Sponsored by:

if money's the same...R, 4.0RS, or GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 03:28 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
The RSs are be-winged, "race-cars for the road", except they're not. They are miles off the pace of even a low-level race car as anyone who has driven one will tell you. They are fantastic cars, and great to own, but they are in many ways, exhilarating pretenders to the real thing, (in my opinion, no disrespect...!)

The R is for the road, and it is the real thing in that environment. That's its habitat and it rules there, for me. (And is also fun on track especially when passing RS ;-)).
I'd agree, the RS are pretenders to the real thing (ie one of the motorsport cars) but in the 6 or 7 gt3 at least, they were cars that imo to a greater or lesser degree recall something of the relevant generation's motorsport cars' driving experience. That aspect is imo now lost in the 991 gt3 or rs though they are fantastic value for money and very quick cars for what they are but they are so far removed from the 991 Cup that they are essentially a 991.1 carrera with a trim level that includes a far better (well at least higher revving!) engine to me.

The R I honestly couldn't say having never driven one or likely ever will. As things stand, I have to admit personally I'd take a 997.1 gt3 and throw some ohlins ttx/dual springs tuned for the road, guards diff and some weight saving upgrades at it as a great road car to enjoy but again, that's hardly comparing like for like. I would love to one day drive such a car back to back vs the R though or have someone I know and trust do so!

If the R can and does recall something of the old school analogue driving experience despite it's modern underpinnings (lots of ECUs, rws, ptv etcetc) then that really is the point of the car I guess and we should all just be glad that Porsche actually has deemed it to be still an important facet of the driving experience.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Guilty, I haven't driven the R.

I assume a more fluid drive on fun roads, better RWS programming is the most intriguing and a bit more cumbersome then an RS on track, due to mechanical LSD and obviously the manual 6 speed but better then the 4.0 and GT2RS due to RWS.

But if you want the more analog involved version it would be between a 4.0 and GT2RS were money all the same. Personally I'd go further back still.

Here geography comes into play, in South Florida there is just no fun to be had on the roads, except good noises and TQ maybe. Like an AMG.
However the roads are smooth, so even a 4.0 is very comfortable, as is a 964 when in other parts of the world the Caddy like ride of a 991 is just nicer to drive.

As it is, for me the RS is only to get somewhere and fun on track. Nav, blue tooth, automatic.

If I were to live elsewhere lighter, manual cars, hydraulic steering could be the highlight of a local drive that would still be capable of many track days without break-downs.
I daily drove all my GT3's up until the 4.0 and added 40-50 track days a year.

All fascinating points of view, I'm easily persuaded differently because I do would love them all and I bet we could spend a proper afternoon yacking about it in person and never stop.

I hope you are right on the 991 GT2RS!!

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 04-02-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
I'd agree, the RS are pretenders to the real thing (ie one of the motorsport cars) but in the 6 or 7 gt3 at least, they were cars that imo to a greater or lesser degree recall something of the relevant generation's motorsport cars' driving experience. That aspect is imo now lost in the 991 gt3 or rs though they are fantastic value for money and very quick cars for what they are but they are so far removed from the 991 Cup that they are essentially a 991.1 carrera with a trim level that includes a far better (well at least higher revving!) engine to me.

The R I honestly couldn't say having never driven one or likely ever will. As things stand, I have to admit personally I'd take a 997.1 gt3 and throw some ohlins ttx/dual springs tuned for the road, guards diff and some weight saving upgrades at it as a great road car to enjoy but again, that's hardly comparing like for like. I would love to one day drive such a car back to back vs the R though or have someone I know and trust do so!

If the R can and does recall something of the old school analogue driving experience despite it's modern underpinnings (lots of ECUs, rws, ptv etcetc) then that really is the point of the car I guess and we should all just be glad that Porsche actually has deemed it to be still an important facet of the driving experience.
Just let me know and you can try my R.
Same for you Peter, if we're ever in same continent at the same time!
Old 04-02-2017, 05:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by isv
I do agree! To make it worse there is very few setup help from Porsche or anyone who races the RS in Germany..

Footsoldier, Goodwood?
Old 04-02-2017, 05:18 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm living in la la land because you can't fight the fat-arsed market but I think the R, minus the silly price magnesium roof and plus rear seats, is what the Carrera should be, and the RS should be really raw and light for purists: SWB; hydraulic steering; no RWS; mechanical LSD; no torque-vectoring; switchable ABS; stiff, fixed engine mounts; light, single-mass flywheel; minimal sound deadening; reduced interior trim without even a console for all the electronic crap (without a console it would also look like a rear engine car again); and put the cost savings into more carbon fibre.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Footsoldier, Goodwood?
It's possible...I am historic racing at Brands Hatch that weekend, but maybe only on the Saturday.

If I am going to make it to Goodwood on Sunday I will definitely let you know and give you a chance to change your mind ;-)
Would be good to see the new 2RS at same time.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
I know I'm living in la la land because you can't fight the fat-arsed market but I think the R, minus the silly price magnesium roof and plus rear seats, is what the Carrera should be, and the RS should be really raw and light for purists: SWB; hydraulic steering; no RWS; mechanical LSD; no torque-vectoring; switchable ABS, stiff, fixed engine mounts; light, single-mass flywheel; minimal sound deadening; reduced interior trim without even a console for all the electronic crap (without a console it would also look like a rear engine car again); and put the cost savings into more carbon fibre.
That's pretty what I hoped R would be, and I was disappointed when I saw the specs. It does add up to more than the sum of the parts-bin though, especially for those of us who were lucky to get at MRSP.

My guilty secret is that I really like RWS. IMO It's not a driver aid in the
same way as ABS, TC, ESP etc, it just makes the car more agile and handle better.
Less 'authentic' then yes.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:37 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I do agree! To make it worse there is very few setup help from Porsche or anyone who races the RS in Germany..

Footsoldier, Goodwood?
The 997.2 GT3RS did race at the N24 and fnished ahead of many cup cars and then drove back to Stuttgart.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:13 PM
NoPaddleShiftFor
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm with Footsoldier. Of course we only live 30 miles apart so spend weekends on those same great driving roads. May have my R at Goodwood too. Am on a Europe trip the week before in my LP640 so still working on the Mrs.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:26 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
As things stand, I have to admit personally I'd take a 997.1 gt3 and throw some ohlins ttx/dual springs tuned for the road, guards diff and some weight saving upgrades at it as a great road car to enjoy but again, that's hardly comparing like for like. I would love to one day drive such a car back to back vs the R though or have someone I know and trust do so!
That's how I feel about my 996.2 GT3 with Motons + monoballs. Hopefully I get to compare it to the manual 991.2 GT3 as a proxy for the R.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brake dust
The 997.2 GT3RS did race at the N24 and fnished ahead of many cup cars and then drove back to Stuttgart.
Right, exactly. I meant the 991RS.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

It's possible...I am historic racing at Brands Hatch that weekend, but maybe only on the Saturday.

If I am going to make it to Goodwood on Sunday I will definitely let you know and give you a chance to change your mind ;-)
Would be good to see the new 2RS at same time.
I bought tickets but waiting for Mrs approval. The possibility of the 991GT2RS being at goodwood is exiting. I'll be in UK for 10 days or so for work and fun. Need to do some nice driving roads without too many stone walls

Originally Posted by NoPaddleShiftFor
I'm with Footsoldier. Of course we only live 30 miles apart so spend weekends on those same great driving roads. May have my R at Goodwood too. Am on a Europe trip the week before in my LP640 so still working on the Mrs.
maybe I'll see two R's then?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:31 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just let me know and you can try my R.
Same for you Peter, if we're ever in same continent at the same time!
Very kind but truth be told I'm probably more comfortable with you trying my car than vice versa!

Let me know if you're ever due at Silverstone, will bring down the 4.0 and would be very interested in what you think of it.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:26 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

4.0 all day long.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

I wonder why the 4.0 is frequently regarded as 2nd most coveted 911 next to 73rs and so universally desired even by people who have never driven one (or maybe even seen one in person)? I have one and love it and will never sell it but it seems like the car has taken on a legendary status even beyond its merits as a car/collector item. I could totally understand that view on 997 board but even seeing it on 991 forum, when the R is in the discussion, it speaks to how well regarded the car is by all. It seems like the R may be forever branded as the "VIP-only LE" where the 997-4.0 as the "real enthusiast LE" that eventually appreciated to VIP-only-bank-account status. I guess, also, the 997 4.0 has the benefit of being THE LAST 997 to ever roll off of the assembly line and the only 4.0 mezger ever. Whereas the 991R is mid-cycle, shares engine with RS and will be out-done by future offerings in the 991 lineup.

On the 2rs, there are days I definitely wish I hadn't sold mine. It landed in an odd category for me. More than any car I've ever owned, to really make the 997 2rs fun, it needed to be driven REALLY hard. I hear people mention that about the 991-3rs but the 997-2rs takes fast=fun to a whole new level: Way, way too fast for any streets IMO and I'm not one that adheres to the speed limit when I have a clear lane. And, once it shot up in value a year-or-so ago, I couldn't make sense of tracking it; I'm not sure I could enjoy tracking a car, that expensive, with that much of its value tied up in "collectability premium". But, while at COTA recently, I couldn't help but think, "my god, I wish I could take my old 2rs around this thing for a couple sessions!". For those with enough dough to not give a **** about defiling a 4-500k collectors item, the 2rs has to be my car of choice for a thrilling/scary experience around a fast track like COTA. As a fun car to look at during CnC and/or a spirited drive on a sunny Sunday morning, I think the 997-2rs is a yawner.

So, w/out enough *****+wallet to track it and several other cars I'd pick for CnC/backroad driving, it falls off the list for me because I couldn't find a way to really enjoy it. But I admire it for the niche beast that it is and for what it was designed to do before becoming a half-mil collected item (track king).

Quick Reply: if money's the same...R, 4.0RS, or GT2RS