more tons of own stores like Tesla in US. Dealership is an outdated model (makes no sense to have a middle man in today's connected world) Wow, you Canadians have your own official Porsche store where one can buy cars.
Old 04-04-2017 | 10:54 PM
Tangerine
Pro

I would happily give the dealership a year or two of first right of refusal to buy it--at MSRP. If the dealer declined MSRP, then it's not a situation where people are flipping, so the flipping protection argument is invalid.

If it was just that it would be a complete non-issue--I would want the car to enjoy. If for some reason I didn't like it, or had to sell it for financial reasons or whatever--then back to the dealer.

I'd be happy if the dealers worked out something like this--I think CJ was talking a bit about this. Figure out a way to get cars in the hands of those who enjoy them and eliminate the flippers. People who (intentionally) flip are scum, nothing more than parasites. Porsche doesn't benefit, dealers don't benefit, owners don't benefit.
Old 04-04-2017 | 10:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by shizzle
^Yup. PAG owns this dealership. All the other Toronto area dealers are actually suing PAG over them opening their own store.

I agree for non-flippers it's a non-issue, but what if you decide to go from GT3 to an RS once it's released?
Then you trade it back to them at depreciated value and buy a new RS from them at MSRP. How are you harmed? I'd sign that contract in a NY minute if it'd get me an allocation.
Old 04-04-2017 | 11:31 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by CAlexio
The undetermined depreciation buyback clause is interesting, as it seems to be completely arbitrary, with no market to reference. How can Porsche decide what that car will be worth when others of similar age/mileage might still sell at MSRP or over?
Simple, they use the same depreciation schedule when you lease a GT3.
Old 04-04-2017 | 11:40 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

I'm of the same thinking as you - cars are for driving not investing. If they gave me a PTS allocation, i'd totally sign that agreement. That being said, if some stupid guy offered me $100k over MSRP for my car a year later, i'd take it!
Guys, Canada deals directly with the factory not PCNA and that is why they have so many PTS cars...
Old 04-04-2017 | 11:56 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Guys, Canada deals directly with the factory not PCNA and that is why they have so many PTS cars...
If I'm not mistaken we deal with PCC (Porsche Cars Canada), not directly to the factory. Atleast that's what I was once told.
Old 04-05-2017 | 12:31 AM
SKY57
Instructor

Lol, man your friend is lucky.
Other dealership may as well ask you to trade back the GT3 if you want an RS.

My experience:
Once the sales guy in Porsche North Toronto knows I am not a current Porsche owner, he didn't even bother return my email or giving me any further details.
Yes this is a corporate store, but as long as there is a sales guy in between, same BS goes on and on.

I have a deposit in the largest Canadian Porsche dealership 2 years ago, now I have been asked to buy another Porsche and trade right back in exchange for the GT3 allocation; or sponsor their racing team.

Now I'm thinking of McLaren and Lamborghini too. They are friendly to new customers. You don't have to bend over and beg to spend your money.
Old 04-05-2017 | 12:41 AM
SKY57
Instructor

I actually disagree. All this does is pad the profits of the dealers, especially in Toronto. With the inflated prices, flippers will have incentives to work around this agreement. If you look around up here, its the dealers who've been keeping the prices extraordinarily high, and this is their new way of gouging. Dealers have the tools to know exactly who the exporters/flippers are up here since we're a small market, but they don't say anything as long as they get their profits. If they amended the agreement such that there was a right of first refusal for the dealer on the car for 2 years, and if the car is flipped in under 1 year, a lifetime ban on new GT allocations for that person.
Toronto Porsche dealers push the GT3 and GT3RS pricing sky high. Most of the RS have been in the lot for over 8 months. I was told by one of the sales guy that they pay $300K for all GT3RS trade in coz it is the MARKET PRICE.
How could you say that with a straight face? LMAO

You set the price, but no one buys the car. How do you call this market price?
Old 04-05-2017 | 12:44 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SKY57
Toronto Porsche dealers push the GT3 and GT3RS pricing sky high. Most of the RS have been in the lot for over 8 months. I was told by one of the sales guy that they pay $300K for all GT3RS trade in coz it is the MARKET PRICE.
How could you say that with a straight face? LMAO

You set the price, but no one buys the car. How do you call this market price?
Interesting to see what these RS's eventually sell for?
Old 04-05-2017 | 01:47 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I would happily give the dealership a year or two of first right of refusal to buy it--at MSRP. If the dealer declined MSRP, then it's not a situation where people are flipping, so the flipping protection argument is invalid.

If it was just that it would be a complete non-issue--I would want the car to enjoy. If for some reason I didn't like it, or had to sell it for financial reasons or whatever--then back to the dealer.

I'd be happy if the dealers worked out something like this--I think CJ was talking a bit about this. Figure out a way to get cars in the hands of those who enjoy them and eliminate the flippers. People who (intentionally) flip are scum, nothing more than parasites. Porsche doesn't benefit, dealers don't benefit, owners don't benefit.
I'd be totally fine with giving the dealer that sells me a GT cars at MSRP the right to get my car back within 2 years (even by putting a lien on the car). I totally agree with you, that would eliminate flipping.

Quick Reply: More Allocation BS