Sponsored by:

2015 GT3: One Year Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:24 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Rob, if your cabinets were damaged, let new age know. They will send you a brand new one, no questions asked. This happened to a buddy of mine. I think new age is the best value out there and love mine.

In regards to sound plus, I'm not an audiophile either, but I think the system is all that I could want. It's pure heaven compared to the base system like I have in the GT4, which sounds so bad it is barely usable.
Hey Joe, thanks for the info on NewAge. Definitely a great value. I went around and around with them, and the last damaged cabinet they could not replace because they had discontinued that line. They knocked $500 (i think) off the entire order, and I just moved on. I think i had 3 cabinets damaged in all. Not their fault. The shipping company was pretty bad.

As far as the audio goes, you said it right. It is all i would want, too. Anything more would just be a waste in this car. I wonder if what we have is somehow different from qbix? Or maybe his system is damaged?
Old 04-03-2017, 11:28 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by qbix
I have stopped reading this otherwise great beginning review when you stated that the Sound Package Plus is a great sounding system and you like good quality systems in cars.

To me as I have also SPP it is utter rubbish. It is so bad that I don't even turn it on again. And I don't have sensitive ears by any means.
Darn. You missed the $5,000 giveaway at the end!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:44 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Hey Joe, thanks for the info on NewAge. Definitely a great value. I went around and around with them, and the last damaged cabinet they could not replace because they had discontinued that line. They knocked $500 (i think) off the entire order, and I just moved on. I think i had 3 cabinets damaged in all. Not their fault. The shipping company was pretty bad.

As far as the audio goes, you said it right. It is all i would want, too. Anything more would just be a waste in this car. I wonder if what we have is somehow different from qbix? Or maybe his system is damaged?
Bummer about the cabinets. You must have gotten the last batch before they switched over to the new 2.0 models (which are even better). Hopefully the damage is minor and not obvious.

Yup, any fancier Audio would be a waste, but that is why I'm not an audiophile. I'm sure the audiophiles think it sounds terrible, but at the same time I think it's the wrong car to enjoy a good Audio system in.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:53 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Bummer about the cabinets. You must have gotten the last batch before they switched over to the new 2.0 models (which are even better). Hopefully the damage is minor and not obvious.

Yup, any fancier Audio would be a waste, but that is why I'm not an audiophile. I'm sure the audiophiles think it sounds terrible, but at the same time I think it's the wrong car to enjoy a good Audio system in.
You must be right about them switching to the 2.0 models. It is not too bad. I can live with it. Regarding the audio, agree 100%.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice review from someone still head over heels after a year, which is great.

Now I for one am NOT convinced Porsche will "own" this problem, as I have seen too many times over the recent years where they seemed to wash their hands over issues Some examples include:

Rear main seals
IMS
Plastic cooling parts becoming unglued
Centerlock wheels

So when they issue a warranty extension for all the engines, I'll become a believer
Old 04-03-2017, 04:45 PM
tono
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review and nice pictures. I love my '14 991 GT3. Its on an "F" engine and so far so good. Like you, I drive my car quite often on the streets and have close to 10k miles on it (only a 10 mile commute to work sadly). However, where these cars shine is on the track, were its so capable and forgiving. Very different from my 997.1 GT3 which would bite you in the a$$ with minimal warning.....
Old 04-03-2017, 05:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shark
Nice review from someone still head over heels after a year, which is great.

Now I for one am NOT convinced Porsche will "own" this problem, as I have seen too many times over the recent years where they seemed to wash their hands over issues Some examples include:

Rear main seals
IMS
Plastic cooling parts becoming unglued
Centerlock wheels

So when they issue a warranty extension for all the engines, I'll become a believer
Thanks! I believe everyone will need to follow their own path on this, and have their own comfort level. Until the first car has issues out of warranty, there are no guarantees. I for one think Porsche will not be able to look the other way, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by tono
Great review and nice pictures. I love my '14 991 GT3. Its on an "F" engine and so far so good. Like you, I drive my car quite often on the streets and have close to 10k miles on it (only a 10 mile commute to work sadly). However, where these cars shine is on the track, were its so capable and forgiving. Very different from my 997.1 GT3 which would bite you in the a$$ with minimal warning.....
Agreed! They are track monsters. Not even fair.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I was very happy with the NewAge cabinets I installed last year and whoever buys my house this Spring will enjoy them for years to come...
Old 04-03-2017, 05:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I was very happy with the NewAge cabinets I installed last year and whoever buys my house this Spring will enjoy them for years to come...
That's awesome. It was too bad that the shipping company caused so much grief for me. But they do look and work well.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:05 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Darn. You missed the $5,000 giveaway at the end!
Sorry buddy, it was a great read regardless this little stereo glitch ! Appreciated that on my long working day.

I never owned top end hi-fi system in any of my cars. Always going the middle option. Some really ok, some pretty bad. For reference HK in F15 X5 is a very decent system, performing well for me so you see that I am not any audiophile.

But again this SPP is really that bad. It is OK to listen to the news but no way any music.
I hope that the Bose in .2 option will be good so I could configure it even if I would listen to a music once in a while. I don't care the weight penalty. Unfortunately it won't be any good. I had a reference ride in Cayenne recently with Bose system and that was not satisfying. Cayenne is a much easier platform to extract good sound just because it is so much better insulated.
GT3 is almost an empty shell so it's not gonna work.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

That's awesome. It was too bad that the shipping company caused so much grief for me. But they do look and work well.
did you install those yourself rob? Order through Costco?

im looking into cabinets for the garage and those look great.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:36 AM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

Great write. Everything said I relate. Amazing machine the GT3
Old 04-04-2017, 02:31 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Sorry buddy, it was a great read regardless this little stereo glitch ! Appreciated that on my long working day.

I never owned top end hi-fi system in any of my cars. Always going the middle option. Some really ok, some pretty bad. For reference HK in F15 X5 is a very decent system, performing well for me so you see that I am not any audiophile.

But again this SPP is really that bad. It is OK to listen to the news but no way any music.
I hope that the Bose in .2 option will be good so I could configure it even if I would listen to a music once in a while. I don't care the weight penalty. Unfortunately it won't be any good. I had a reference ride in Cayenne recently with Bose system and that was not satisfying. Cayenne is a much easier platform to extract good sound just because it is so much better insulated.
No need to say sorry. Your opinion is just as valid as mine, or anyone else. Glad you liked the rest of the review. Sounds like the Bose won't move the bar very much either, not that many were expecting it to. I guess i am just glad i like mine. Lucky!

Originally Posted by Buteo
did you install those yourself rob? Order through Costco?

im looking into cabinets for the garage and those look great.
Hey buddy, yep ordered through Costco and installed with some help from a guy that did some work around the house. They are big, heavy and a pain to mount. Depending on what you order, be prepared when the shipping company rocks up. You going to have some help? If not let me know and we can tackle it. I have plenty of tools.

Originally Posted by Princealidds
Great write. Everything said I relate. Amazing machine the GT3
Thanks. Best ever!
Old 05-02-2017, 10:52 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

GT3 newbie here as well. Its funny how so many of our opinions vary regarding SPP. Awesome car but I have to agree that SPP is really bad! I thought the BOSE in my previous 991.1S sounded really good but I would rate SPP in the GT3 as unlistenable. Good thing the engine makes up for it!
Old 05-03-2017, 11:07 AM
fun2k
Racer

I agree one of the best looking 911s ever built. I prefer the interior of the 997.2 over this though.

Thinking of getting seat backs in leather for the .2, still undecided if they are really worth it??

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3: One Year Review